Foreigners in Thailand face fines and jail for overstaying as visa amnesty ends

snoop1130

1 minute ago, Starmocihc said:

Why anyone would "buy" property here, is beyond any rationale thought. I have friends who've done it, and I always just smile, thumbs up and snicker to myself. ????????

You can buy property in Thailand, you just can't possess Thai land as a foreigner. But your Thai wife can. 

• Like 1

There seems to be a lot of entitled tourists here. Of course, if you don't have the correct visa, you have to leave, Thailand isn't a dosshouse for international lost souls.

There's a Thai saying, "it never rains on your neighbours without you getting wet feet".  Get legalized or leave, you are making it hard for the tourists that satisfy the requirements.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, genericptr said:

Given the absolute shambles tourism is currently in, I still can't believe they're going to send all these tourists home without even offering some alternative visa.

What's the explanation for this behavior?

Couldn't agree more if there are 150,000 still here and they spend as little as 300 baht a day is that not.?

150,000 x 300 = 45 million a DAY x 7 =350 million a week not including accommodation. then they will be out in force to arrest overstayers and ban them. A very conservative of estimate 350 million  not going into the economy per week 1400 a month, pure madness.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

how dumb can you be to chase away the 150.000 remaining tourists that MIGHT want to stay longer with crazy conditions nobody unless being JAILED would accept in the real world ...

Many Thais would want to stay indefinitely in my country, Scotland. However, we have strict immigration rules. Please tell me why Thailand should be the Flophouse of the world?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, genericptr said:

Given the absolute shambles tourism is currently in, I still can't believe they're going to send all these tourists home without even offering some alternative visa.

What's the explanation for this behavior?

Irrational self-destructive tendencies, or more probably just thoughtless misunderstanding of the current circumstances. 

Just now, 4737 Carlin said:

I reckon a lot of the younger foreigners living here were digital nomads who work online. It's virtually impossible for them to get long-term visas - maybe just an ED or volunteer visa. Most of the younger foreigners who were here in Chiang mai have disappeared.

the few that remain ..... found a way.   usually that way involves money.   welcome to the real world.

almost everything now is  :  take it or leave it  ( or pay )

don't blame me .   its what they call the new normal.   haha  not so new.   just getting harder all the time to live free 

5 minutes ago, 4737 Carlin said:

I reckon a lot of the younger foreigners living here were digital nomads who work online. It's virtually impossible for them to get long-term visas - maybe just an ED or volunteer visa. Most of the younger foreigners who were here in Chiang mai have disappeared.

Had they made the money many claim they make doing the digital type of work, well then they could have ponied up the money and bougt the TE Visa to stay, but still they would not be legal for working in Thailand.  No Visa is designed for a Digital Nomad unless he or she is listed as an employee of a company and then can obtain a Non-Imm B with a WP and pay the taxes associated with it.  Clear as mud I know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, genericptr said:

Are there even any Americans left in California? All I see are Mexicans and Chinese when I pass through the airport. 

US immigration makes no sense to me either. We have 300k Thais and 10s of millions of South Americans but a Britt can't get in without 500k$? How did the Thais get there then? Don't get me started on US immigration.

Indeed, it would cost me 16 million baht to retire in the US, yet there are some US retirees here that complain about paying 500,000 baht for an Elite visa.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

The explanation is simply that they lack common sense or a basic understanding of economics. This government could barely boil an egg between them, let alone forge and enact an effective economic policy regarding the current situation. Regardless of how lenient they have been on those who have been stranded here (and I would be the first to say they have been), Thailand is now facing its seventh month of near 0 foreign tourism, with a negligible number of tourist arrivals since April. Their economy will have shrunk massively by the end of the 4th quarter of 2020 and with no obvious answer to their dire economic woes on the horizon it does seem utterly insane to evict perhaps as many as 400,000 essentially foreign 'tourists'. People who will continue to pile money into the economy and potentially travel / continue to travel around the place providing some much needed support for near destitute tourist reliant business around the country. Furthermore the government would need only slap a 2k baht fee on creating and renewing 30 or 60 day visas for those who are here and have been since April (and therefore pose NO risk re: Covid) which is effectively what they are going to do for people ENTERING from the outside world - people who in their eyes at least, DO pose more of a risk, so I ask again - why not boost their revenue substantially by doing this, rather than booting out billions of baht that they sure as hell won't get back any time soon from any foreign tourists with a laughable 14 day quarantine and god knows how many other asinine hoops to jump through! Typical Thai government thinking I'm afraid - one word for it - woolly. 

It would, appear that way to the uninitiated but the Thais know exactly what they are doing.

The economic crisis will be more than mitigated by the face the regime will gain from defeating the COVID-19 virus and getting rid of all the foreigners hanging on is just an added bonus. 

11 hours ago, genericptr said:

Admins: How can I block this user? Nagging anti-Tourist expats on the visa forum make posting here an unpleasant experience at times.

Right-click on their name and click ignore user. I've done it to a few. Unfortunately, you still see their comments if someone quotes them. I don't know of any way to avoid that.