Foreigners in Thailand face fines and jail for overstaying as visa amnesty ends

snoop1130

31 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yet the MSM would lead you to believe the Sky was Falling.  When you look at the total population and the percentage of infections, Covid is fairly low as a percentage.  Just stay away from large groups, mask up as you say and he should be just fine.  Thailand has no idea of how much or many Covid infections they have as they are not testing like all the other larger countries are.  Should the US have followed the Thai model and not tested well then....that is a whole different ball game and story. 

Fear of catching Covid has gripped these folks who came on tourists Visas and rather then play the game and convert or obtain a proper Visa, they just want to hide out here.  Thailand does not give out free rides folks, eventually we all have to pay the piper.

They should have alowed everyone here on Tourist  Visas, Visa Exempt, ect to get say 90 day issued Covid Visas as everyone already here is Covid free and could pay so they wouldn't have to go home. I am from US and would be scared silly if I had to fly back.

14 hours ago, mancub said:

1 year overstay for bt20k and only a 1 year ban seems like a good deal !

Especially considering that the much-touted "special tourist visa", which is only good for a maximum of 180 days, would be substantially more expensive with all those add-on costs involved. Not to mention the ridiculously convoluted process of obtaining one in the first place.

Edited by Misterwhisper

12 hours ago, jackdd said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came_...

First the tourists and then the retirees?

The Thais who lose their jobs will disagree with you.

I'll tell you what fella.....lets get Thailand to remove all Visas indefinately. Come and go as you please forever and a day.

Thailand has been incredibly generous over the current visa amnesty one of the best in the World.....period

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

What hoops.??......I have been getting a visa 1,900baht since it started, what hoops??

Do you mean the standing rules ...got to over 50 have x amount in Bank account..etc....are the hoops your taliking about

yes them hoops ...but go via agent not need any thing . why ? thought they wanted to get well heeled people in thailand..  ... 

Tourist 

They say there are 155k of tourist here now.  So tourist please leave because you are not spending enough money for them to grant you an extension. They don’t want you no more here. Do you not understand the words coming out their mouths! ????????

That being said, when you do leave, ensure you pass on to family, friends and community, Thailand is not the only country with beaches and bars. I know they not coming to see temples when they don’t even go to church at home.  So bottom line, it the bars and beaches.

Now if you found someone here, they will be here when you return as long as you send them support money. If not they will surely find another Joey home.  

Now once you leave, remember not to be a fool and come back with all the restrictions they have put in place. No matter how good that kitty cat or toss the salad is/was, don’t be that sucker they are hoping will return.

There 6 days to get your new visa if you planning to stay. If you go to jail, they want allow you to return. That’s in the fine print. ????????????????

I think the undercurrent is an attempt to clean house of visa and overstay abusers.

What is missing is a clear and coordinated definition and campaign with all immigration offices to Separate legitimacy from abuse. 
in fairness that is not a simple task but could be accomplished if directed strongly from the top.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, yeahbutif said:

yes them hoops ...but go via agent not need any thing . why ? thought they wanted to get well heeled people in thailand..  ... 

Well Heeled people...... I have seen prices quoted of 12-15,000 Baht on here --300--375 quid. For a years visa, If that's your interpretation of well heeled I must be walking around 6 inch Stiletto's

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mlkik said:

A tourist is somebody who comes for a holiday. It is not someone who should be able to live in the country for ever !

Why do tourists think they should be able to stay with no regulation and people who have the correct visa for long stay have to meet all sorts of regulations regarding money in the bank,health insurance,90 day reports etc ?

You are technically correct, but we are not living in 'normal' times, strange times call for strange measures!

The 'tourists' that have been living here have been eating food, drinking beer, water, wine etc, they have been in accommodation somewhere, in other words contributing money to the Thai economy.

The Thai government are desperate to get 'tourists' to come back to Thailand, hence the long stay visas we have been hearing about. but with so many hoops to jump thru it is uncertain how many will take the bait.

Why not let the 'tourists' already here, virus free, stay until something can be worked out? Who loses, no-one!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, genericptr said:

Given the absolute shambles tourism is currently in, I still can't believe they're going to send all these tourists home without even offering some alternative visa.

What's the explanation for this behavior?

It's called xenophobia.......  Get out, your time is up...... 

3 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

should be taken down? as in censorship?

"waaaah nasty man on the interwebs said something i dont agree with pleeeeeeeeeaze take it away waaaaaah"

pathetic. grow a pair man

No, taken down because, essentially, it is a form of trolling.

As for " growing a pair", well, you know nothing about my past life, and any circumstances or events in it which may have required me to show courage, or indeed whether I showed courage or not.

However I do not feel the need to sport an avatar or user name which suggests, however indirectly, that I am in some way the recipient of, or otherwise connected with, a medal which is awarded for outstanding bravery!

That said, most of the medals I do hold were for " being first in the NAAFI queue" at assorted exciting times!

If we are exchanging such pleasantries, perhaps you should "wind your neck in"?

Edited by herfiehandbag

1 hour ago, Miami007 said:

you are forgetting the ban on China at the beginning of the pandemic - oh wait, there was no ban and the first case outside of China was in Thailand. But Chinese tourists could enter in January and February... without quarantine.  Why did they not infect anyone in Thailand?  Why would only western tourists infect Thais?

Something does not add up 

They did infect locals. I recall at least one airport taxi driver being identified as having caught it from a Chinese hire. Anyway, spart from flogging that particular dead horse, where has anyone claimed that western tourists are dangerously infectious? Even every Thai bashers go-to favorite government piñata, the DPM and Health Minister Nuu specifically shrieked that it was 'dirty farangs' and not all western tourists.

14 hours ago, mlkik said:

A tourist is somebody who comes for a holiday. It is not someone who should be able to live in the country for ever !

Why do tourists think they should be able to stay with no regulation and people who have the correct visa for long stay have to meet all sorts of regulations regarding money in the bank,health insurance,90 day reports etc ?

Five minute warrior.......   What about just paying for extensions and staying and contributing to the economy that is rapidly sinking ?    Afterall, even people on tourist visas spend money......    You still don't get it do you...... You're the wrong nationality and probably colour.......  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ukrules said:

It was a post on this forum.

14 hours ago, fangless said:

Where?

14 hours ago, jackdd said:

This was probably my post, and i provided the source.

See my posts #18 and #20 here:

Ease up with the "show me where you got your info from" demands - the fella read it somewhere For Flip's Sake.
Firstly, he's not writing a thesis where he has to reference everything with footnotes at the end.
Secondly, anyone who believes that quoting a webpage somewhere is proof of truth is of such a low IQ that they deserve to be ignored anyway.

Einstein: "Yaaay - I've discovered Relativity!"
TVF Poster: "Huh. Show me a link to prove it."

Edited by robsamui
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, genericptr said:

Given the absolute shambles tourism is currently in, I still can't believe they're going to send all these tourists home without even offering some alternative visa.

What's the explanation for this behavior?

It's a good question. Send this batch of tourists home, then try and get a new batch to come with many strings attached!!! There are expats who stay in Thailand with long term visa extensions based on marriage, retirement or being a parent to a Thai child that are stranded outside Thailand. These folks have committed to Thailand, but Thailand has not reciprocated. This is their adopted home, they help the economy on an ongoing basis but they have no preferred status and at this time many are not allowed to return. For me it's sent a chill through the investment community. Why buy in Thailand when I may be barred from re-entry?  It seems they are doing the opposite to what might actually help them.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

No-one, as far as I can see is saying that. ".lets get Thailand to remove all Visas indefinitely."

Although Thailand has been slightly generous, they really had no other option for an amnesty as many people could not leave due to Thailand closing the air space and borders.

What many people ARE saying is other countries have actually been far more generous in letting tourists stay in their country until an actual solution is worked out. So either a vaccine or some other solution.

Thailand is desperately trying to get tourists to go there, hence these long term visas, but how many people will avail themselves of this is uncertain due the hoops to jump and the  cost.

There is 155K tourists already here, according to the Thai authorities, that will need to leave by the 26th of September. Why not let those that want to stay, stay?? What is the downside for anyone? Strange times calls for strange measures after all.

When the Thai authorities have a workable solution to get more tourists here, then make sure the existing tourists leave.

Everyone wins!

Sorry totally disagree. These guys are pushing the boundaries utterly deliberately you know it I know it and more importantly immigration knows it

Get em out....

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

No, taken down because, essentially, it is a form of trolling.

As for " growing a pair", well, you know nothing about my past life, and any circumstances or events in it which may have required me to show courage, or indeed whether I showed courage or not.

However I do not feel the need to sport an avatar or user name which suggests, however indirectly, that I am in some way the recipient of, or otherwise connected with, a medal which is awarded for outstanding bravery!

That said, most of the medals I do hold were for " being first in the NAAFI queue" at assorted exciting times!

If we are exchanging such pleasantries, perhaps you should "wind your neck in"?

Explain how my post, #35, was trolling please, I laid out the facts and that was it, nothing more.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Well Heeled people...... I have seen prices quoted of 12-15,000 Baht on here --300--375 quid. For a years visa, If that's your interpretation of well heeled I must be walking around 6 inch Stiletto's

I think that you misunderstood the gist of their post. You are actually in agreement with them.

34 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I take it your from Oz...so you must be pleased with the way your country is so kind to over stayers. (not talking about illegal immigrants), but tourist like the ones here--who come to Oz then decide to stay, 

Between 2016 and 2017 the Department of Home Affairs tracked down 15,885 people who were overstaying their visas and kicked them out of the country or placed them in detention. People caught overstaying can face detention, deportation and bans from re-entering Australia for a minimum period of three years. I think you will find for a country one third of the population of Thailand.......they have kicked out quite a few tourist.

Perhaps you should write something telling people not to visit there.

Your totally missing the point, obviously on purpose. Currently the world is in a Pandemic, it was not in 2016 and 2017. Strange times call for strange measures.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Sorry totally disagree. These guys are pushing the boundaries utterly deliberately you know it I know it and more importantly immigration knows it

Get em out....

Are you in Thailand or elsewhere? Some of the most irate posts of "leave!" are from the bitter folks who is stuck in their own countries.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Explain how my post, #35, was trolling please, I laid out the facts and that was it, nothing more.

Your post wasn't trolling. I was commenting in my reply to your post (which this fellow seized upon as "proof" that I needed to "grow a pair") on a number of other posters who had been crayoning over the thread.

I was emphatically not suggesting that you were trolling. I was suggesting that others were.

Edited by herfiehandbag

2 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

think that you misunderstood the gist of their post. You are actually in agreement with them.

I don't think so Eidhoven, his first comments were that their are to many hoops to jump through for the 1,900 baht Visa---I didn't agree , as there are only 2 main ones for that visa....be over 50 and have required money in the bank. The next was the great expense for an agent that only well heeled people can afford.

If he is finding 300---375 quid for staying another year a great expense, then yer I am in disagreement with him.