EU-bound trucks from UK could face two-day delays after Brexit, Britain says

snoop1130

13 minutes ago, RayC said:

You're missing the point. The UK is not self-sufficient in food; we need to source much of it from overseas. Most of our trade will be on your favoured WTO terms - given that we haven't got many trade deals - and I suspect that because we are talking about perishables, most of it will still come from Europe so good luck finding cheaper alternatives. It won't just be me paying more for my food. 

The point is that if you want anything imported from the EU, you will have to pay more for it unless the EU agrees a deal.

10 minutes ago, RayC said:

Typical response: a load of old pony. When challenged, your posts are shown to be full of nothing more than empty, meaningless rhetoric. Pot and kettle when it comes to 'gobbing off'.

It's all there in the .gov website. Go look why don't you? You can even bring back links if you want.

35 minutes ago, polpott said:

When we joined the Common Market (I'm old enough to remember voting in that referendum) food from our European neighbours became much cheaper. There has never been a change to the pricing of New Zealand lamb or Argentinian beef. Plus, its much fresher, not having to travel anywhere near as far.

It was also Horsemeat not so long ago.

2 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Maybe you can add some fresh products from Japan ? Fukishima area for instance...

If you want to, then you can. Hey, it will not be subject to EU tariffs either. Have a check in the latest UK - Japan agreement too.

3 minutes ago, RayC said:

The point is, which you seem unable or unwilling to grasp, is that we will all be paying more.

I keep telling you that. Did you miss it? If you want imported EU products you will have to pay more for them. Fully grasped for you?

5 minutes ago, Loiner said:

80% of the food I eat imported? Not true at all, and you don't even know a bean about my dietary habits.
Yes, sure I would support Trump if I were American.

Any argument you do not like gets beaten down? Well that part would be very Remainer, Europhile, Left winger or US Democrat. So not me, and I certainly I don't ignore you anti-Brexit nonsense.

You are so full of yourself you do not listen,ok 80% of the food other people(not you)in the UK eat is imported.

That is a fact.

And again you got it wrong,i am not against Brexit at all!!!I wish more countries would leave the EU.

You call my arguments nonsense,why?

I believe the EU in its present form is not sustainable much longer,especially the Euro.

I hope for you you will learn to accept rational thinking and try some of your own.

Have a wonderful evening.

4 minutes ago, Loiner said:

It's all there in the .gov website. Go look why don't you? You can even bring back links if you want.

Well I take it all back.

I did a search for (UK) .gov websites, and there must be 10,000+ sites. That's a lot of plans. I don't really have time to go through them all, so any chance that you could point me in the direction of, say, 'UK industrial strategy and plans post transition'?

Alternatively, a link to the 'Daily Express' article about these plans - surely there must be one? - would be helpful. Thanks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jvs said:

You are so full of yourself you do not listen,ok 80% of the food other people(not you)in the UK eat is imported.

That is a fact.

And again you got it wrong,i am not against Brexit at all!!!I wish more countries would leave the EU.

I believe the EU in its present form is not sustainable much longer,especially the Euro.

I hope for you you will learn to accept rational thinking and try some of your own.

You are so full of nonsense. The UK does not import 80% of the food it eats. 
That makes your arguments nonsense. It would be irrational to seriously consider anything else you quote while your basic premise is so wrong.
Everything is wonderful for me thanks.

10 minutes ago, jvs said:

That is a fact.

No further comment. British survey 25 June 2020.

Eur social survay member EU.webp

20 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

It seems you have problems in reading my text: thanks to Brexit my business goes better as ever as quite some EU industries and distributors ask me for alternatives to British origin.

Mark Rutte would like to keep the UK inside the EU, so just opposite... 

As usual Brexiteers do not know the hard data:

World Bank: GDP in the United Kingdom was worth 2827.11 billion US dollars in 2019 Or in GBP: a 2218 B Out of that 290B were exports to the EU. Just a 13 %.

Tell these 13 % of UK workers, they loose their jobs = have less money to spend at the groceries, the hair cutters, to maintain their car, pay their house rent of mortgages etc.. and a LOT British will be involved. And for the rest: their tax money goes for a bigger part to those "very small minority of British" for EU workers, who lost their jobs.

Read the Circular flow of income https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_flow_of_income , it's only a 260 years old.

No problem reading it. That it's rubbish and wrong is where the problem is.

• Sad 2

31 minutes ago, Loiner said:

If you want to, then you can. Hey, it will not be subject to EU tariffs either. Have a check in the latest UK - Japan agreement too.

Again... A Trump/Boris the Liar fact: NOT true, see EU import tariffs

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/taric_consultation.jsp?Lang=en

Edited by puipuitom

15 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The issue with the US chicken is quite simple, the U.K. will follow what the US determines are acceptable food standards. 

And if I go into a UK supermarket in 2021 and see US chicken, I can choose to buy it or not buy it. So what's the problem? 

4 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

And if I go into a UK supermarket in 2021 and see US chicken, I can choose to buy it or not buy it. So what's the problem? 

The problem would be that most people will look at the price,whatever is cheapest people will buy.

Most people are on a budget and do not read labels.

How many people would know there is chlorine in their chicken?

Maybe have a look at what the USA finds acceptable as far as pesticides and herbicides go.

All coming to a store near you!Enjoy.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, polpott said:

You won't get a choice.

You certainly won’t be informed if the US food you are buying has been genetically modified.

For some reason, Freedom of choice is a thing, but an informed choice is a problem (for the US) when the information relates to Genetically Moddified foods.

• Like 2