Rugby World Cup 2007

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Green and Gold :o

Yep, indeed, well done SA. Best team won on the night, although not convincingly-so, and a shame England never ran it a bit more.

Even if Whites had of won, it wouldn't have matched the satisfaction of sending home the convicts in the Quarters. :D :D

Yep, indeed, well done SA. Best team won on the night, although not convincingly-so, and a shame England never ran it a bit more.

Even if Whites had of won, it wouldn't have matched the satisfaction of sending home the convicts in the Quarters. :D :D

what a negative post, you get more satisfaction out of seeing Wallabies lose than winning an RWC final, different strokes I spose :D

World Cup final 2007- The Boks Win 15-6

some photos

_44188812_smit_get_203.jpg

South Africa captain John Smit lifts the World Cup in Paris

_44188794_matfield_get_270.jpg

The peerless Matfield ruled the skies in Paris on Saturday night

_44188781_cueto300.jpg

The decision is reverted to the Australian Television Match Official who rules that Cueto's left foot brushed the touchline

_44188745_habana300.jpg

England wing Paul Sackey gets to grips with his oppositie number and main Springbok threat, Bryan Habana, early on

_44188750_tait416.jpg

South Africa take the lead when Mathew Tait slips, holds on and Percy Montgomery slots over the resulting penalty

_44188754_wilkinson416.jpg

Referee Alain Rolland has been playing advantage though, so England pick up three points courtesy of Wilkinson's boot

_44188756_percy416.jpg

However, Montgomery nails two more penalties, the second on the stroke of half-time to put the Springboks 9-3 ahead

_44188778_c416.jpg

Tait is tackled just short of the line, but the ball is passed out to Mark Cueto who slides over for what looks like a try

_44188782_wilkinson300.jpg

Referee Alain Rolland has been playing advantage though, so England pick up three points courtesy of Wilkinson's boot

_44188791_monty416.jpg

The boot of Montgomery makes it 12-6 with a fourth penalty before the full-back is nudged out of play by Toby Flood

_44188811_steyn416.jpg

And when Ben Kay transgresses on the hour mark, Francois Steyn kicks a monster from just inside England's half

_44188801_engmedals416.jpg

There is no repeat victory for England who are disconsolate as they collect their runners-up medals

_44188803_trophy416.jpg

But for South Africa, it is a deserved win and the culmination of four year's planning for captain John Smit's young team

_44188822_smit300.jpg

Smit dedicated the win to the Springboks fans, saying: "Thank you very much for all your support, even in bad times.

Even if Whites had of won, it wouldn't have matched the satisfaction of sending home the convicts in the Quarters. :D:D

what a negative post, you get more satisfaction out of seeing Wallabies lose than winning an RWC final, different strokes I spose :D

Well done SA indeed, they played better and deserved to win, no argument. Pity that England stumbled at the last obstacle but they did better than most expected. I remember reading rancid, sour lemon flavoured posts (and indeed in the Aussie media) from our cousins of down under, when they were defeated in the quarter finals, so no lectures from them now.

Congratulations South Africa.

England - stick your chariot up yer arse.

A bit harsh Neeranam.

The game in my mind fell short of the spectacle that I thought the Boks would bring into it. The English had stuck to their game plan but the Boks would have discussed what would probably happen, and have a counter for it.

The Boks didnt really threaten to score a try, as they were confined mainly to grind it out in the forwards and keep kicking for territory. Hats off to them for adapting the game plan to beat the opposition.

MB, well it was a mighty effort, but alas the dream is over for this RWC, but Im sure you and your country men are proud of your boys, and that many here are eating their words (me included) on what they thought was a lacklustre has been side with no guts or glory.

This has been a fantastic RWC, with upsets and surprises that not many would have predicted. The gap has closed somewhat between the top tier teams and some of the minnows even thou the funding between the teams may still be vast.

Heres hoping Rugby has continued to be loved by many and that more people around the world have taken up and will love and enjoy the game.

Apart from the occasion, the game was ordinary. About half of it was spent kicking to each other from between the 22s. Mostly bombs because guys are too nervous to run it for fear of it being turned over. So we see a kicking duel of immensly average skill. Many were kick and hopes.

Apart from the break from Tait, one from Steyne, some goal kicking and some good breakdown work, there was not a lot of great rugby on display.

But the tournament overall was awesome. And the Bokke have been consistently good over the last few years and deserve the cup. So well done.

Kinda makes me proud to be South African again. Now, if they could only transfer this euphoria to ruling the country again, we may even score some points in the international community and host a successful Soccer World Cup later.

Edited by Lourens

Kinda makes me proud to be South African again. Now, if they could only transfer this euphoria to ruling the country again, we may even score some points in the international community and host a successful Soccer World Cup later.

this could go a long way to doing it, but take it a step at a time :o

Well the dream is over. I cried a little - not as much as if we had won.

Met some new guys - new American in Singapore who really enjoyed the whole atmosphere and if it turned him onto Rugby then it was worth it.

I never usually go out on a Sunday - the mainland Chinese gf is here and I am about to tell her I need to be alone even with all the sympathy she is giving me.

Sore loser - not really - I hate losing like nobody I know but try not to whinge.

Thank you grumpy old men - congratulations South Africa (and the whole pub agreed you have the best national anthem in the world - better than ours or anybody's)

Well the dream is over. I cried a little - not as much as if we had won.

Met some new guys - new American in Singapore who really enjoyed the whole atmosphere and if it turned him onto Rugby then it was worth it.

I never usually go out on a Sunday - the mainland Chinese gf is here and I am about to tell her I need to be alone even with all the sympathy she is giving me.

Sore loser - not really - I hate losing like nobody I know but try not to whinge.

Thank you grumpy old men - congratulations South Africa (and the whole pub agreed you have the best national anthem in the world - better than ours or anybody's)

it's a beautifull anthem for sure

Not a festival of running rugby but finals rarely are ... tense, gritty, compelling ... oh yes

Congrats to SA for their victory - think they were the best team in the tournament overall although they wobbled a bit in the late pool games and QF!

And well done England for excelling all expectations and getting *that* close to the comeback of the century

And finally ... well done to France for laying on a superb tournament and being gracious hosts ... NZ has a LOT to live up to in 2011!

Kinda sounds like one of your posts about England Bloncs :D

Congratulations South Africa.

England - stick your chariot up yer arse.

Well the Junky sweaties will never get there - losers in everything - 3rd rate gobshite nation whose only glory is England lose - get a life as a person and as a nation

:o

Congratulations to South Africa, a thoroughly deserved win.

Even with some harsh rulings against us England still made too many little mistakes. (that try and penalty still hurts),

The teams were well matched both physically and tactically, but its almost as if the Boks had adopted England's style of play for the match but did it better.

Their forwards mounted a supreme defense at mid field and enjoyed superior control of territory, they maintained their composure, forced some of the younger English players into making mistakes, and then crucially made their kicks into touch and penalties count.

I'm proud of the way England played though, they mounted a very respectable defense of their title.

Looking forward to the next one!

Edited by quiksilva

Maybe the fact that s.africa were the better side over the two games is a slight consolation,& also the fact that s.africa must have the worst team sporting jackets in the history of the world cup.Look like something out of hi-di-hi or Butlins holiday camp.

Well the hangover is gone and so is the World Cup. A great shame as it has had me transfixed for six glorious weeks.

I thought it was an excellent tournament. The following being big pluses and highlights -

The French did a superb job of hosting, full stadiums, lots of support for underdogs and great atmosphere surrounding the games.

England's comeback from the dead to make the final

The performance of the smaller nations was also encouraging for the future. Seeing sides like Tonga and Samoa competing with the top tier countries, minnows like Portugal scoring a try against the ABs all made an impact

Argentina's rise to a top tier country was absolutely confirmed. They will win the Cup one day

Fiji's fabulous performances also shined. Their games against Wales and South Africa were two of my favourites

That great Saturday when England and France destoyed the myth of Antipodean invincibility

England besting France to make the final shame we couldn't make it one step further.

So that's it from me - see you all for the Six Nations. Great thread Donny 1,000+ posts :o

MB signing out

Congratulations South Africa 2007 World Champions

final8.jpg

Time for a new thread since the RWC is done and dusted?

Let this one slide off the bottom and start a general one: World Rugby - discussion and Thailand viewing etc OR do we start a S14 / Tri Nations specific one and a Northern Hemisphere one too?

Also BKK 7s on this weekend. Serevi (yes THE Serevi) is playing.

Uit die blou van onse hemel, uit die diepte van ons see,Oor ons ewige gebergtes waar die kranse antwoord gee.Deur ons ver-verlate vlaktes met die kreun van

I remember singing that back in Std 6 at Boksburg High School.

Not good memories............... :o