Diesel Engine Relax

stouricks

3 hours ago, transam said:

So why does a Vigo handbook quote idling times at shutdown, quoting advised idle times for a given speed used before shutdown...?

This is my translation from the owners manual I have which is in Thai. If anyone desires the Thai text I can post that too. The bold text below should answer the OP question: "They said that after such a long trip they had to let the engine 'relax'. Is this necessary or bu..s.it?"

These are just rough guidelines as there are going to be so many different scenarios but I think any guy knows when he's been working his ride hard and the engine is hot.

From the manual:

---------------------------------------
Precautions for stopping the turbo charged Diesel engine.

After driving at high speed or driving for a long time, etc., causing the engine to work very hard before turning off the engine it should idle as shown in the table.
Driving conditions and engine idle time
-Normal city driving-
Idling time - optional/unnecessary

-Driving at high speed-

About 80 km - hrs.

Idling time - about 20 seconds

About 100 km - hrs.

Idling time - about 1 minute
Driving on steep slopes or driving continuously for
long duration
with a speed exceeding 100 km / h.
idling time - about 2 minutes
Caution
Do not turn off the engine immediately
after heavy use to prevent engine damage

I always thought the the turbo charger spins with an oil lubricant.

If the turbo charger is still spinning when you turn the engine off , the oil will stop pumping to the Turbo , thus no lubricant 

and this will increase wear and tear.

1 hour ago, KeeTua said:

This is my translation from the owners manual I have which is in Thai. If anyone desires the Thai text I can post that too. The bold text below should answer the OP question: "They said that after such a long trip they had to let the engine 'relax'. Is this necessary or bu..s.it?"

These are just rough guidelines as there are going to be so many different scenarios but I think any guy knows when he's been working his ride hard and the engine is hot.

From the manual:

After driving at high speed or driving for a long time, etc., causing the engine to work very hard before turning off the engine it should idle as shown in the table.
-Normal city driving-

-Driving at high speed-

About 80 km - hrs.

About 100 km - hrs.

long duration
Caution

Correct, plus I have an English handbook...:thumbsup:

On 10/4/2020 at 3:51 PM, NE1 said:

I always thought the the turbo charger spins with an oil lubricant.

If the turbo charger is still spinning when you turn the engine off , the oil will stop pumping to the Turbo , thus no lubricant 

and this will increase wear and tear.

there is still oil present to lubricate the turbo but as no oil is circulating that oil in the turbo runs the risk of being cooked which then in turn has the potential to create further damage over time.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2020 at 3:35 PM, KeeTua said:

From the manual:

-Normal city driving-

-Driving at high speed-

About 80 km - hrs.

About 100 km - hrs.

long duration
Caution

How long does it take to find a place and park?

Once the speed decreases, things start to cool down quicker than an instant halt because of airflow. Not quite the same scenario as an instant halt.

If temperature after usage is such a significant risk, a competent design would include a 'shutdown' timer as standard. However, nowadays the industry is going in the opposite direction by including 'auto shutdown' for reasons of ecology.

Any such instruction in a handbook is just a caveat against poor design (by the manufacturer) or poor maintenance (by the owner).

On 10/4/2020 at 11:37 AM, transam said:

No, 2015 isn't old, or is it to you.?

The turbo is not water cooled, it relies on the oil pulling heat away as the turbo slows, which in itself takes quite a while.... 

I thrashed  the pants  off  my  Vigo  for 300000km never  idled it  ever, 2009 model d4d sold it with original turbo and clutch  I'd  say driving in city traffic is  going to be way more damaging.

12 hours ago, gunderhill said:

I thrashed  the pants  off  my  Vigo  for 300000km never  idled it  ever, 2009 model d4d sold it with original turbo and clutch  I'd  say driving in city traffic is  going to be way more damaging.

The handbook procedures regarding turbo care are exactly that, care. They want the turbo to last as long as the rest of the ride regardless of usage.

Turbo's are not fragile things, they are carefully engineered bits of kit, but manufacturers advice is there to assure longevity.

Now if your usage was done on another similar ride it may have failed way back, who knows..???? 

On 10/9/2020 at 9:00 AM, transam said:

MyD4D used synthetic, well I am posh....????................????

Standard is  semi, well that's  what they put in mine for 300k odd kilometres before I sold it and that  poor  old turbo was  still doing just fine on the cheapo stuff.

3 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Standard is  semi, well that's  what they put in mine for 300k odd kilometres before I sold it and that  poor  old turbo was  still doing just fine on the cheapo stuff.

I know what oil the D4D uses, but as I used the ride for short hops and many start-ups I used syn most of the time, my insurance, you obviously didn't care, but that's OK, many don't.......... ????