PR based on marriage/family

I was told it is possible to get permanent residency based on tenure of marriage, as opposed to tenure of business (working here).

I thought previously there was one set of requirements for applying for PR, and just the fact you are married just halved the application fee, so this is news to me.

Can I get some clarification - thanks

It is not possible to apply for PR unless working for 3 consecutive years with a work permit permit and paying taxes.

There is a long outdated directive from 2003 on the immigration website that has not been used since about 2009.

See page 11 here for the current requirements. Permanent Residency Requirements June 2019.pdf

Thanks @ubonjoe.  I had a feeling this report was misinformed.     I have been working here 25 years (and paying taxes), but with  a variety of jobs.   In the last 5 years actually changed jobs twice, but taking 3-4 weeks break between each. Do you think that would be a problem ?

7 minutes ago, drbrit said:

In the last 5 years actually changed jobs twice, but taking 3-4 weeks break between each. Do you think that would be a problem ?

Taking a break between jobs could be a problem to meet the 3 consecutive years requirement.

You could also apply for Thai nationality if you can meet the requirements for PR since you are married to a Thai.

31 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Taking a break between jobs could be a problem to meet the 3 consecutive years requirement.

You could also apply for Thai nationality if you can meet the requirements for PR since you are married to a Thai.

Can nationality be applied for independently of having PR?  I thought normal process was PR first then nationality can follow.

I have been married for 12 years here (officially registered)

21 minutes ago, drbrit said:

Can nationality be applied for independently of having PR?  I thought normal process was PR first then nationality can follow.

I have been married for 12 years here (officially registered)

That was changed in 2008 when a new nationality act went into effect.

If married to a Thai you do not have to have PR before applying  for Thai nationality.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That was changed in 2008 when a new nationality act went into effect.

If married to a Thai you do not have to have PR before applying  for Thai nationality.

Understand - thanks Ubonjoe - you are a star and great source of credible info