EU, UK to step up Brexit talks to try to close 'significant gaps' over trade deal

rooster59

11 hours ago, Loiner said:

I don't think it will be shown to be a mistake, but given the EU negotiation antics, we will enjoy a new renaissance and the Remainers will be proved mistaken. 

"Given the E.U. negotiaton antics" is of course a personal view.

Many will support your view, as many will reject it, and instead blame the U.K..

It is my opinion that, except for the hard Brexiteers, who are already completely convinced, the U.K. government will have to prove, starting next year, with concrete, viewable facts for everyone,

to the Remainers that they were mistaken,

to the Leavers that they were right. 

3 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

"Given the E.U. negotiaton antics" is of course a personal view.

Many will support your view, as many will reject it, and instead blame the U.K..

It is my opinion that, except for the hard Brexiteers, who are already completely convinced, the U.K. government will have to prove, starting next year, with concrete, viewable facts for everyone,

to the Remainers that they were mistaken,

to the Leavers that they were right. 

who cares what happens when we leave?this will be down to the uks po!iticians,at least they won,t be able to chant the mantra.... " we can,t do that the eu rules won,t let us"

1 minute ago, kingdong said:

who cares what happens when we leave?

It seems you are not,

but I am sure many Britons care about the future of their country. 

And among the many, pretty convinced the great majority, want it to be positive. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

It seems you are not,

but I am sure many Britons care about the future of their country. 

And among the many, pretty convinced the great majority, want it to be positive. 

i care about my country,and want a future for my children and grandchildren thats why i voted leave.

4 minutes ago, kingdong said:

i care about my country,and want a future for my children and grandchildren thats why i voted leave.

Fair enough,

some wish the same, and thought the only way they could obtain that was by voting Remain. 

The results of the voting  was, 

that 52% thinks like you, and 48% otherwise. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, polpott said:

Big mistake. You'll realise that soon.

That's also an opinion, many agree and many don't. 

We will have to wait & see if :

-the Remainers can agree that they make a mistake, if indeed all becomes good and better. 

-the Leavers can agree that they make a mistake if unfortunately it not becomes better. 

-the hard Brexiteers will  not blame everything on the E.U., if the outcome is not what they expected. 

( if this would be true ...would it mean that Boris has no say (power) of calling "his Lordship" away from the negotiations table....or is he backing of from his " walk away "........moment ot trueth coming ?

????)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/10/09/brexit-negotiations-will-continue-beyond-boris-johnsons-october/

Brexit negotiations will continue beyond Boris Johnson’s October 15 deadline, Michel Barnier tells EU ambassadors

EU has set a deadline to avoid Britain leaving the transition period without a trade deal

By James Crisp, Brussels Correspondent 9 October 2020 • 7:40pm

Brexit negotiations will continue even if a deal is not reached by Boris Johnson’s October 15 deadline, Michel Barnier has informed EU ambassadors. ...

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

^

I don't think the U.K. government is already able to do something now. 

I think we will have to wait till next year if the U.K. government wil implement new laws/regulations to modify their actual approach on immigrants /"refugees". 

In fact all is about waiting, for the moment we only have speculations. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, polpott said:

I'm not really interested in scoring points. Most of my friends voted Brexit.

I'm only concerned about my country's economy going down the pan for some altruistic dream regarding "sovereignty" which was never an issue as, in reality, we never lost our sovereignty.

Add that to the hard right's war cry of "take back control of our borders" primarily aimed at immigrants crossing the channel from France. That went well didn't it? In August more immigrants crossed the Channel in one month than in the whole of 2019 when we were still in the EU. As fellow EU members, the French authorities worked closely with the British to minimise illegal crossings. Not any more, if caught with a boat on the beach, the French authorities just say to the illegals, "Bon voyage".

Don't talk cobblers. As far as the rules go we are still in the EU.

• Like 2

Just now, nauseus said:

That's not how the French authorities see it. How else do you explain why more boat people crossed the Channel in August than in the whole of 2019?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

U.K. still the same ...one foot in it and  one foot out it ... as it fit's them ....45 years behaviour like that opportunistic behaviour....????

No country in the E.U. wants "refugees", but there are E.U. laws/regulations they are suppose to follow. 

Interpretations of these laws may vary from one country to another. 

Maybe indeed the French don't see anymore that there are "refugees" leaving France for the U.K.. 

They can not stop them if they don't see them. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Wait, you're saying we have to renegotiate the WA now? What evidence do you have for this? 

Its not a question of renegotiating the WA.

But all the things you guys hated in Mays deal like freedom of movement, are going to be included in the FTA.

Johnson is already backsliding on his deadline. He knows he cant go for no deal because its going to damage the economy too much. On top of corona damage. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, luckyluke said:

Maybe indeed the French don't see anymore that there are "refugees" leaving France for the U.K.. 

They can not stop them if they don't see them. 

Of course they see them, unless they "look the other way". They're just glad to see the back of them and wave them on their way. Not that I blame them, if I were French, I would want the government to do the same.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Isn't it? The central, and most difficult, part of the WA was the Irish border issue. With the British government urinating all over that, doesn't it bring the whole of the WA into question?

22 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

But all the things you guys hated in Mays deal like freedom of movement, are going to be included in the FTA.

Johnson is already backsliding on his deadline. He knows he cant go for no deal because its going to damage the economy too much. On top of corona damage. 

Besides his action to take U.K. out of E.U. this was only the tool to become PM. nothing else ....and he even got a God's Gift of 80 seats majority ...that now even troubles the Conservatives of stopping him for things they evem dont like......they created a Dictator now....????

Edited by david555
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Rookiescot said:

I dont think that is going to happen. If you have UK access to the single market then its no longer an issue. I honestly believe the entire thing was a bluff by Johnson.

The EU didnt blink.

There will be no UK access to the single market. No trade deal, no resolution of the Irish border issue, no access to the single market.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, polpott said:

There will be no UK access to the single market. No trade deal, no resolution of the Irish border issue, no access to the single market.

Thats what I believed until I started to see Johnson backsliding on his trade talks deadline. 

No way would he have done that IF he was happy with no deal as he has always claimed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1