EU, UK to step up Brexit talks to try to close 'significant gaps' over trade deal

rooster59

6 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

We went into the transition phase. Essentially nothing changes until that ends.

One thing the economists did see was the huge drop in the value of the pound upon Brexit winning. Now that has come true has it not?

When we leave in January is when the rest will kick in. Signs are Remain was right. 

George managed to get just one of his prognosticators right. Even Nostradamus had a better hit rate than that. 

We haven’t had a Remainer reminder about the exchange rate for a while. That is however, probably only temporary and a price worth paying to Leave the EU. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Yep, Macron is probably petrified of being lynched by the French fishermen.  He's already got the yellow vests baying for his blood. 

Macron trying to save his own skin could well force a no deal. 

With Cummings at the helm, no deal was always on the agenda. The only question now is who the brexiteers will blame.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

With Cummings at the helm, no deal was always on the agenda. The only question now is who the brexiteers will blame.

We would blame the Remainers of course.

They blame us Leavers for everything else. ????

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, billd766 said:

We would blame the Remainers of course.

They blame us Leavers for everything else. ????

Like we ( the men in the street in Europe ) will blame the U.K. ( Remainers and Leavers) if Brexit would change anything in our daily life.

If negative of course.

If positive, we won't say a word.???? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

I would really like this to go to court, can you just imagine Boris in the dock and the judge saying to him.

Judge. Mr Johnson you stand before me today charged with carrying out the wishes of the British electorate, how do you plead?

Boris. Guilty as charged ma lud.

Judge. Do you expect me to believe that any politician would do what the British people voted for.

Boris. Yes m'lud

Judge. And did you have any accomplices in this 'following the wishes of the British people.'

Boris. Yes m'lud, my mate Dom and the rest of the democratic side in parliament.

Judge. Dispicable, you wantonly enacted a democratic referendum for the British people when you almost certainly knew that the remainers would not like it. I have no option but to find you guilty, never in my time as a judge have I seen such a blatant display of democrasy, 30 years, send him down.

how many delirium pills did you take this morning

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

how many delirium pills did you take this morning

Weeeeell, I think his post was aimed at something you, and a few others,  would understand.....????...A bit like..

Edited by transam
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

There are only two possible outcomes that I can see.

Either Johnson remains true to his word and delivers a no deal Brexit.

Or Johnson capitulates and gives the EU what it wants.

This is what happens when you are the junior partner in any negotiations. The EU cannot give the UK a deal where it is better off than being a full member. If it did everyone would want the same thing. So no chance there.

However Johnson knows that no deal is basically not an option either. Despite all the bluff and bluster it would be an act of economic suicide. The EU knows that as well.

So what is going to happen is in the next couple of months Johnson is going to announce his great deal. A fantastic deal that gives us everything we want.

It will be Mays deal.

One thing that is for sure though. The deal will exempt the UK from any future EU legislation regarding the use of tax havens because that is, was and always will be what Brexit was about. Brexiteers think its about immigration but thats not going to change with Johnsons deal. It cant. Access to the single market and freedom of movement are conjoined in the eyes of the EU.

I'm stocking up on the popcorn. This should be a laugh a minute.   

You still don't know the difference between the WA/PD and any final trade deal. 

42 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Like we ( the men in the street in Europe ) will blame the U.K. ( Remainers and Leavers) if Brexit would change anything in our daily life.

If negative of course.

If positive, we won't say a word.???? 

As Belgium is totally in control of its laws, affairs and pensions, even as a member of the EU, how could the UK leaving the EU possible worry you?  

11 minutes ago, nauseus said:

As Belgium is totally in control of its laws, affairs and pensions, even as a member of the EU, how could the UK leaving the EU possible worry you?  

It doesn't so far.

But after reading the comments of some doom thinkers about what the future of the E.U. will be next year, I start to consider that it may be a possibility that there will be a negative impact on our daily life.

As already stated my approach of things is a rather pessimist/negative one.

If indeed the outcome prove to be negative, I am not surprised/ not unprepared.

If there is no negative outcome, I am a happy man.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

It doesn't so far.

But after reading the comments of some doom thinkers about what the future of the E.U. will be next year, I start to consider that it may be a possibility that there will be a negative impact on our daily life.

As already stated my approach of things is a rather pessimist/negative one.

If indeed the outcome prove to be negative, I am not surprised/ not unprepared.

If there is no negative outcome, I am a happy man.

There will be negative effects for Belgium.  For example, Belgium exports a lot of potatoes to UK.  Additonal paperwork, even without will cost.  Unless the producers can increase the cost they charge to their UK cutsomers,then profits will fall.  If there are any delays at the Channel - which there will bem it is just a question of how long - then that is additional cost.

Of course, such costs in the other direction, since they make up a far greater proportion of the Country's GDP will be much,  much higher.

PH

1 hour ago, vogie said:

I would really like this to go to court, can you just imagine Boris in the dock and the judge saying to him.

Judge. Mr Johnson you stand before me today charged with carrying out the wishes of the British electorate, how do you plead?

Boris. Guilty as charged ma lud.

Judge. Do you expect me to believe that any politician would do what the British people voted for.

Boris. Yes m'lud

Judge. And did you have any accomplices in this 'following the wishes of the British people.'

Boris. Yes m'lud, my mate Dom and the rest of the democratic side in parliament.

Judge. Dispicable, you wantonly enacted a democratic referendum for the British people when you almost certainly knew that the remainers would not like it. I have no option but to find you guilty, never in my time as a judge have I seen such a blatant display of democracy, 30 years, send him down.

Come on, Vogie. Satire has to have an element of realism about it. Surely the first exchange would go something like:

Judge: PM, How do you plead?

Johnson: Err .. yes, Your Honour .... I will enter a 'world beating' plea... err.... As Homer said 'Light is the task where many share the toll' .. errr ... indeed ...err ... Carpe Diem .... err ... ooh err missus ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

So what is going to happen is in the next couple of months Johnson is going to announce his great deal. A fantastic deal that gives us everything we want.

It will be Mays deal.

May's deal? Theresa May was negotiating the Withdrawal Agreement, not the FTA. Keep up ????

• Like 1

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1345450/Brexit-news-Michel-Barnier-UK-EU-trade-deal-fishing-concession-latest-update

Brexit breakthrough: Barnier to concede fishing demands – UK and EU on verge of trade deal

MICHEL BARNIER will today tell Lord Frost he is prepared to drop the EU's hardline fisheries despite facing an internal rebellion over the planned concession.

9 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1345450/Brexit-news-Michel-Barnier-UK-EU-trade-deal-fishing-concession-latest-update

Brexit breakthrough: Barnier to concede fishing demands – UK and EU on verge of trade deal

MICHEL BARNIER will today tell Lord Frost he is prepared to drop the EU's hardline fisheries despite facing an internal rebellion over the planned concession.

Do you ever read the text that accompanies these ludicrous headlines???

• Like 2

(Would he be for once in his life  a man from his word ?…..Nah..., that is not " Boris-like "....  :unsure:  )

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/09/eu-does-not-believe-uk-will-walk-out-on-brexit-talks-diplomat-says

Daniel Boffey in Brussels
Fri 9 Oct 2020 13.13 BST

EU does not believe UK will walk out on Brexit talks, diplomat says

Boris Johnson has publicly suggested a Brussels summit next week is his deadline for a deal

Brussels does not believe Boris Johnson will walk out on the Brexit talks next week despite repeated threats from London, with negotiations set to continue deep into the month.

The prime minister has publicly suggested that an EU summit next Thursday is his deadline for a deal. He said in September that without agreement it would be time to “accept and move on”.

The UK’s chief negotiator, David Frost, reiterated the comments during a parliamentary hearing this week, but a senior EU diplomat said this was not Brussels’ understanding following private discussions.“I don’t detect any readiness on the British side to suspend the negotiations,” the source said. “This is going to continue. It is not a deadline.”

more...

Edited by david555
  • Like 2