EU, UK to step up Brexit talks to try to close 'significant gaps' over trade deal

rooster59

2 minutes ago, petermik said:

Another one with  crystal ball in front of him/her....."Or is any cost worth paying to leave EU" err actually YES .......we voted out we want out :thumbsup:

You do not understand the word "potentially" then?

But at least you kow that any cost is worth paying.  I wonder how many of your fellow Brexiteers think the same.  Certainly one leader of the Brexit Campaign - who within days of the vote set up financial instruments in the EU rather than London - does not share that view when it comes to his business and personal financial wellbeing.  

PH

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

According to the results, she could have easily lost.

There would than have being the need to present another candidate.

Who again could win or lose, and so on, till a majority is obtained.

Once again the majority she obtained is a poor one, but enough according to the democratic rules.

A bit like the UK referendum then? But we had two choices. Thanks.

18 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

You do not understand the word "potentially" then?

But at least you kow that any cost is worth paying.  I wonder how many of your fellow Brexiteers think the same.  Certainly one leader of the Brexit Campaign - who within days of the vote set up financial instruments in the EU rather than London - does not share that view when it comes to his business and personal financial wellbeing.  

PH

Who was that? What instruments? 

25 minutes ago, Loiner said:

We were all subjected to a massive propaganda assault prior to the referendum. It came with a £9 million leaflet from David Cameron forecasting promising and threatening Armageddon if we voted to Leave. The government, BBC & news MSM, EU themselves, the quangos, pseudo and wannabe economists, academia, big business interests, public sector lefties, assorted B-list celebrities, and anybody else with a vested interest in their own personal European links, they all 'told' us. They all embraced the Remain mantra and proclaimed what they imagined the host of possible consequences possible downsides and possible possibilities that a Leave vote conceivably might could or maybe bring.

Remainers simply bought into it and kept regurgitating it, on and on and on... even to the present day. Leavers considered it carefully and compared it to their knowledge and experience of the EU over the past 40 years, but contrary to the attempted mass brainwashing still deciding it was and still is a cost worth paying to Leave the EU.

We will find out in January which side was telling the truth and which side was not.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, vogie said:

9 hours ago, vogie said:

That is simply not correct, I'm sure Boris would like to do a deal, but not at any price. Mr Macron is refusing to budge, he still wants the same fishing rights as he had before and he cannot change his mind (much to the consternation of other nations in the EU) as that would seem to the French as capitulating to their old enemy. 

Surely anyone can see that it is Macron that is forcing a 'no deal' and not the UK.

Whether Mrs Merkel will tell him to wind his neck in, is anyones guess.

I will take the liberty of using your text, but changing some words in certain places (shown in CAPS). I'd suggest that this is closer to the truth.

---------------

Mr JOHNSON is refusing to budge, he still wants the same ACCESS TO THE SINGLE MARKET as he had before and he cannot change his mind (much to the consternation of MODERATES IN THE TORY PARTY) as that would seem to the ERG as capitulating to their old enemy (THE EU). 

Surely anyone can see that it is JOHNSON that is forcing a 'no deal' and not the EU?

Whether THE 1922 COMMITTEE will tell him to wind his neck in, is anyones guess.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

We will find out in January which side was telling the truth and which side was not.

We found out over 4 years ago in June 2016 that most of George Osborne's predictions after a Leave vote were wrong. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phulublub said:

Nowhere in my post you refer to do I say we should replace the vtes so I won.  I am asking the Leavers what is was they voted for to try and help my understnding of their thought processes and what the hoped to get (other than "out" which is as meaningless as "Brexit means Brexit").    It would aid my understanding also if Leavers would be willing to openly share what downsides they thought possoble and acceptable, and whether, four years on, they think they will get some, all or none (part from leaving) of what they wanted.

If you (or anyone) did not consider the economic consequences, potentially with higher unemployment, higer prices, more difficult travel and a host of other possible downsides, then do you now?  Would you ever?  Or is any cost worth paying to leave the EU?

PH

It really doesn't matter if you understand it or not, A referendum was taken and the majority of those who voted, voted to leave by more than a million votes. The people who did not vote (some 13+milion) made their vote null and void.

The referendum itself was badly written by David Cameron and his advisors and instead of a simple majority there should have been a minimum pass level of perhaps 60% or whatever figure seems apt.

IMHO DC was overconfident, lazy and slapdash over the referendum and again, IMHO he did the right thing by resigning, but for the wrong reasons.

However a majority of the Brits accepted the results and got on with their lives. Many however didn't, and there are a few of them on this forum.

DC resigned and Theresa May became PM and spent the next several years undermining the result though she promised to honour it. Along came 2019 and another General Election which Boris won as he promised that the UK WOULD leave the EU with or without a deal, which so far he has honoured that.

What the UK wanted was a level playing field and honest discussion and fair agreements with the EU. Not much sign of that from the EU so far. Perhaps they believed that Boris came from the same mould as DC and TM and could be walked over and ignored.

That hasn't happened and now both sides are getting towards the headless chicken mode.

My best guess is that it will go down to the last few days and some sort of fudge will hopefully be cobbled together, with perhaps a months extension and that will be it.

The Remainers can try for another referendum, but not until this one is completed and I expect that will be kicked down the road for a few years before something happens.

IF it happens then I truly hope that the referendum rules will be tightened and at least a 60% pass/fail clause is written in.

• Like 2

It seems normal to be asked by brexiteers at remainers to accept the fact U.K. left the E.U.....! Which indeed it is ....

But strange enough in opposite it seems normal brexiteers still think kicking the can further on the road for 4 years + go result in giving in by the EU. on their dear brexit wishes ....the so called "go flat belly last moment as E.U. alway's do (??...) " ???? now by reading some mentioned  extension by 1 month if needed...do brexiteers finally became so desperate ...? ????...must be .

No...! wont happen as already all the lost 4 years times E.U. was consistent in that ...i think brexiteers go realize that at last  1 minute after midnight 31 December coming ..

Better late than never ????

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

What the UK wanted was a level playing field and honest discussion and fair agreements with the EU. Not much sign of that from the EU so far.

What is this 'level playing field'? How exactly has the EU been dishonest in its discussions? What are the criteria for deciding whether an agreement is fair?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, RayC said:

What is this 'level playing field'? How exactly has the EU been dishonest in its discussions? What are the criteria for deciding whether an agreement is fair?

Don't ask me, but talk to the UK and the EU negotiators as they are the people who are dealing with it.

I am sorry if you believe that I have a secret contact at the negotiating table but I get my information from the MSM.

Who decides the criteria whether an agreement is fair? I have no idea and obvously you don't either. Both sides have their own teams and if one side doesn't agree what is fair they either thrash it out until they do agree, or they pack up and go home for further consultations.

Like you, me and millions of other people we will bw the last persons to know what is going on and we will have to accept it or moan about it (but still accept it).

Nobody on TVF knows what is happening and we have no input or control over the players, so IMO the best thing is to ignore it. It won't go away but if you ignore it your stress levels will be lower.

• Thanks 1