Poll: Majority of Thais say "NO!" to foreign tourists - they fear more Covid

webfact

13 minutes ago, itsari said:

Long as the Thai economy can survive I have to agree with you . But there are many doubts that they can .

No need to doubt. This will eventually make the baht fall, which will create new opportunities to be competitive on the production and export market instead. A Thai baht will always be a Thai baht to the domestic market.

All the hotels can be turned into condos or rooms for rent. Many unemployed will also find their own way as history clearly tells with all from selling food on the streets to making the traditional Thai products made and used once again.

1 minute ago, Kadilo said:

Many sadly won’t

Another me number one post. 

You’re having a good day ????

Why are you so focused on me? I´ve not even mentioned anything about me in my posts.

Read my other later posts and you can see some suggestions on how they will manage.

By the way, I am always having a good day. How about you?

8 hours ago, alyx said:

But, really, there will eventually be a domino effect unless an alternative is found. When 25% of a country is directly affected by a loss, then the rest is bound to feel the bite at some points. I might add that this is not a voice less mob such as the poor and the new poor who have seen their businesses closed down and I guess they were not all tourism related.

Naturally.

The tourist industry is itself a very large "consumer".

Anyone involved in supplying and servicing the tourist industry will be affected.

Those from whom it consumes will be feeling the effects.

Some will be desperately enduring equally hard times, some will be failing.

They themselves will have to reduce their consumption.

And so on......

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave0206 said:

which countries are you speaking of that make it easy for thai's? to even visit let alone work ?.

For months now, thousands of Thais have been repatriated from countries, from all over the world, where they were working.

And they keep on arriving...

Edited by Brunolem
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

Why should the 85% of people in Thailand who have nothing at all to do with tourism want to take a risk with their jobs and their health? Certain people may be unhappy about it, but it's called the will of the majority, and it's a fundamental principle of democracy. 

If Thais were that concerned about risk to health and their jobs they wouldn't travel on Thai roads and demand that something be done about it,but they don't because they are not that concerned about death they are far more concerned about face.

2 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I am focussed on anyone who Is selfish and dismissive of the plight that faces many of the poorest Thai people and the attitude that “they will be ok” when clearly many already are not, and what they really mean is “I’m doing ok”. 

Yes all good for me, sadly won’t be for many Thais but I’m happy you’re having a good day. 

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Mr Righteous.

Why would this cause problem for the poor people. The poor people with no good life was not a part of the tourism sector. The once that working in that field was making good money and are still not poor after almost 1 year compared to many farming families in the NE of Thailand. That has nothing to do with tourism or no tourism, though.

7 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

No need to doubt. This will eventually make the baht fall, which will create new opportunities to be competitive on the production and export market instead. A Thai baht will always be a Thai baht to the domestic market.

All the hotels can be turned into condos or rooms for rent. Many unemployed will also find their own way as history clearly tells with all from selling food on the streets to making the traditional Thai products made and used once again.

Macro economics is not your forte is it?

QUOTE: This will eventually make the baht fall,

If farang economies are hit harder than the Thai economy, the baht will RISE

QUOTE: A Thai baht will always be a Thai baht to the domestic market.

There is a thing called INFLATION....... so no, a Thai baht will not necessarily always be a Thai baht

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

I am not that optimistic. There are enough empty condos already. And the Baht is pretty stable. I saw a report about other tourist destinations in the world just before. They all have the same problem. Thailand is not alone and the people in the tourism industry need to be patient. I ask myself if the tourism industry would for instance care if the car industry in Thailand had problems? I don't think so... 

Edited by Oldie
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Okay....let's take the situation in the UK.....estimates suggest (with extensive testing) even now only 6% of the population have gained immunity. Now project that outcome onto Thailand's population with a much more rigorous lockdown and extensive controls in terms of washing hands, use of face masks, social distancing..........so you are right...I don't KNOW that Thailand has no immunity......so let's say I would be surprised, given the comments above, that Thailand has extensive immunity.......and may, as a consequence, run the risks of the pandemic re-establishing itself.

Is the immunity so important, with so few folk actually dying from the C19 Flu?  (Yes many dying with but not from)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jvs said:

As always polls do not mean a lot,it all depends on how you ask the questions and whom you ask.

I can understand both sides but they do have to realize the longer they wait the worse it will get.

Some kind of second wave is unavoidable.

I see people all around not wearing mask any more,they are the smart ones.

The anger of the people around the world against stupid rules is in creasing.

Over here,wear a mask but forget your helmet,how stupid can you get?

Tough choices need to be made and either way it is going to be challenged by the opposition.

What makes sense over here does not make any sense else where.

In a few years we will know the truth.

second wave or whatever you want to call it is avoidable just wait for a vaccine and every one get the shot and wait 1 week then test before boarding a flight then there is no need for a Chinese run hotel to ripe us off! most like 17 out of 20 quarantine hotels are Chinese owed that's why the prices are so high as they control it all , lol not getting a single Fricken baht from me you Wuhan Turkeys

36 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Many sadly won’t

But..he is correct-they will survive due to their extensive networking and their family connections-the Thai are near geniuses in this regard.

It might be a "near run thing" (as the Iron Duke said) but considering the ineluctable fact that the Australian Gov't has to pay off its total losers (white,black and brindle)  extravagant sums of money due to the Covid to stop them from robbing the rest of the population in the quest for drugs/alcohol, than I think that Thailand is doing very well.

As ever,my sympathies are extended to all those who have taken a hit due to the plague.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Confused 3

9 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

For months now, thousands of Thais have been rapatriated from countries, from all over the world, where they were working.

And they keep on arriving...

I believe there are 7,000 still in the U.K. waiting to come home and we’re over 6 months into the pandemic the U.K. brought all those citizens who wanted to return home and there was well over 300,000 in 6 weeks what’s the Thai government doing absolutely nothing and it’s most probably due to the fact there is no or very little employment in Thailand it’s not just the tourist industry that is hurting car sales are down car manufacturers are closing and relocating rice sales are down due to the strong baht the list is ever ending Thailand is on the very top of the cliff edge 

31 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Many sadly won’t

Generally people at a very advanced age start not to care about things, doesn't concern them anymore once they are dead. All they want is peace and quiet in the "virus free" Kingdom.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Oldie said:

I saw a report about other tourist destinations in the world just before. They all have the same problem. Thailand is not alone and the people in the tourism industry need to be patient.

True, just look at Macau or Las Vegas...

Having said that, no country can cut 10% or more of its GDP and survive (economically).

In our hyper indebted societies, each dollar or baht count, and only growth can help manage the burden.

A 1% recession (shrinking GDP) is a disaster, because the debt needs to be served, and if it's not there are consequences for everyone, and not only the part of the population directly impacted.

The thousands of people working in hotels, for example, carry debt, and the hotel itself probably also.

With no income, these debts can't be served...the monthly payments for a condo or a car won't be made, leading the banks into trouble, as well as the car dealers who, in turn, will not be able to fulfill their obligations.

It takes some time, but in the end the whole country spirals into economic depression...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DaveCW said:

Is the immunity so important, with so few folk actually dying from the C19 Flu?  (Yes many dying with but not from)

So basically there are 5 points of view:

1/ masks, social distancing etc are the solution

2/ herd immunity is the solution

3/ vaccination is the solution

4/ your view: Problem? What problem?

5/ reptilians, 5G, the Chinese, are the problem

I may go for a combination of 1 - 2 - 3, without holding my breath, but 4 and 5 ? Sorry, no.

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

The Thai population seems to have made up their mind. They do not want their country invaded by 40 million tourists per year. Guess that´s gonna be hard to accept for this little online community

So where are you getting your facts that The Thai population have made their mind up lol from this poll off just over 1000 people.

My god you are such dreamer.   

If they didnt want the toursits then im sure they could have found many ways years ago to stop them but when people pockets are getting lined and tourists are being fleeced in Thailand everyone is happy.

• Like 1

A small  unnamed  Asain  Pacific  country  that need  tourism to  survive   recently  (last  5-6 weeks)  

Let   tourist  back   had  the 14  day thing and  testing  

But  now is in lockdown again  as the Virus is back 200  new cases  2-4  weeks   after the  14 days  was up

Most of the  Tourist  were  Chinese  mostly  Asain  countries the mix of the rest

Good  Luck  Thailand

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TERMINATOR3AB said:

A small  unnamed  Asain  Pacific  country  that need  tourism to  survive   recently  (last  5-6 weeks)  

Let   tourist  back   had  the 14  day thing and  testing  

But  now is in lockdown again  as the Virus is back 200  new cases  2-4  weeks   after the  14 days  was up

Most of the  Tourist  were  Chinese  mostly  Asain  countries the mix of the rest

Good  Luck  Thailand

On the other hand: Thanks to strict measures, including testing before inbound flights, Madeira is just about covid free - yes it is an island, but what a difference with other European islands.

Testing before the flight WORKS.

Been there 3 months now...... and not looking forward to my return to Europe.

Edited by oldhippy

10 minutes ago, stretch5163 said:

So where are you getting your facts that The Thai population have made their mind up lol from this poll off just over 1000 people.

My god you are such dreamer.   

If they didnt want the toursits then im sure they could have found many ways years ago to stop them but when people pockets are getting lined and tourists are being fleeced in Thailand everyone is happy.

Let´s all hope they have changed their mind, when they now can feel how calm and beautiful it is without.

1 minute ago, Matzzon said:

If they keep the borders closed and refrain from overgrown tourism there will be no others that are hit harder.

Inflation is controlled by higher salaries compared to higher prices and cost for living. Therefore a Thai baht will always be a Thai baht on the domestic level.

Sorry, but you only confirm that macro economics is not really your thing.

QUOTE: If they keep the borders closed and refrain from overgrown tourism there will be no others that are hit harder.

Euuuh what?

QUOTE: Inflation is controlled by higher salaries compared to higher prices and cost for living. Therefore a Thai baht will always be a Thai baht on the domestic level.

Euuuuh what #2?

16 minutes ago, lkv said:

Generally people at a very advanced age start not to care about things, doesn't concern them anymore once they are dead. All they want is peace and quiet in the "virus free" Kingdom.

Yes that what I said,....selfish.