Poll: Majority of Thais say "NO!" to foreign tourists - they fear more Covid

webfact

As an other poster with knowledge of statistics pointed out: the sample is big enough.... on 1 condition however. This only works with a more or less homogeneous population. Which Thailand does not have.

Result: a huge error margin, either intended or from stupidity.

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

I think you will find that had it been the poorest 1,318 people the result would have been the same.

In this particular matter there is remarkable equality amongst the Thais.

I think that it is perfectly obvious-except to the totally deluded-that the Thai nationalists have wished us gone since 2014...

They may welcome you as a tourist ..3-4 weeks (but not right now) but,I believe,that the Thai upper and middle classes would not shed a tear if every Caucasian was gone..

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

So basically there are 5 points of view:

1/ masks, social distancing etc are the solution

2/ herd immunity is the solution

3/ vaccination is the solution

4/ your view: Problem? What problem?

5/ reptilians, 5G, the Chinese, are the problem

I may go for a combination of 1- 2 - 3, without holding my breath, but 4 and 5 ? Sorry, no.

I did start to write a reply - but then thought, why bother - I guess some folk should just stay in their own perceived safe bubble until all this is over - I think that would be best for them. 

So guess we will never ever have a the possibility of meeting to look back and laugh at all this madness. I wish you well for the future, take care - say safe  

• Like 1

I was thinking of the gratitude the french give aussies stemming from WW2. Then i thought about the thais and the Japanese rule the Thai burma railway and the total disrespect the thais give falangs.. unless your chinese..

They have this view they've done it all themselves. They have ministers in Paraliment who have done 4 years prison time for the attempted importation of heroin into Australia.

And yet still think we are the problem.

Well I suppose is their right and their country to decide. As they had proposed of using the island as a starting point---kinda like leper island..If thais are afraid tell them not to be on those islands...give farangs work visas to run the hotels and mix among the filthy.....creating income for both sides...as its Money No.1!

If thais dont care about covid they can come work on the islands and give the filthy grandpas soapies-fresh!

17 hours ago, alyx said:

But, really, there will eventually be a domino effect unless an alternative is found. When 25% of a country is directly affected by a loss, then the rest is bound to feel the bite at some points. I might add that this is not a voice less mob such as the poor and the new poor who have seen their businesses closed down and I guess they were not all tourism related.

Absolutely correct, and the stimulus money helps prop up a failing industry temporarily; once that runs dry... more business fail, unemployment and all the hardships that comes with it. The current model just isn’t sustainable.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourists from China were supposed to arrive today but this has been put back to at least near the end of the month after the head of the National Security Council Natthaphol Nakphanich said the upcoming Vegetarian Festival being held in Phuket would attract lots of Thais and he didn't want them to be put off visiting the province.

So the real reason the 8th was cancelled is the government are afraid that the normal Thai people don't want the Chinese either ..............LOL

14 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

There is one thing that everyone is forgetting.  The main countries that we would be open to are having MAJOR DIFFICULTIES WITH COVID.

Can you honestly say that you would welcome people from the U.S. Canada and U.K. Almost every opther country is having trouble and the pandemic is rising again.  Personally I feel for the people that are involved in teh tourism business but, I really do not want to go back to phase 1 and start all over again.  Also I am pretty sure that the number of tourists that would be coming are not going to cause Pattaya, NANA and cowboy  to become their  old selves.

Is the virus more contagious or more deadly in those countries last I checked the virus is same all over the world.  So in theory it is not relevant where a person comes from.  5 people coming from a country that has low infection numbers and low death rates can infect the same amount of people with the same virus that 5 people from a country that has high numbers… low numbers mean just that low numbers but no country is covid free… the requirement to 14 day quarantine may seem excessive but it along with 2 negative tests before being released is as about as safe as you can play it… basically they are asking folk to do no less than what a Thai citizen is required to do when they return home form high number covid countries…

19 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

"The Nida poll had a sample size of 1,318 respondents"

Out of a population of nearly 70 million! Come on, make an effort! 

It doesn't take long on any poll related thread before this old nugget comes out 

Take a basic statistics course and you will maybe be able to understand that this is a valid sample size.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, johng said:

They have done such a good "brainwashing"  job painting foreigners as "dirty unwashed virus spreaders"

that it will be very difficult for the country to open to tourist again anytime soon !

Apart from the totally, 'considerate', hygienic, non-spitting, non-canal dumpsters and non-greedy prawn grabbers From China, of course.

4 hours ago, Shammy said:

I was thinking of the gratitude the french give aussies stemming from WW2. Then i thought about the thais and the Japanese rule the Thai burma railway and the total disrespect the thais give falangs.. unless your chinese..

They have this view they've done it all themselves. They have ministers in Paraliment who have done 4 years prison time for the attempted importation of heroin into Australia.

And yet still think we are the problem.

If you are a falung with Thai family and visit Kanchanaburi, the Thais don't know what WW2 was, they don't know what the cemetery is, they don't know what we Anzacs and British did, if you try to explain what happened your wasting your time, history of this not taught. 

If you try to explain today's situation most don't care and a huge amount of people are zipped at the mouth in fear of speaking.. 

To me the people just want sell their goods at the market they are angry someone is missing, never have I seen this in land of no smile no longer. 

11 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

Do you know the exact wording or the questions in these polls? Surely not, as nobody was informed about these biased polls in detail, I guess, besides the fact that many of these Thai polls are no real polls at all. Rather than that, they are simply propaganda written down without having asked anyone at all.

There are a lot of Thais who are afraid about Covid mainly because they fear another lock-down, but not so much the disease itself. They fear the economic impact of the paranoid reactions of the despised government, and would simply like to continue with their normal life. Or in other words, they would like to send Prayut to hell firstly, and then welcome the tourists back to the country.

Someone who lives in Thailand really should be experienced enough to understand Thai polls correctly.

I understand Thailand well enough, they don't want covid or an other lockdown. Its the farangs outside Thailand wanting to get back clutching to straws. 

Id like you to proof that the polls are not held at all. Because that is a pretty big accusation. Sounds like total B.S.

They don't want the tourists because they don't want covid or a lockdown its that simple. Too many polls all pointing to the same thing.

10 hours ago, oldhippy said:

As an other poster with knowledge of statistics pointed out: the sample is big enough.... on 1 condition however. This only works with a more or less homogeneous population. Which Thailand does not have.

Result: a huge error margin, either intended or from stupidity.

Bit hard to prove that they messed up, as you said sample size is big enough and many polls have been done all the same answer. The thing is the deluded farangs who either rely on tourism or who want to get back in hate to acknowledge this. 

The Thais don't want covid or an other lockdown its perfectly clear.

2 hours ago, Kleepanna said:

Is the virus more contagious or more deadly in those countries last I checked the virus is same all over the world.  So in theory it is not relevant where a person comes from.  5 people coming from a country that has low infection numbers and low death rates can infect the same amount of people with the same virus that 5 people from a country that has high numbers… low numbers mean just that low numbers but no country is covid free… the requirement to 14 day quarantine may seem excessive but it along with 2 negative tests before being released is as about as safe as you can play it… basically they are asking folk to do no less than what a Thai citizen is required to do when they return home form high number covid countries…

You absolutely wrong as chance of having people who have covid is higher if the country has a higher rate of infection. 

So without quarantine those from US or UK or EU are dangerous. With quarantine its safe.  Does not matter where they come from

All the Thai's I know and I know a few want the tourist back people are hurting not just here in Phuket,just been on a jolly for a couple of days drove to Trang then along the coast stopped at a resort on the beach it was dead go over to Kho Mook the same dead we got talking to some locals they were asking me when the farang coming back, there're not coming back for a long time your government is making it difficult for farang to come back, You have to change it.

Typical Thai the resort right on the beach the price 4000 Baht per night for nothing more than a bamboo shack, we didn't stay there we drove back into Trang got a decent hotel for 700 Baht a night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mark131v said:

Yep seem to remember your backflip after your vociferous defence of the junta and clear disdain for democracy and the will of the people...

Are they the same polls that show 97% of the population is in favour of the junta or any other number plucked out of thin air for any number of things 'your' junta want's to enforce?

Nonsense there is a ripple effect that affects many aspects of the economy and wealth of the population at large, you cannot simply write off a large percentage of GDP without consequence

Anyway Robb I reckon 'your' junta have achieved their aim of spreading fear of the world at large and hoodwinking the populace, they do that don't they they had you fooled for age's!!

I think your just one of those covid fools or maybe a farang wanting to get back. Nothing wrong about that but just admit it.

Fact is these polls have been made and done good, there is no way to prove otherwise. But then again people like you only want democracy when it is in their favor. The moment the people don't say what you want to hear its fake.

Of course there is a ripple effect but its the same in all countries. People are happy that they have been spared from the virus and that lockdowns are gone. They don't want to import covid and go back to the way it was with FAR MORE effect on the economy.

The junta did a good job, just covid deniers and people depending on tourism and those stranded out desperate to get in seem to think otherwise. Not sure in what group you belong yet. 

Do we have to jeopardize Thailand in easily allowing foreigners coming from reputed dizzy countries ? 

NO NO NO !

Strict policies and limited numbers rules to keep the situation under control !

Pattaya , Samui and so on are not the priority at all ... it is just common sense !

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, oldhippy said:

you could be right, but you spoil your point by using the expression "working girls"

It is a very respectful term. Alot of the more judgmental guys prefer hooker, prostitute, whore, sl++, and other words to describe what they are doing. Those of us who do not judge their choices in life, tend to use more gentle words.