Poll: Majority of Thais say "NO!" to foreign tourists - they fear more Covid

webfact

22 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Thailand is playing a very dangerous game and is in the process of irreversibly destroy its tourism industry.

First, there is a developing xenophobia within the population, which is not really needed.

Fear of the stranger, for whatever reason, is never good.

What if foreigners started developing similar feelings regarding Thais, and didn't let them into their countries, especially for work?

Then there is the image Thailand is projecting.

What are these Chinese who had jumped through all the hoops before their trip was cancelled at the last minute going to think, and tell their friends, including all those on their social websites?

Something like "don't bother and go spend your money elsewhere"...

It's not only in Thailand as this predicament is a worldwide dilemma facing countries.Do we open up?Who do we open up to and to whom?Australia for example is fighting with itself over this very question(and amongst itself)at all levels of government.I think the straw that breaks the camels back will be in another 3/6 months if we all are in the same place and no vaccine is out there.How long can you close your borders for and lock people down or impse restrictions for if there is no end or hope..or meaningful employment also?

• Like 1

It would be interesting if they did a poll and just asked foreigners the questions and see what results they get.

I sometimes think that the tourism industry would be more than happy for tourists to arrive, leave their spending money at the airport which would be distributed accordingly and then flew home on the next available aircraft, it would be a bumper easy year for the sector and then when TAT added 5% for next year's arrivals and no one turned up how that would be viewed. They, the powers that be seem to me to be doing their very best to kill the golden goose of tourism in Thailand. Travellers have a world to choose from with plenty of places with easier access and less draconian laws no monk days to deprive one of a beverage on arrival.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Can you remind us and provide a link to all these polls?

Why would I been in the news multiple times on this forum. Go back in the history and you can find it. This discussion has been done to death. Each topic its the same its like dejavu. Really just go through history a bit and you will find multiple of these polls about opening up Thailand in the recent history of the forum. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

Why would I been in the news multiple times on this forum. Go back in the history and you can find it. This discussion has been done to death. Each topic its the same its like dejavu. Really just go through history a bit and you will find multiple of these polls about opening up Thailand in the recent history of the forum. 

Why would you? Because you’re the one constantly quoting about all these “many polls”

So to use your term, BS then. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 2

On 10/8/2020 at 10:19 AM, CelticBhoy said:

"The Nida poll had a sample size of 1,318 respondents"

Out of a population of nearly 70 million! Come on, make an effort! 

"There are lies, damn lies and statistics".  If that poll was truly reflective of the Thailand demographics (roughly 50/50 urban/rural), I'd bet that the 30-odd million rural folks couldn't care less as the tourism industry is a world away for them.  They would also have no idea how the lack of tourists and their spending actually affects their day to day lives by way of government spending.   

On 10/8/2020 at 10:29 AM, Sharp said:

Go ask the Essan farming families who now have extra mouths to feed from returnees formerly employed in Tourists hotpots with no additional income I've seen it for myself what they would say!! 

Very true.  In my wife's village I've seen a prime example.  Pre covid a farang and his Thai gf went to UK for a family visit, planning to stay for a couple of months.  The world is then turned upside down.  She comes back to Thailand, and as there is no work for her in the "hospitality" sector, she sells the condo in Pattaya as stupid as it may seem, it was in her name.  I don't know if the boyfriend knows what's gone on, but either way he's stuffed - he can't get here and if eventually he does, she's done nothing illegal Q.E.D.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Why would you? Because you’re the one constantly quoting about all these “many polls”

So to use your term, BS then. 

No B.S. at all there have been at least 3 of these polls already. I am just not in the mood to dig it all up. If you had followed this you would have seen many polls all the time when they are talking about opening the country up again.

14 jun in BKK post

The one now and Ill look for others. Bit busy now. But there have been multiple. Every time they talk about reopening Thais protests.

September 20th resistance from locals against opening up Phuket

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/new-grand-plan-to-bring-tourists-back-to-thailand-in-fallout-of-covid-19/

See last paragraph.

All reopening plans have met with resistance.

Edited by robblok

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

What if it does? The vast, vast majority of those affected will recover in about 3 or 4 weeks.

The problem is that here EVERYONE is hospitalised that becomes infected. Of it does take a foothold, people will have to isolate at home as hospitale beds are very limited. And we have seen around the world how well that works. 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, robblok said:

No B.S. at all there have been at least 3 of these polls already. I am just not in the mood to dig it all up. If you had followed this you would have seen many polls all the time when they are talking about opening the country up again.

14 jun in BKK post

The one now and Ill look for others. Bit busy now. But there have been multiple. Every time they talk about reopening Thais protests.

September 20th resistance from locals against opening up Phuket

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/new-grand-plan-to-bring-tourists-back-to-thailand-in-fallout-of-covid-19/

See last paragraph.

All reopening plans have met with resistance.

I have followed it but I dont recall the publication of “multiple”polls where Thais have protested so I look forward to seeing your links to these. 

The link you have added is just a few words in a newspaper article so obviously not one of the many polls you were referring to. 

cheers

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

Fair enough. Don't allow tourists.

But please allow retirees with own homes and cars sitting locked up and rotting in Thailand, those of us who happened to return to our home countries to visit family and now cannot re-enter, despite having all the extensions of stay.

There HAS to be a difference between long stayers and tourists.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, robblok said:

I think your just one of those covid fools or maybe a farang wanting to get back. Nothing wrong about that but just admit it.

Nope, I believe covid is the biggest thing to happen in a very long time and I have zero interest in getting back to Thailand

Fact is these polls have been made and done good, there is no way to prove otherwise. But then again people like you only want democracy when it is in their favor. The moment the people don't say what you want to hear its fake.

Nope, the behaviour of 'your' junta and the unbelievable numbers they have spouted through their numerous polls clearly show this, their manipulation of the press, judiciary and every aspect of peoples lives' clearly show this, nope I believe democracy is not a colour, it either is or it isn't, not hard really...

Of course there is a ripple effect but its the same in all countries. People are happy that they have been spared from the virus and that lockdowns are gone. They don't want to import covid and go back to the way it was with FAR MORE effect on the economy.

Nope 'your' junta do not want western tourism hence their campaign to scare the serfs and create xenophobia and their archaic sufficiency society, covid is an absolute gift for them they continue to get rich whilst sowing fear, their only fear of covid is their loss of face if it gets bad

The junta did a good job, just covid deniers and people depending on tourism and those stranded out desperate to get in seem to think otherwise.

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Not sure in what group you belong yet

Nope, 'your' junta have done jack <deleted>, they have used covid to assist their own aim of taking Thailand back in time and gaining total control of the peasants. They have absolutely no care for their people, they care nothing for people out of work or affected by this, they love it!!

I belong to the group that does not condone dictatorship, I call out hypocrites and despise bullies, how about you... 

• Like 2

On 10/8/2020 at 10:10 AM, Thaiwrath said:

I think it is obvious,  most of those polled have no connection on the tourist industry, are fully employed, and could not give a flying <deleted> about anyone else.

Yes, good sign that the majority of Thais are now fully employed. Bad for the tourist industry that Western countries cannot get their pest under control at the moment. 

And good Thailand has a strong informal sector so people can survive in their villages somehow. Guess Western countries will need this too pretty soon. 

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1