Poll: Majority of Thais say "NO!" to foreign tourists - they fear more Covid

webfact

6 hours ago, johng said:

They have done such a good "brainwashing"  job painting foreigners as "dirty unwashed virus spreaders"

that it will be very difficult for the country to open to tourist again anytime soon !

As have the foreign governments persuaded their peoples they are a danger to each other targeting people by age especially the young, pub drinkers etc. As for 'Dirty unwashed virus speaders' thats just neurosis and silliness oft repeated by foreign loosers who seek to blame others for their bleak lives.

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Fascinating, if true. It seems that foreigners now feel the same way about Thailand. Few want to come, with the punitive restrictions. 

So much fear and misunderstanding. First of all this appears to be a fairly low grade virus. What percent of fatalities here were under 65-70 years old? What percent did not have underlying conditions? They make it sound like a second wave would knock out the population. Millions of tourists were here in Nov. Dec. Jan. and Feb. Many were likely infected. Yet? 58 deaths. Less than two days on the highways here. Do they shut down the highways? 

Adults 65 and older account for 16% of the US population but 80% of COVID-19 deaths in the US, somewhat higher than their share of deaths from all causes (75%) over the same period.

...i agree 100%...mask up, glove up, gel up, 1m distancing and get on with it..only 60-70% of the Worlds population will ever be vaccinated, there will be no herd community, and until all of us are vaccinated we still have to mask etc...I cant see the Thai Govt initiating full blood tests for all.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, lensta said:

1,318 people represent the views of 70,000,000 people. TV, why do you even print this propaganda. Shame Shame Shame.

Cos there are mugs who actually think it represents what Thai people think when actually it only represents what they think. 

6 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Thailand is playing a very dangerous game and is in the process of irreversibly destroy its tourism industry.

First, there is a developing xenophobia within the population, which is not really needed.

Fear of the stranger, for whatever reason, is never good.

What if foreigners started developing similar feelings regarding Thais, and didn't let them into their countries, especially for work?

Then there is the image Thailand is projecting.

What are these Chinese who had jumped through all the hoops before their trip was cancelled at the last minute going to think, and tell their friends, including all those on their social websites?

Something like "don't bother and go spend your money elsewhere"...

which countries are you speaking of that make it easy for thai's? to even visit let alone work ?.

many of us are waiting for thailand to open up in saying we will find another country to visit where?.

Depending on which country you are from will determine which country you can visit even then this changes by the day.

Many of us in the west have a sense of entitlement and can not understand why we can not go where we want when we want.

In the normal times we also see nothing wrong in our home countries making it difficult for foreigners to visit our country ah well no double standards there?

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, robblok said:

But they are still a majority. That is how a democracy works. Why would the minority be the ones that say stuff. 

Blimey, Robb talking about democracy, well I never...

I thought you were of the opinion that some people were too stupid for democracy hence the need for military strong men to jump in and help the population by overthrowing their elected government, you know essentially destroying what little democracy there was because you and the rich found them distasteful...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kaopad999 said:

This confirms EXACTLY what i was saying in a previous post that the majority Thai's will NOT want their borders open to foreign tourists at this time.

So you are speaking for the majority of Thais?? Very presumptuous on your behalf, don't you think?

• Haha 1

Interesting: The Chinise on TSV program which were to arrive last week are once again delayed? These are the rich people that are going to pay lots of money to be at quarantine.?! 

Can someone explain one thing please: The cost of having the borders  closed must be enormous. In other countries we are talking deep recession. Here in Thailand we must pass deep recession. How on earth the government can effort this? How on earth the people of Thailand will pay for this? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jaxxper said:

So I’m assuming that most of those polled are marginally if at all impacted by the standstill of the tourist/ entertainment industry.(yet).

Govt should say they are increasing taxes to help aid those that are unemployed in the tourist industry by 15/20%, then poll again. Would suggest you might get a different result.

Great idea!

A whore tax to subsidise short term fiancés.

(you mentioned the entertainment industry, right?)

6 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Okay....let's take the situation in the UK.....estimates suggest (with extensive testing) even now only 6% of the population have gained immunity. Now project that outcome onto Thailand's population with a much more rigorous lockdown and extensive controls in terms of washing hands, use of face masks, social distancing..........so you are right...I don't KNOW that Thailand has no immunity......so let's say I would be surprised, given the comments above, that Thailand has extensive immunity.......and may, as a consequence, run the risks of the pandemic re-establishing itself.

Ok lets take the situation in the UK 544,275 positive cases out of a population 67,982,314 is about 0.801% have immunity through being infected so where does the 6% come from?Do the sums from today's figures.The experts don't seem to know much about the immunity factors in this pandemic and are at best making guesses, and they will tell you they are guessing.One thing is certain about the Thai numbers in this pandemic is that they indicate that very little testing has been done,other than that we are pretty much running blind.Rigorous lockdown and extensive controls?What rigorous lockdown and extensive controls?Not much lockdown or adherence to extensive control was practiced around here in Isaan where I live.You might also be surprised that the pandemic has swept though Thailand had finished before Sweden.Thailand pretty well did what Sweden did and went about life with little effort apart from the border closures.You may well be right but we will probably have to wait a long time to find out.The pandemic didn't establish in the first instance because they didn't test so the pandemic will not re-establish because they aren't testing no test no covid no pandemic no second wave all achieved by simple management of data.  

Another aspect is that there are probably a lot of Thais who are afraid about Covid mainly as they fear another lock-down, but not so much the disease itself. In other words, they fear the economic impact of the paranoid reactions of the government, and would simply like to continue with their normal life.

Or, again in other words, they would like to send Prayut to hell firstly, and then welcome the tourists back to the country.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sharp said:

Go ask the Essan farming families who now have extra mouths to feed from returnees formerly employed in Tourists hotpots with no additional income I've seen it for myself what they would say!! 

I live in Korat Thais shopping like crazy going to Starbucks, Nonsense 

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

So, they should open the country to facilitate for all the bargirls to have sex on a daily basis? Is that what you are saying?

The Thai population seems to have made up their mind. They do not want their country invaded by 40 million tourists per year. Guess that´s gonna be hard to accept for this little online community.

However, I think they are making a fantastic choice. They are finally starting to understand how nice and calm their country can be without sex tourism and drunken low life. I big Thank You to Thailand and it´s citizens are in order.

Long as the Thai economy can survive I have to agree with you . But there are many doubts that they can .

18 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

A rather bizarre and uneducated reply. Thailand has been moving away from what you refer to as sex tourism for a decade or longer. 

You are funny. Whenever I leave my home here in Central Pattaya I am surrounded by endless hookers. And they became more and more during the last years. More bars in Soi Buakhao, LK Metro, Tree Town - and this is only what I see here in the city center. Even extended opening hours or no obeyed closing times. The government here is extremely nightlife friendly. It looks as if there are less sex tourists now because there are many other tourist. But obviously there are still enough. There are not many places in Pattaya where you have tourists and no sex business. Even in the malls hookers are sitting around and are waiting for customers. At the moment it is more quiet. But not because they want it like this. 

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

“The Thai population seems to have made up their mind”

What 57% of a random meaningless poll of 1,300 lol

Yeah brilliant, “nice and calm” ........and skint with tons of job losses and families penniless. 

Nothing to do with what Thais want just another selfish im alright jack post, well done.

I am sure they will survive, and find new things to make money on. Might take a while, but they will fix it.

44 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

A rather bizarre and uneducated reply. Thailand has been moving away from what you refer to as sex tourism for a decade or longer. The entire industry had been in a constant state of decline. And that should bring solace to your thin skinned self. Perhaps 1 or 2% of tourists participated in the trade. And at least that many Thais. Live and let live? Ever considered that? 

I do agree 38 million was unsustainable. However, considering that 20% of the $550 billion a year GDP was generated from tourism, Thailand is going to have to get very creative to replace that income, and those jobs. 

And what do you suggest they do with the tens of thousands of hotels, that people and companies have invested tens of trillions of baht into? 

Jobs the Thai people always find. They are very creative when it comes to making money for living. They can start more production and export businesses, which will both employ and contribute to the GDP.

Regarding the hotels, they can easily be turned into rooms for rent or apartments for sale.

Don´t worry, it´s not your problem. They will find a way. They´ve always done that.