Thai health insurance.

I had to leave Thailand 12 months ago due to head injury...

Been recuperating in AUS...I see where one has to now get Thai insurance. I did have an O-A visa.

As I am over the hill at 82, for such insurance, I have sufficient funds to cover any unforeseen hospital fees, as has been for the last 20 years.

I cannot find any info in regards to not needing Thai insurance due to sufficient funds in bank..

Can any member please advise if there is such info re: the above...

Cheers.J.H.P.

If you are talking about the 400K inpatient / 40K outpatient insurance required of O-A visa holders you can simply apply for an O Visa (either out of the country at a consulate or embassy or convert a tourist entry once inside Thailand) which does not have the requirements. The other insurance is the 100K US Dollar Covid-19 insurance that is required of all entrants during the pandemic rules we are under.

At the moment of course Covid Insurance is required.

Also a COE which needs a Thai wife, dependent or O-A, O-X Visas, which both require insurance irrespective of Covid. There is no mention of 'cash in the bank' as an alternative, i.e. self insuring. During Covid rules I believe you have no options.

Edited by jacko45k

The insurance is only required to apply for an extension based upon retirement at immigration unless you entered the country with a OA long stay visa.

Af the restriction are lifted for entry to Thailand you could enter the country you could enter visa exempt or with a tourist visa and change to a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry and the apply for the one year extension based upon retirement. No insurance would be required for to do it.

• Like 1

If you are referring to O-A visa requirement (as opposed to the COVID insurance) there is no alternative to the mandatory insurance requirement. However if you get a new O-A visa in AUS, you can use an international policy to meet the requirement. You will not, however, be able to  get an in-country extension with an international policy and there indeed are no local policies that will newly insure at your age.

An O visa, even if Australia issues them for retirement (some countries do not) will not enable you to enter Thailand at this time unless married to a Thai. Once COVID restrictions are lifted (not likely anytime soon) then yes, O visa would be way around this and if AUS doesn't issue them you could enter visa exempt and then change to non-O in-country.

Note that independent of the O-A insurance requirement there is a requirement for all visa types to have at least US $100,000 cover for COVID. There are local poklicies that can be bought online for this, or if yo uare having to get an international policy to meet O-A requirements, just make sure it covers COVID and ottla ocver is at least $100K (virtuall yall international policies would be, but the COVID inclusion could be an issue especially for travel policies)

• Like 1