Crackdown on illegal foreign teachers: Heavy fines and deportation for those without work permits

webfact

On 10/8/2020 at 5:42 PM, 2530Ubon said:

No more ridiculous than Filipino English teachers, or backpackers without degrees from the UK/USA teaching.

The Chinese teachers are teaching Chinese and the Japanese teachers are teaching Japanese. The last government school (located in Isaan) I taught at before I retired had both. China subsidized most if not all the salary of their teachers. Now that school has trained Thai teachers teaching those languages. By all accounts those young Thai teachers are doing a very good job teaching the basic skills of those languages.      

23 minutes ago, jhawks09 said:

The Chinese teachers are teaching Chinese and the Japanese teachers are teaching Japanese. The last government school (located in Isaan) I taught at before I retired had both. China subsidized most if not all the salary of their teachers. Now that school has trained Thai teachers teaching those languages. By all accounts those young Thai teachers are doing a very good job teaching the basic skills of those languages.      

I was well aware of that, hence the sarcasm 

12 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

No they are not, it is corrupt admins and agencies that are causing low salaries. 

No, it is the increase in Pinoy and African English teachers. At my youngest kid's school there are 4 from Cameroon, 2 from India, 1 from Ghana, and 5 from Philippines. There are still a few from US and UK, but the starting salary is the same as it was 20 years ago when it was ONLY teachers from US, UK, and Oz. 

It's a disgrace; I can't understand most of them. The degrees the Cameroonians and Philippinos have are probably fake and even if they were real, the standard is so much lower than in UK unis, for example. 

Corrupt school directors are the cause, not agencies. They can hire an African for 25k a month or a Brit for 40k. As they don't care about education, and only their new Benz, the choice is obvious. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Disparate Dan said:

I hev bin teachin Inglish in Tailand now for more than 20 yeers and noone has ever kweried my kwalifications. Im not even from the pHilipnnes, which I carnt spell, but from Ingerland where the Inglish come from.

Seeriusly, I hav lifed here for more than 20 yeers and known many many teechers, but no more than a couple of them have cared a tuppeny damn about teechin – they are only wurried about there “beer vouchers”, as some one said, and/or about getting sum sort of visa that will keep them in LoS (sorry, LoS) for anuther few munths.

Also, many yeers ago, I paid for school lesuns for my sun, who was taut by a Filipino, and it wosnt any kind of English I recognise.

ps I am from UK with a degree in linguistics. English teaching in Thailand is a total disgrace, blame shared about equally by authorities and (most of) those who claim to teach. “Pay peanuts and get monkeys”?

sorry, I think I spelled 'LoS' wrong.

Wot skool?

19 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Why not just make it easier for foreigners to teach in Thailand?  Make them take a recognized test such as IELTS and they're good to go for conversational English.  Not many foreigners are QTS status anyway.

Australia has a system where people can do short courses suitable to their already acquired talents and qualify to teach under supervision. For example, someone who is a carpenter but is  sick of working onsite can qualify to teach carpentry. It utilizes a knowledge base which would otherwise go untapped.  Thailand has a resource in expats who, as you said, could teach conversational English. My niece's Filipino teacher teaches nothing. My sister in law is at the local Anuban school. They have young English teachers coming for a few months  then they  go. The other problem is  the whole work permit system is too restrictive. My friend employed a farung diving instructor and there was constant trouble with the authorities. Immigration even wanted him to keep all his staff(Thai and Farung) from work one day for an Immigration visit. My ex wife arrived in Australia and as soon as she applied for a marriage visa she was given full work rights.

50 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

African English teachers.  4 from Cameroon, 2 from India, 1 from Ghana, aThey can hire an African for 25k a month or a Brit for 40k. As they don't care about education, and only their new Benz, the choice is obvious. 

It could be worse you could have a Jamaican teaching your kids English/Patois is an English-based creole language

18 hours ago, AndyFoxy said:

I know a guy who has worked at a school for 22 years and is now the Head of English. No degree.....just a forged photocopy.

Very common, but I bet he's a good teacher. I had a friend with no degree, who was the head of English at a private university in Hua Hin. 

My boss told me how to get a real Master's degree in Education from Isarn University for 50,000 baht. 

I worked with a guy at the most prestigious school in Thailand. He was working with the Thai and London mafias. He shouted over to me once, "how do you spell sugar?". Nice guy- he just wanted the WP and as soon as he got he, he was off to Hong Kong for a big sting. 

5 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

It could be worse you could have a Jamaican teaching your kids English/Patois is an English-based creole language

I think I'd prefer that to the constant Christian stuff the Africans try to impose on the kids. I'm a innerstanding Jah.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:
22 hours ago, Grapefruit said:

As morally wrong as some may think it is, is it illegal for a teacher to allow a class to think that he/she is a Filipino?  That's all they are doing!

It is Illegal cause such schools are misleading these parents for higher school fees.

What?  The vast majority of parents, probably 95%+, are Thai, do you really think that Thai parents or students cannot instantly identify a Thai as being Thai?  No Thai is ever going to believe another, clearly Thai person, claiming to be Filipino.  

And I doubt that it's an offence, even if they didn't cotton on, as I believe that the reason that is occasionally done (maybe only this one time, even) is only to deter the students from using Thai in the classes.

Edited by Grapefruit
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Corrupt school directors are the cause, not agencies. They can hire an African for 25k a month or a Brit for 40k. As they don't care about education, and only their new Benz, the choice is obvious. 

Really? I wouldn't get out of bed for 40k.

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Perhaps you wouldn't make a good teacher. 

True. Same as most foreigners teaching in Thailand. At least I'd have the correct pronunciation and an adequate vocabulary if teaching English.

I've always subscribed to the old adage, "Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach."

Edited by polpott

5 hours ago, polpott said:

True. Same as most foreigners teaching in Thailand. At least I'd have the correct pronunciation and an adequate vocabulary if teaching English.

I've always subscribed to the old adage, "Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach."

"And those that can't teach, teach in Thailand..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cyril sneer said:

did you know living costs are higher in the UK?

I know they're not. I can live just as cheaply in the UK. eg 2 pints and a nice steak costs me less in the UK than it does here. There's no way that I could live on 40k baht in Thailand.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, polpott said:

I know they're not. I can live just as cheaply in the UK. eg 2 pints and a nice steak costs me less in the UK than it does here. There's no way that I could live on 40k baht in Thailand.

And where are you going to sleep in the UK?

Factor that in and Thailand is immensely cheaper.

Just now, PattayaJames said:

And where are you going to sleep in the UK?

Factor that in and Thailand is immensely cheaper.

I had a house, bought and paid for in the UK which I sold when moving here. I would buy another. In the meantime, I have a bolthole in the UK where I stay and use as my postal address, rent free.

3 minutes ago, polpott said:

I had a house, bought and paid for in the UK which I sold when moving here. I would buy another. In the meantime, I have a bolthole in the UK where I stay and use as my postal address, rent free.

Fair enough, but staying long term in the UK costs mount up quickly if you are paying for accomodation buying or renting, council tax etc. Thailand IS cheaper overall and a whole lot more fun.

• Like 1