Bali retirement vs TH retirement during covid--Amazing difference

steelepulse

20 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Muslim country. That is a deterrent to me, I like my bacon & beer and don't like people yelling from top of a tower, much less laws based on a religion.

Are you aware how many Muslims there are in Pattaya?

They're really friendly to anyone. 

And honestly, the tolling of Christian church bells can be quite annoying, too. 

On 10/11/2020 at 11:28 AM, micmichd said:

Are you aware how many Muslims there are in Pattaya?

They're really friendly to anyone. 

Thailand doesn't have laws based on Sharia. That is the real threat when in a muslim country. I do agree any loud religion is annoying. These that need a crutch should do their thing in private.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 7:28 AM, micmichd said:

Never heard highly-amplified bells ringing from multiple surrounding churches at 6am, which was the situation in Istanbul. The call to prayer, distant and melancholy, may have some spiritual appeal. But asynchronously blasted from a dozen minarets degenerates into noise pollution (and a 5x daily reminder o who's ruling the roost).

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 8:34 AM, Boomer6969 said:

I dare to add that the burning flags are symbols of rejected (former?) imperialistic policies of these countries and not the rejection of their people.

But Indonesia's colonial masters were predominantly the Dutch, not the Aussies, Americans or Brits! To quote from Wikipedia:-

In 1602 the Dutch established the Dutch East India Company (VOC) and became the dominant European power by 1610. Following bankruptcy, the VOC was formally dissolved in 1800, and the government of the Netherlands established the Dutch East Indies under government control. By the early 20th century, Dutch dominance extended to the current boundaries. The Japanese invasion and subsequent occupation in 1942–45 during WWII ended Dutch rule, and encouraged the previously suppressed Indonesian independence movement. Two days after the surrender of Japan in August 1945, nationalist leader, Sukarno, declared independence and became president. The Netherlands tried to reestablish its rule, but a bitter armed and diplomatic struggle ended in December 1949, when in the face of international pressure, the Dutch formally recognised Indonesian independence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Indonesia

15 minutes ago, onebir said:

Never heard highly-amplified bells ringing from multiple surrounding churches at 6am, which was the situation in Istanbul. The call to prayer, distant and melancholy, may have some spiritual appeal. But asynchronously blasted from a dozen minarets degenerates into noise pollution (and a 5x daily reminder o who's ruling the roost).

A dozen of asynchronously tolling churchbells on Sunday mornings when you want to sleep can be quite annoying, too. 

In Heidelberg (Germany) I called it "sacral terror", and that's what it is. 

• Like 1

I believe that in another year we'll be living in a brave new world with a unique New Normal imposed by each country's government.
To use a metaphor,
A new deck will be tossed on the table, the cards reshuffled, players will ante in, and the cards re-dealt.  And we will be playing a new game. 
Right at the moment the cards are being reshuffled.  Too early to even know the nature of the game we will be playing. We just make the decision if we plan to play and get our ante ready to toss on the table.  Time will tell which table has the most interesting game for the stakes we can afford.  From what I'm seeing now, Thailand has decided to go from a $1 ante table to $100 ante. Maybe they'll open another table with lower stakes in the future. Maybe?  Once the table stakes are more clearly defined, we can then choose at which table we wish to sit.  Until then?  Get your mask on, get inside, and no fun!

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 2:44 PM, DrTuner said:

Muslim country. That is a deterrent to me, I like my bacon & beer and don't like people yelling from top of a tower, much less laws based on a religion.

Where did you get your doctorate, Khao San Road?

Bali ist Hindu, Babi Guling (Suckling Pig -> Pork) is a local specialty and I get bacon every morning at every single hotel.

The only region in Indonesia that has Sharia Law (to a limited degree) is Aceh. Indonesia is a rather free country with many religions, a substantial part of the country is of Christian fait, especially ethnic Chinese.

Get an education man!

5 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

The only region in Indonesia that has Sharia Law (to a limited degree) is Aceh. Indonesia is a rather free country with many religions, a substantial part of the country is of Christian fait, especially ethnic Chinese.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/103382/is-indonesia-becoming-a-sharia-state

The decisions won't be made on a small island. The risk is real and nort worth taking.

9 minutes ago, micmichd said:

No idea, I've never been to East Timor. 

But I know Arabian Muslims - always on a mission. 

A few... Point is it does not need muslims... Indonesia invaded East Timor a week after it gained independance

23 hours ago, micmichd said:

A dozen of asynchronously tolling churchbells on Sunday mornings when you want to sleep can be quite annoying, too. 

In Heidelberg (Germany) I called it "sacral terror", and that's what it is. 

But just don't you dare mow the lawn!