Foreign property owners now allowed to return to Thailand

rooster59

34 minutes ago, high plane drifter said:

I would never think that would come to that point...

Someone is really distroing the tourism industry,,,

yeah,, someone who doesn't like foreigners. I have heard this long time ago before covig 19. If i'm not wrong,  It was an issue with someone, who has close relationship with the thai army before. The prime minister chan o cha ???

Edited by alianware
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Banana7 said:

Sounds like the Thai banks are running low on cash and so is the government. Recently they raised the deposit insurance to 5 million on THB savings accounts, but only temporarily. The banks are holding onto lots of none performing loans, and assets, like repossessed cars, houses, land, at values that are far too high in the current market.

During the last financial crash, 2008/09, dozens of Western banks and financial institutions went bust or needed government bailouts...none in Thailand. I'd be more worried about having funds in over-leveraged Western banks than Thai ones.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

It will be used by the bank and one of my main banks is state owned. Look at who has shares in these banks and who can manipulate and use them as a tool. Don't kid yourself that this money will not be used in one way or the other by the you know who.

All banks are creatures of the governments that charter them and the central banks that regulate them. If you feel this way, better keep your money under the mattress or in gold.

1 hour ago, Jomtien Beach said:

You become less infected if you have 3 million in one account. Is it time to sell a condo and move to another warm country?

I don't think that's what they're saying because they still have to quarantine and meet all the other requirements of all the other returnees who don't require 3M.

• Like 1

I think people are misunderstanding the 3 million baht deposit.  This money must have been deposited at some time in order to purchase said property.  It doesn't need to be there now, they just need to show that it was there when they completed the purchase.  Just a case of poor translation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, realfunster said:

Seems to me they are offering the option to those interested and rich enough to make these investments in order that they will be allowed into the promised holy CoVid-free land.

Could be...seems a reasonable (temporary) policy to me.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

So people who are financial nit wits leaving huge amounts of money in bank accounts earning no money coming from a country with high covid19 rates are more welcome in Thailand than people who have retirement Visas but spend money in Thailand with the smaller Thai businesses. 

Not sure where all you financial gurus are keeping your liquid assets, but in Canada at the Bank of Montreal for deposits under $250,000 (approx 5m baht) the interest rate is 0.05%.  In Thailand at SCB for deposits less than 10m the interest rate is 0.25% - fives times that of Canada.   Thailand is not a bad place to keep some funds.   Not sure about the UK requirement though.  Seems any non-Thai bank should suffice.  

4 minutes ago, whitfield said:

I think people are misunderstanding the 3 million baht deposit.  This money must have been deposited at some time in order to purchase said property.  It doesn't need to be there now, they just need to show that it was there when they completed the purchase.  Just a case of poor translation.

That makes a lot more sense...and I hope you are correct.

But this Government are really not that bright...so it would not be surprising if it's not.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, whitfield said:

Why 3 million?  15 years ago or more, it would be hard to find a condo in Chiang Mai at such a high price.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Why 3 million?  15 years ago or more, it would be hard to find a condo in Chiang Mai at such a high price.

Well of course that's the bit they didn't think through, people who bought 15 - 20 years ago, but it does show they only want the well heeled.

14 minutes ago, whitfield said:

Show me the correct translation please

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, kuzmabruk said:

Not sure where all you financial gurus are keeping your liquid assets, but in Canada at the Bank of Montreal for deposits under $250,000 (approx 5m baht) the interest rate is 0.05%.  In Thailand at SCB for deposits less than 10m the interest rate is 0.25% - fives times that of Canada.   Thailand is not a bad place to keep some funds.   Not sure about the UK requirement though.  Seems any non-Thai bank should suffice.  

It’s not about the interest rates...it’s about the deposit insurance for me.  1m coverage for a 3m required deposit.  I’d rather get 0% interest and be insured.  

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, whitfield said:

really ?? Why do they hiring such people idiot for an important issue ?? There are a lot talented people actually !