Stuck On What To Do - Thai Elite the best option?

I'm a digital nomad who used to 'live' (tourist visa re-entry bs) and left 3-4 weeks ago to Dubai (whack & epensive city lol, miss Thailand)

Plan earlier was to travel 2 months per country (Japan, Korea etc) but with no sight of countries opening up soon, and the long-term stay tourist visa being delayed indefinitely, it seems my best option right now is to try to get a Thai Elite visa and have some peace of mind? The long-term visa was a better option as it was much cheaper and offered 9 months a year but yah... 

And yah, don't wanna go back home, it's cold and not a fan of the lifestyle.

Is Thai Elite Visa worth it right now? Seems now they're allowing folks back in but everything's a bumpy road with Thailand....

How long does it take to get one now?

Credit Cards (not debit cards) are not provided for Elite Visa holders right?

Is it better to gamble hoping the long-term tourist visa will be allowed soon or just say F IT and go for elite visa?  

I can afford it but would suck to pay 500k only for the long-term visa to be allowed right after.

Your input is much appreciated.

• Haha 1

Waiting is more worth. Why do you need to spend 500K bath for that only for five years ?? 

If you follow the news, i read so many complain about thai elite. Many of them could not get in to the country as well because of the new STV regulation. It's not joke. 

I wanted to apply elite visa before but than i cancel that after reading thats all stuff. 

If you can afford living in Dubai , than you can also better using your money to buy property and provide the requirement and you can get in as well withouth losing your money for only 5 years. Time goes very quick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genix said:

but with no sight of countries opening up soon

I think I read here Cambodia is open, if you pay a Covid deposit. Maybe also Laos/Vietnam/Malaysia/Indonesia/Philippines. All those places must be much cheaper than Dubai, & cheap to travel to Th from when it finally opens up on reasonable terms, so it might be worth checking which are possible &/ starting a thread if you don't get an answer/find out anything interesting.

22 minutes ago, onebir said:

I think I read here Cambodia is open, if you pay a Covid deposit.

And a business visa issued by a Cambodian embassy. Plus a possible 14 day quarantine.

22 minutes ago, onebir said:

Maybe also Laos/Vietnam/Malaysia/Indonesia/Philippines.

All of those are closed at this time.

Check here by clicking of the country on this map for general info. https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, onebir said:

I think I read here Cambodia is open, if you pay a Covid deposit. Maybe also Laos/Vietnam/Malaysia/Indonesia/Philippines. All those places must be much cheaper than Dubai, & cheap to travel to Th from when it finally opens up on reasonable terms, so it might be worth checking which are possible &/ starting a thread if you don't get an answer/find out anything interesting.

There are no neighbouring countries borders open for foreigners, except maybe Cambodia if the deposit scheme still is on the table. I am not sure about Laos, but then we're talking quarantine for sure. 

Yah a surrounding country isn't bad either - I'm keeping an eye on surrounding countries in South & East Asia, wouldn't mind them as long as no 14-day quarantine required although that's unlikely (unless it's Thailand). Else my plan right now is to leave Dubai end of next month and just be in Turkey until things work out.

Eyeing the Elite Visa depending on how they get treated over the next 2-3 weeks. I've read on the other thread it took about 1.5 months to get.

STV is only for certain countries it seems.

Edited by Genix

1 hour ago, Genix said:

Eyeing the Elite Visa depending on how they get treated over the next 2-3 weeks. I've read on the other thread it took about 1.5 months to get.

I have been unimpressed by what I have heard of Thailand Elite's customer service the last couple of months. However, if I believed there was any chance I might want to get a membership, I would go ahead and make an application. That does not require any payment. After your application is approved, you can then decide whether to proceed and actually pay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Genix said:

Is it better to gamble hoping the long-term tourist visa will be allowed soon or just say F IT and go for elite visa?  

I can afford it but would suck to pay 500k only for the long-term visa to be allowed right after.

Your input is much appreciated.

Hi

i recomand you to read this topic before you decide the way to go

If i was you i probably will give a try to Mexico where you can entry

and stay with no major hassle, enjoy the weather and the low cost life

waiting better days to enter Thailand (In 6-10 months from now imo)

good luck

22 hours ago, Genix said:

Credit Cards (not debit cards) are not provided for Elite Visa holders right?

They can assist you with gaining a footprint by establishing a Bangkok Bank Savings Account and debit card. For credit cards you can go with a secured product to build rating and then change to unsecured a year later. YMMV. The banking story in Thailand is very much YMMV. We have a whole forum category on that topic and you will often see that two foreigners, same nationality, same visa class and status, same set of documents on hand go into 2 different branches of the same bank in the same province and one is shown the door whereas the other has an account opened no probs. Another route into credit cards and NCB (sort of like Thai FICO) is if you have enough assets to go into something like Citigold. They are usually willing to get you started with a credit card product by virtue of your AUM.

About Thailand Elite... Had you asked me a week ago I would have told you its BS and their repatriation efforts are a myth. They seem to be resolving this now. A lot of members got certificate of entry approved this weekend. And they have found a way to get official stats they seem to publish every ~2 weeks. I would wait until the mid-October stats on TEM-Q applicant CoE approvals come out to confirm that they have indeed resolved their issues before considering the Thailand Elite visa.

Edit: BritTim's advice in post #11 is actually pretty solid. Apply, watch what existing members report in coming weeks re: Certificate of Entry backlog, then decide.

Edited by KoreaElte
Post #11 deserves a thumbs up
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, BritTim said:

I have been unimpressed by what I have heard of Thailand Elite's customer service the last couple of months. However, if I believed there was any chance I might want to get a membership, I would go ahead and make an application. That does not require any payment. After your application is approved, you can then decide whether to proceed and actually pay.

Thanks for this info wasn't aware you pay at the end - will defo get the application process rolling. 

3 hours ago, KoreaElte said:

They can assist you with gaining a footprint by establishing a Bangkok Bank Savings Account and debit card. For credit cards you can go with a secured product to build rating and then change to unsecured a year later. YMMV. The banking story in Thailand is very much YMMV. We have a whole forum category on that topic and you will often see that two foreigners, same nationality, same visa class and status, same set of documents on hand go into 2 different branches of the same bank in the same province and one is shown the door whereas the other has an account opened no probs. Another route into credit cards and NCB (sort of like Thai FICO) is if you have enough assets to go into something like Citigold. They are usually willing to get you started with a credit card product by virtue of your AUM.

Thanks! Will work on getting a CC in order to use CC points. Not looking for the money but rather the points, so this will come in valuable.

Glad to hear things with Thai Elite are improving. Worst case a 2 week quarantine is required which I'd be okay with, better than the alternative. Weird times this year...

12 hours ago, Genix said:

Thanks! Will work on getting a CC in order to use CC points. Not looking for the money but rather the points, so this will come in valuable.

I wonder now if I misunderstood your question. I was talking about getting a Thai Credit card with the help of Thailand Elite once you are in the country. If you mean "do they let me pay the membership fee with a card" then it depends. If you go through an agent its up to the agent. If you applied directly I have people report that Visa and Mastercard are accepted but they seem to be quoting in USD, not Thai Baht and at a <deleted> exchange rate. Member found it more palatable to use transferwise and pay cash rather than with a CC due to this.

2 hours ago, KoreaElte said:

I wonder now if I misunderstood your question. I was talking about getting a Thai Credit card with the help of Thailand Elite once you are in the country. If you mean "do they let me pay the membership fee with a card" then it depends. If you go through an agent its up to the agent. If you applied directly I have people report that Visa and Mastercard are accepted but they seem to be quoting in USD, not Thai Baht and at a <deleted> exchange rate. Member found it more palatable to use transferwise and pay cash rather than with a CC due to this.']

I'm pretty sure you understood it, at least based on your answer.

Yes the CC question was for AFTER arriving in Thailand and sorting all Elite visa stuff. I run a lot of marketing but as a non-resident of the US (my firm is there) it's much more difficult to get a CC. If Thailand offers CC with bonus points options it may be a great option, will investigate further after obtaining it and talking with the banks/elite etc. Basically looking to get points for my spend, but have to look into USD fees etc (as they'd be online transactions).

Yesterday a Dutch expat told me the cheapest Thai Elite visa will go up in price by 100.000 THB next year. I can't confirm it myself, but if true and you're considering to buy a Thai Elite visa, might need to buy one in the next 2.5 months unless one wants to spend an extra 100.000 THB.

Edited by wolf81

12 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

Be careful to get a card with no foreign exchange fee and then always pay in Baht.  Otherwise either the dollar exchange rate or foreign exchange fees will cost you a lot.

I paid mine using TransferWise. TransferWise doesn't cheat with exchange fees like most banks. 

24 minutes ago, wolf81 said:

I paid mine using TransferWise. TransferWise doesn't cheat with exchange fees like most banks. 

Are you talking about paying for EliteVisa's fee via TF? 

TF is awesome we use it a lot for our business and it saves us a lot of money & it's quick.

26 minutes ago, wolf81 said:

Yesterday a Dutch expat told me the cheapest Thai Elite visa will go up in price by 100.000 THB next year. I can't confirm it myself, but if true and you're considering to buy a Thai Elite visa, might need to buy one in the next 2.5 months unless one wants to spend an extra 100.000 THB.

Yep there's a thread about it too on this same sub-forum which is another reason why I went ahead and applied now. That 100k will go a long way in Thailand...

Cambodia is an option, it's $2,000 now for the mandatory 14-day quarantine.

After the 14 days, once you are inside the country, it's fairly easy and cheap to convert the tourist visa to a 6-months or one-year visa (such as a business visa). You can stay there while you wait for other ASEAN countries to open up.

Edited by andux

48 minutes ago, andux said:

Cambodia is an option, it's $2,000 now for the mandatory 14-day quarantine.

After the 14 days, once you are inside the country, it's fairly easy and cheap to convert the tourist visa to a 6-months or one-year visa (such as a business visa). You can stay there while you wait for other ASEAN countries to open up.

You can not enter Cambodia with a tourist visa. You have to have a certain visa to enter issued by Cambodia embassy.

It is $2000 deposit plus the 14 day quarantine.

image.png.3583344a11dfeeb8c1fef8714676d469.png

Source after clicking Cambodia on the map: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can not enter Cambodia with a tourist visa. You have to have a certain visa to enter issued by Cambodia embassy.

It is $2000 deposit plus the 14 day quarantine.

image.png.3583344a11dfeeb8c1fef8714676d469.png

Source after clicking Cambodia on the map: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

Thanks for the correction.

So I guess OP could try Europe. Serbia is fully open, for example, according to your source and this one: https://www.kayak.com/travel-restrictions.

Edited by andux