20 killed after train collides with bus in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

10 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

A couple of years back i was driving back to Samui from a visa run to Ranong, coming round a bend i met a dip in the road near to Ban Na Doem, not far from Suratthani, i saw no signs but suddenly found myself on a railway line. I was shocked to learn that i had just crossed the Bangkok to Malaysia main line.  I stopped and walked back  to look for a sign and found it covered in vine. I spoke with a guy about it and was informed that "Everybody " knows that the crossing is there ?

Same happens in the UK local authorities do not mark the road and put signs up where the drivers must make decisions contrary to the highway code. Also near me there are long term major road works where the restrictive speed limit signs and warnings are obscured by foliage which has grown over the summer months. Local Authorities actually create blind junctions and bends by putting up fences or installing shrubbery to make it pretty and obscure motorists vision My point is that everyone complains about Thailand when exactly the same things happen here in the UK

9 hours ago, Derek B said:

Why just at "risky spots"?

Such basic "improvements" are surely a mandatory requirement at all crossings. The design of many of these crossings is allowing drivers to take risks. Engineer the risk out to ALARP.

ALARP, which stands for "as low as reasonably practicable", or ALARA ("as low as reasonably achievable"), is a term often used in the regulation and management of safety-critical and safety-involved systems. The ALARP principle is that the residual risk shall be reduced as far as reasonably practicable.

Same happens in the uK. Residents of a village near me complained for years that it was very dangerous for residents to cross the fast major road (so they could get to the Bus stop located on a bend) no safe way of crossing for miles in either direction. Local authority ignored them until a 14 year old girl was killed trying to get to the bus stop so she could go to school. The LA then installed a light controlled pelican crossing. It is common for  authorities in any country to ignore accidents waiting to happen, until someone dies. Its a way of saving money.

27 minutes ago, RobU said:

Not necessarily overloaded. The number of seats depends on the length of the coach and the number of axles the average for a 12 metre bus is 50 to 55. So 60 is not out of the question if the bus was packed and there were 5 standing (or 5 small children) or the bus is a semi double decker with a small lower deck at the rear replacing part of the luggage compartment which usually runs the full length of the bus. We don't use seatbelts on buses in the UK why should they do it in Thailand?

What's has seat belts in the UK got to do with Thailand? 

I think people on this forum should stop trying to apportion blame to either the bus driver or the train driver or the bystander who stopped to call the emergency services but did not run down to the crash site immediately. We are not in possession of the full facts the videos and pictures do not tell the full story nor does the reporting by media. Only an investigation will tell us exactly what happened. I know people are suspicious of Thai authorities but cover ups happen in our own countries as well, eg Hillsborough (hundreds dead), Rochdale rape gangs (hundreds of underage white girls groomed and raped), the Profumo scandal... to name 3 in the UK alone, which is noted as one of the safest countries in the world.

3 hours ago, stouricks said:

Look at the very first picture in the post where there is a blue passenger coach and the coach wreck, and tell me that it's a single track again.

Yep, should have said separate track.  But footage of a prior accident with a passenger train some time back has been seen by some and mistakenly attributed to this accident.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Artisi said:

As far as I'm concerned, I was replying to the one who raised seat belts. 

Sorry about that I copied and pasted the same answer to a previous comment where they implied that passengers were stupid for not wearing seatbelts after they had also commented that the bus was overloaded

This is an appalling tragedy, irrespective of any blame apportioning, and theorising by posters on this forum, that are not aquatinted with all the facts. Heartfelt condolences to all the hundreds of family members and friends affected by this. The grief from this tragedy will engulf so many people. R.I.P.

On 10/11/2020 at 1:00 PM, khunPer said:

There is a Youtube video of the accident, probably from a CCTV surveillance camera, in which it seems like there are warning lights, but I cannot see on the video if they were signalling...

are you sure this is the video? news said ripped bus apart in two!!! I think I saw this video last year, not sure though. 

RIP for those who lost their lives. very sad.

Edited by A512

8 minutes ago, A512 said:

are you sure this is the video? news said ripped bus apart in two!!!

Think the bus is ripped in two length ways from the top down. Notice it falls over after impact and then gets it top peeled off by the train.

Gated level crossings were mandatory from 1839 in the UK and I think banned from further installing of level crossings on new lines. Wonder why Thailand is so far behind on this matter.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, A512 said:

are you sure this is the video? news said ripped bus apart in two!!! I think I saw this video last year, not sure though. 

RIP for those who lost their lives. very sad.

Yes, I'm sure...:thumbsup: – the roof was ripped off, so that's the "ripped apart in two" – and if you bother to open in Youtube window, you will notice that it's uploaded October 10th by Daily News...

คลิปวินาทีรถไฟชนรถบัสสายบุญทอดกฐิน | 111063

Oct 10, 2020
320K subscribers

ติดตามข้อมูลข่าวสารของเดลินิวส์ Facebook : Dailynews Twitter : Dailynews Online Youtube : Dailynews Live-TH Instagram : Dailynews_ig TikTok : Dailynews Online Dailymotion : Dailynews Online Website : www.dailynews.co.th

Google translate the Thai text to: "The second clip of the train crashed the bus line Bunthod Kathin."

The video originates the Daily News, Thai-language article quoted in the opening post...

ikly News

• Like 1

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

Yes, I'm sure...:thumbsup: – the roof was ripped off, so that's the "ripped apart in two" – and if you bother to open in Youtube window, you will notice that it's uploaded October 10th by Daily News...

Google translate the Thai text to: "The second clip of the train crashed the bus line Bunthod Kathin."

The video originates the Daily News, Thai-language article quoted in the opening post...

ikly News

thanks for clarification, it is indeed a disgrace, poor people died in an horrible way.

regards the post date, I came across many recent videos on youtube that were more than a year old with recent post date.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2020 at 7:41 PM, khunPer said:

Probably not from a major news media...????

well, not necessarily, seen major outlets using old footages in recent news, I will not bother to find it to show you, but they are there, mistakes unintentionally and intentionally happens all the time. ????

• Like 1