20 killed after train collides with bus in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

The news report on TV last night included comment from a survivor who spoke of load music and dancing on the bus which had seating for 60 but was carrying 64. 

Absolutely the drivers fault for allowing such distractions on his bus.

57 minutes ago, djayz said:

I find the drivers of those private buses to be the most reckless, the most careless and the most dangerous of all drivers. It often seems like they think/act like they own the roads. 

So many dead and injured because of one stupid mistake. 

Have you travelled by white van?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, khunPer said:

There is a Youtube video of the accident, probably from a CCTV surveillance camera, in which it seems like there are warning lights, but I cannot see on the video if they were signalling...

This video, and the photo on the OP are of different accidents. The first one shows passenger coaches stopped at the scene. This video shows goods/freight trucks and the train did not stop at the scene.

08.11am After looking again, I suspect the passenger coach was one brought up to bring rescuers or ferry victims.  

Edited by stouricks

4 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

They both collided. No confusion. Colliding doesn't imply fault.

I was simply pointing out the difference in the reporting, in the same article. Obviously the train collided with the bus which was obviously at fault.

18 hours ago, webfact said:

According to eyewitness accounts, the bus driver had stopped at the railway crossing for a train but he reportedly did not notice the alarm for another train coming from the other direction.

Locals said that the alarm station was abandoned and the spot blocked the sight of oncoming trains

So not all the blame to the bus driver, who's view was blocked by the abandoned alarm station although one should wait until the lights had stopped flashing. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, stouricks said:

This video, and the photo on the OP are of different accidents. The first one shows passenger coaches stopped at the scene. This video shows goods/freight trucks and the train did not stop at the scene. 

And the bus in the OP was green not white.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

The pic shows it to be a Passenger train, not a freight train.

The pic is not of the actual accident - watch that - it was freight cars only.  Admit that photo is very confusing but probably due to accident being at a train station and shows other carriages not involved.  When did photos ever mean much here?  (or anywhere in the news these days).

I have not seen any mention of what happened to the freight train. It does not appear to slow after the impact with the bus. Surely it must have come to a halt further down the line, with the engine at least damaged, and the driver surely in a state of shock'

• Like 1

15 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Easy to criticise when you are not there.  Of course you would immediately spring in to action, running towards it and saving lives heroically.  Some people go into stunned shock, some don't know what to do, some might not truly realise the gravity of what has just happened, and until you are put in a similar situation no-one knows how they will react.  (Apart from you of course who would react positively and heroically).

...correct...same as the young lad in red who sprinted up there...that's what humans do..RIP those killed...not about acting heroically 'josephbloggs'. This guy casually walked up there, then stood and looked..if he was shocked and stunned, then why go anywhere near the scene..perhaps the wailing of the injured their calling for help was too much for him...oh by the way we humans have a hormone called adrenaline that kicks in immediately causing 'fight or flight'..in his case i think he needs to get his adrenal gland checked.

Edited by tandor
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

28 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

Have you travelled by white van?

On a regular basis. Although I believe that some of those drivers need to be put against a wall and shot too, most of them on the Korat-BKK route seem to be okay. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

According to eyewitness accounts, the bus driver had stopped at the railway crossing for a train but he reportedly did not notice the alarm for another train coming from the other direction.

Those eyewitnesses did not then see what is shown on the video ie the bus did not stop at the crossing, simply drove straight over it without looking to the left.

If as they say another train had passed from the right, why was that not shown on the CCTV video. Total lies from them.

Edited by stouricks

15 hours ago, 473geo said:

Looks like he could be making a call to the emergency services

..well he could make the call from the wreckage whilst helping..or whilst casually walking from the shack to the crossing..he could have done something..he did nothing..shame on him...RIP those killed.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

"Let this case be a lesson, and we will make improvements at risky spots so such accidents will not take place again," Maitree said in a statement.

The lesson is to not let it happen in the first place. !!!!!

Condolences to the deceased families & injured,

once again it shows the incompetence of authorities being unable to act without a tragic accident occurring to prompt them into action.

17 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

Quote:  " ... Trains have the right-of-way because they cannot quickly stop for a motorist at crossings or for trespassers on the tracks. The average freight train, traveling at 55 MPH, takes anywhere from 1 to 1½ miles to stop. Traveling at the same speed, the average automobile can stop in only 200 feet.  ... "

https://www.in.gov/indot/2609.htm

This particular train must have been travelling slowly as it was parked a couple of hundred meters up the line after the accident. Nothing like  1.5 miles at 55 mph.

RIP to the victims. Not a good outcome but could have been significantly worse.

I must say where we live there are 6 or so crossings with lights and barriers, but even when they are not in use warning the passing of a train I’m so so careful crossing the tracks.

6 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

This particular train must have been travelling slowly as it was parked a couple of hundred meters up the line after the accident. Nothing like  1.5 miles at 55 mph.

... yeah, well, didn't help the folks in the bus a lot, did it, maybe that's why it says 'average'?

Was the first article poppin' up that tried to explain the magnitude of difference between rails and road in that regard, I also don't think your average freight train hereabouts does close to 100 km/h 'coz then the pics we see of their numerous derailments would be looking a bit different ...

3 hours ago, Truth Will Set You Free said:

This accident was every bit of the drivers fault. He/she never stop to even check to see if a train was coming. Buses should be required to stop at all railway crossing regardless. 

Anyway, what does it matter. There’s no safety regulations in this country to prevent accidents. Don’t even know why they have highway police. Now that they got a new HTIC, all he wants them to do is get a report from the hospital. 

life to the Thai is considered expendable. 

Takes 30 deaths to trim the trees and install barriers i wonder how many accidents have already occurred on that Rail crossing? 

• Like 1

I learned years ago, never a mini bus, if forced to a coach, usually a train if i can, but even these are not immune to Thainess.......  I remember the train driver who rolled one over near Hua Hin years ago whilst Brahms and List, of course he did the Thai thing and " Fled the scene of the accident "......  Sad for those hard working people killed by these loons, even worse for those that survived...... One day out they'll never forget......  RIP.......

6 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

You are joking are you? A freight train in Thailand doing 100km per hour?

Lucky if they do 60

Yes, you can see in the video it was not doing 100km per hour!  The bus driver as most other drivers I see on the roads, don't seem to have any patience. The seem to not use any common sense. Especially at train tracks, they don't stop, look and listen. The people driving seem to busy talking to someone or on the phone, don't take responsibility for other lives they affect, don't care or all of the above.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

"Let this case be a lesson, and we will make improvements at risky spots so such accidents will not take place again," Maitree said in a statement.

Why just at "risky spots"?

Such basic "improvements" are surely a mandatory requirement at all crossings. The design of many of these crossings is allowing drivers to take risks. Engineer the risk out to ALARP.

ALARP, which stands for "as low as reasonably practicable", or ALARA ("as low as reasonably achievable"), is a term often used in the regulation and management of safety-critical and safety-involved systems. The ALARP principle is that the residual risk shall be reduced as far as reasonably practicable.