20 killed after train collides with bus in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

9 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Why just at "risky spots"?

Such basic "improvements" are surely a mandatory requirement at all crossings. The design of many of these crossings is allowing drivers to take risks. Engineer the risk out to ALARP.

ALARP, which stands for "as low as reasonably practicable", or ALARA ("as low as reasonably achievable"), is a term often used in the regulation and management of safety-critical and safety-involved systems. The ALARP principle is that the residual risk shall be reduced as far as reasonably practicable.

... yes, sounds good but very slow process, been there & done that back home in the 1990s.

It's expensive to upgrade these crossings, so is later maintenance, the only safe way is to go above or below, just like with a real highway a.k.a. Autobahn, now we talking about really effin' expensive ...

First of all - again from experience - the sheer number of crossings will need to be cut and the remaining ones sized up and made safer technically ...

Btw., I suppose the trains have to slow down at this spot as well as lots of others anyway, by schedule, due to 'low safety standard' at these crossings ... underpasses sound good, yes, but aside of costs might be flooded half the time in these here lands ... 

20 hours ago, petermik said:

The only time I ever took a train journey here was from Si Sa Ket to Bangkok....I heard the train driver sounding the horn several times to warn a farmer not to drive his cattle across the tracks....completely ignored it and it was a bloodbath...fortunately it was cattle and not human lives lost....beggars belief what this bus driver was thinking about.

RIP to the deceased :jap:

This track passes fairly close to our house so there are several crossings in the vicinity. We have been sat at the barrier and drivers have overtaken and zig zagged through the barrier, the mind boggles.

Quite often the barriers do not function because they have been bent by traffic trying to pass them so you are dependent on the flashing lights, but to many no barrier no problem.

The freight trains run about 2/3 times an hour and are fairly lengthy so little chance of stopping quickly, had it been the passenger train, that has only 3 carriages and would have stood more of a chance.

I am really surprised there is not a lot more accidents on that line, and as you say sympathies to the families of the deceased.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

800 meter visibility , train going 100 KM per hour , 1.6 kilometers per minute , would have given the bus driver 30 seconds to see the train 

I think you will find 100 kph a tad optimistic for a freight train on the lines over here.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Moo 2 said:

My wife said the bus had Karaoke playing loud....end of comments. 

Yeah, they had a DJ on board (probably some idiot shouting on a mic, turning the music up and down) apparently they were dancing in the aisle at the back of the bus.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Only one thing to say...which is generally not specifically...the Thai engineman don't hit the horn enough when approaching level crossings, if at all.

Absolutely right. I've watched quite a few UK cab ride train videos and 2-3 hundred metres before wherever there is a crossing of any kind there is a sign with a big W on it. The W means whistle. And they do. They also have a bell sound in the cab whenever they are approaching a signal to make sure the driver is alert, but that's another story.

• Like 1

Governor Maitree said the crossing has an alarm but does no barrier to block traffic when a train is coming. He said the province will install speed bumps and barriers as well as cut down trees near the crossing to improve visibility.

Always reactive, never proactive.

As reported in the local news, the bus was full of workers on their way to the temple to make merit. Apparently there was even a DJ onboard so maybe the reason why the crossing's loud, audible warning wasn't heard by the bus driver or anyone else onboard. Mrs NL reckons that being a tamboon bus, it probably would have been full-on party central onboard.

The crossing there has three tracks, two for non-stop, each-way traffic on the main line and a third one on the north side which extends from Bangkok to Chachoengsao and looks like maybe it was the original single-track line and the one normally used for freight trains? It also looks like this 'goods line' may be being rebuilt about 4 km east of the accident site so maybe why the freight strain was on the mainline? The next set of points where trains can be redirected across all three tracks is about 4 km west of the accident site.

The bus had already crossed the single track and was hit by the freight train on the main line. I would have thought that a level crossing that wide, maybe 25 m across and on a quite busy track would have had barriers. Maybe it will in the future.

The video clip does appear to show the amber flashing lights may not have been operating but the low resolution and filtering of the video may account for that. However, witnesses have been reported as saying the loud audible warning is working and was ringing at the time.

With regard to the train 'not stopping', it did stop but the driver, knowing the length of his consist would have made sure his last car was clear of the accident site.

RIP

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, stouricks said:

This video, and the photo on the OP are of different accidents. The first one shows passenger coaches stopped at the scene. This video shows goods/freight trucks and the train did not stop at the scene.

08.11am After looking again, I suspect the passenger coach was one brought up to bring rescuers or ferry victims.  

There is a station, with multiple tracks, next to the incident place; it could be that other trains are passing...????

3 minutes ago, khunPer said:

There is a station, with multiple tracks, next to the incident place; it could be that other trains are passing...????

Do you really think that they would allow other scheduled trains to pass while they are recoveing bodies?

I didn't think so until I realised TIT!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jollyhangmon said:

... yes, sounds good but very slow process, been there & done that back home in the 1990s.

It's expensive to upgrade these crossings, so is later maintenance, the only safe way is to go above or below, just like with a real highway a.k.a. Autobahn, now we talking about really effin' expensive ...

First of all - again from experience - the sheer number of crossings will need to be cut and the remaining ones sized up and made safer technically ...

Btw., I suppose the trains have to slow down at this spot as well as lots of others anyway, by schedule, due to 'low safety standard' at these crossings ... underpasses sound good, yes, but aside of costs might be flooded half the time in these here lands ... 

ARE there any signs at the sides of the tracks to tell train drivers to SLOW DOWN ??

bet that there ARE NONE.......!!

"There has been little improvement despite safety campaigns over the years"

Please tell me which one?

Do you mean they showing now a movie at the office, before you'll get your driverlicense where anybody fell in sleep?

Or there are on television?

Or do you mean at the primary schools?

Or you will be fined if you commit a violation in the traffic?, Do you mean 500 thb?

As far as I know, there is not only 1 safety campaign in this country.

Perhaps the government can start with the recommended present above, and not tomorrow but today!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

As reported in the local news, the bus was full of workers on their way to the temple to make merit. Apparently there was even a DJ onboard so maybe the reason why the crossing's loud, audible warning wasn't heard by the bus driver or anyone else onboard. Mrs NL reckons that being a tamboon bus, it probably would have been full-on party central onboard.

The crossing there has three tracks, two for non-stop, each-way traffic on the main line and a third one on the north side which extends from Bangkok to Chachoengsao and looks like maybe it was the original single-track line and the one normally used for freight trains? It also looks like this 'goods line' may be being rebuilt about 4 km east of the accident site so maybe why the freight strain was on the mainline? The next set of points where trains can be redirected across all three tracks is about 4 km west of the accident site.

The bus had already crossed the single track and was hit by the freight train on the main line. I would have thought that a level crossing that wide, maybe 25 m across and on a quite busy track would have had barriers. Maybe it will in the future.

The video clip does appear to show the amber flashing lights may not have been operating but the low resolution and filtering of the video may account for that. However, witnesses have been reported as saying the loud audible warning is working and was ringing at the time.

With regard to the train 'not stopping', it did stop but the driver, knowing the length of his consist would have made sure his last car was clear of the accident site.

RIP

WHY are there passengers on the train IF IT WAS a freight train ???

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, essox essox said:

ARE there any signs at the sides of the tracks to tell train drivers to SLOW DOWN ??

bet that there ARE NONE.......!!

... there could be but probably not if it's already included in (all) the trains 'schedule' - for lack of better expression - meaning the Vmax is already pre-defined for such spots or bends, or 'weaker' spots in the tracks superstructure scheduled for later repair, or stops and stations etc., etc. ... 

That's why the engineers need to have 'aquired knowledge of the way/tracks' before they're allowed to drive trains alone/without a 'local' pilot at any given stretch of their journey ...

• Like 1