Nevada mam got virus again. Bad news for vaccines and us.

Elkski

I think along with the 2 vaccine  companies halting testing in the last few days now a well documented case of a Nevada man getting  the virus twice.  

Basic points.  April first time, June  2nd.

Second infection much worse.

2 negative tests between

Strains so much different  scientists say could not have  mutated inside him.  His DNA confirms both test samples from same guy.   Just like I guessed a  single vaccine won't be the golden bullet .  This is the new normal. 

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30764-7/fulltext

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02506-y

Not unexpected for me.  I'm Not freaking out.  I'm sure there are more cases like this.  Just as so many TV virologists proclaim their are probably are many people who don't know they had the virus the first time or 2 nd.  

I think the main thing is it just means there won't ever be some willy wonka golden vaccine travel card that means much.  Global travel peak is past.   Get used to low tourist numbers Thailand! The sooner the better. 

6 hours ago, mjnaus said:

Please.... there have been like five documented, known instances where a second infection occurred. Still an extremely rare thing. Hardly anything to freak out about. Then again, freaking out about trivial stuff seems to be the norm these days...

I heard it's more like 25 so far, still a tiny drop in the ocean compared to the estimated 700 million plus cases worldwide.

No doubt there's already many more which have been missed due to it being a 'non issue' - I could rephrase that - the immune system working as it should in the vast majority of cases.

More time, more data, it's a 'fluid' situation.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

People get the flu.

Again and again, year after year.

Herd immunity does not exist for the flu.

There is no universal flu vaccin.

People get infected with flu over and over again.

Yeah, let's hope corona is different.

NOT

(only more deathly)

Edited by oldhippy

The important point conclusion to draw from this report is that there are different strains of Covid-19, which may require different vaccinations, and that new strains may develop, just like seasonal flu.  If governments insist on only allowing entry to those holding up-to-date Covid vaccination certificates for the current strain of virus that's doing the rounds, then they are in for a world of hurt.

I imagine those companies who produce and sell the vaccines will be happy though.....

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Regular flu mutates. Corona may or may not.

IMO governments may eventually have to face reality and stop lockdowns and start treating it like the flu.

Don't say stupid untrue things.  Its against the rules.  Lots of documentation of mutations  .  It's not even new news its been known for 9 months so its criminal you say such a statement. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/30/science/coronavirus-mutations.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1