After the horse has bolted: Warning signs and lights installed at horror crossing

webfact

After the horse has bolted: Warning signs and lights installed at horror crossing

4pm.jpg

Warning signs and flashing lights have been installed at the railway crossing where a freight train plowed into a bus on Sunday killing 18.

Daily News referred to a Thai proverb about surrounding the enclosure after the cow has disappeared.

Locking the stable door after the horse has bolted, in English language and culture.

The sign and lights were apparently ordered by the Muang Chachoengsao district chief Pratheuang Yookasem and put in place by the phu yai ban (village elder) in the Bang Toei area where the tragedy occurred.

4pm1.jpg

Daily News said that the driver of the freight train could see the bus - carrying merit makers going to a thot krathin ceremony at a nearby temple - at a distance of 100 meters.

He sounded his whistle and applied his brakes but the stopping distance of such a train would be 700 meters.

Thaivisa notes that while acting after the event is not peculiar to Thailand it has been a prevalent feature in safety matters in the kingdom in the modern era.

In other reports the Thai transport minister has also ordered all railway crossings to be fitted with warning devices.

Meanwhile, 77kaoded reported that they had spoken to a local person who lives by the train tracks.

They revealed that there were Ifact warnings in place at the crossing in both directions but they had never worked properly since they were installed four years ago. 

5pm.jpg

Pictures: 77kaoded

5pm1.jpg

Pictures: 77kaoded

5pm2.jpg

kd.jpg

Sources: Daily News | 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-10-15

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

seeing as the Thais laugh at the traffic signs, it would be more effective to stop them with a barrier

B69BE60B-A128-428A-B888-D7DD371A5F3C.jpeg

Just to amuse and educate yourself,go spend some time where these kind of barriers are installed

and count how many people (both cars and motorbikes)are going around them.

These are installed for a good reason but the safety aspect of them is nearly out weight by the danger they create.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, petermik said:

All that,s missing is a photoshoot with finger pointing....as they correctly point out why shut the stable door after the horse has bolted...better late than never I suppose but unless folk start obeying road signs and drive with caution at all times here nothing will ever change....:whistling:

We probably missed the fingerpoint photo somewhere along the way. Right on schedule...:coffee1:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jvs said:

Just to amuse and educate yourself,go spend some time where these kind of barriers are installed

and count how many people (both cars and motorbikes)are going around them.

These are installed for a good reason but the safety aspect of them is nearly out weight by the danger they create.

Its ridiculous to suggest that installing a barrier creates danger.. The danger is caused by the cretens who ignore the barriers/signs, not the hardware.

• Thanks 2

You cant ever defeat stupidity in any culture, although Thailand comes in the top percentile! 

We have freight railroads that run through our city. All have warning lights and bells, not all of them have barriers.

These trains can be a mile long, and do not stop on a dime, yet I've still seen people run the lights.

Back in the day when I was working in the UK I've seen people zig zag through the half barriers, with a passenger train hurtling towards them considerably faster than any freight train

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thaivisa notes that while acting after the event is not peculiar to Thailand it has been a prevalent feature in safety matters in the kingdom in the modern era.

I wonder how many other crossing are in a similar condition, waiting for an accident to change peoples perception of what's safe or not.

49 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Its ridiculous to suggest that installing a barrier creates danger.. The danger is caused by the cretens who ignore the barriers/signs, not the hardware.

That is your point of view but there is a sound reason for half barriers being installed.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Go on, tell us then!

It is to allow an escape route in cause you get caught in between closed barriers,hey it is a reason!

I did not make this up.

People have got caught in between,panicked and died.

Should be part of drivers training,nevermind the damage you do get off the tracks!!!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Warning signs and flashing lights have been installed at the railway crossing where a freight train plowed into a bus on Sunday killing 18.

Wasn't the Bus that Plowed into the Train?

The way this is written it means that the train was at fault. 

• Thanks 1

Thailand appears to suffer from 'Project Culture' something that is becoming prevalent in the UK. i.e. gain funds to build and install systems or buildings etc. but no funds for ongoing maintenance or repairs (which should be implemented and costed as part of the original project) i.e. business as usual is not altered or funded to include the repairs and maintenance of new systems, buildings etc. An example in the UK is my Local authority who gained millions of pounds of funding from the EU and the National Lottery to refurbish the dilapidated parks in the city then failed to repair or replant failed plantings and features so the park is now back to its dilapidated state.

2 hours ago, jvs said:

It is to allow an escape route in cause you get caught in between closed barriers,hey it is a reason!

I did not make this up.

Should be part of drivers training,nevermind the damage you do get off the tracks!!!

An escape route can be created on full width barrier systems by closing the approach side gate first, then after a suitable delay closing far side gate, thus allowing any vehicle on the tracks time to escape. If I remember rightly that's how they work in Udon Thani.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

An escape route can be created on full width barrier systems by closing the approach side gate first, then after a suitable delay closing far side gate, thus allowing any vehicle on the tracks time to escape. If I remember rightly that's how they work in Udon Thani.

So that is still a half barrier times two.Also a great way to try and squeeze thru like they are doing now.Not a fool proof system but then again what is?

A manned gate would be best if they can rely on the man that is.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jvs said:

So that is still a half barrier times two.Also a great way to try and squeeze thru like they are doing now.Not a fool proof system but then again what is?

A manned gate would be best if they can rely on the man that is.

Oh they will indeed still squeeze through if they can. I've seen then doing it, particularly motorcyclists. The one in Udon Thani is manned and he certainly has his work cut out. Fortunately it is not a very busy line.

Sadly, wherever there a level crossings, there will be accidents. And this applies worldwide of course. It's not only a Thailand problem by any stretch of the imagination.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai drivers in general don't bother obeying road signs and lights on busy city roads and intersections. What makes them think they will heed flashing lights and signs on a rural back-road?

• Like 2

Tarteso, thanks for that video, I saw that happen in Hua Hin 21 years ago, we got the bike

off the tracks when the train was only a few seconds from crossing at high speed.

Someone had to help the idiot guy off the tracks as he just sat between them

in a stupor, and would have been run over if the crowd of the rest of us had

not been there to help him.

Geezer

15 hours ago, jvs said:

I did not make this up.

I can see your point about an escape route, but no vehicle should ever be in that situation as the lights & bells start well before the barriers come down.

• Like 1