Police deployed in Ratchaprasong area amid planned protest, warn against ‘illegal’ assembly after 5pm

webfact

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

Khun Prayut Chan O Cha has extensive support from his colleagues within the military. He has always had support from various Thai representatives as well, and not forgetting his Thai civilian support which is millions. Not everyone in Thailand agrees with protests, roadblocks, anarchy, mayhem and lawlessness and so not everyone wants problems. Thailand has enough problems with the economy as it is, so protests certainly won't go down well with many Thais.

He will be in charge for many years to come. Lets hope so. 

Capture.khunprayut1.PNG.84626e67875c46df12a28302186e3d70.PNG

Are you hoping for a place on one of the convoys to the airport? You know, the ones which will start running a couple of hours after the conscripts start to disobey orders to fire on their peers?

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Might help if the military divided and went against the Regime controllers. I would bet the conscripts and many others in many armed forces branches agree and side with the students and Thais push. 

They already have. kings guard and Queens guard are in opposition to each other since 18 months ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nausea said:

It's all live on youtube. I'm staying out of it, not my fight. Can't say I'm surprised though. Like your young media aware Thai isn't exactly serf material. Taught them for a few years, most guys and gals were quite aware what was going on. You wouldn't believe the stuff that was circulated privately.

Yes, although I mainly teach primary, I have a few classes a week with secondary. They know exactly what is going on.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Funny how people equate wanting democracy in Thailand to wanting Thaksin back. Same kind of erroneous conflation when people assume you like Trump because you despise the CCP or how you must hate dogs ‘cos you prefer cats. 

It is good in a way, these '....but, but, Thaksin' entreaties. Shows that the fascists have nothing left and desperation is sinking in.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Strange how some people wish Thailand to be governed by Thaksin, a Trump like character, while at the same time wishing to get rid of Trump in their own country...go figure...

Many of us would be content for the country to be governed by those whom the people choose to govern them.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Sorry, no. The riots of 10 years ago did nothing to damage Thailand in any way, and nor did the closure of the main international airport. Both got world wide media coverage but, when it comes down to it, the world really doesn't give a rat's fart about an insignificant SE Asian nation that plays no part at all in world affairs.

I don't think so. In a cold war environment every country is important, small or big.

Google "Jakarta Methods", today's methods are more refined but goal is the same.

45 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Sorry, no. The riots of 10 years ago did nothing to damage Thailand in any way, and nor did the closure of the main international airport. Both got world wide media coverage but, when it comes down to it, the world really doesn't give a rat's fart about an insignificant SE Asian nation that plays no part at all in world affairs.

Well, true. Makes me grind my teeth thinking that strategy relies on western SJWs, but they got more important matters like yapping about cultural appropriation of native American belts to think about. 

Edited by DrTuner
arfh cowboys and indians..
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, steven100 said:

Any student out protesting after 4.00pm may run into trouble so it's best if they go home soon. 

Otherwise there may be water cannons or who knows. They've done ok up until now so don't push their luck & spoil it with violence.   

'They've done ok up until now'

Thank you for recognizing this.  Which of their demands do you approve of and how should they continue, bearing in mind no violence has started with them?

Now the protest leaders are telling the crowd to come back to Ratchaprasong every day at 5:00pm.

Not sure if that will happen, but if so it would be "deja vu all over again" for us in this area, we lived through it 6+ years ago.... there goes the neighborhood (yet again).

Rain is steadier now and I see more people leaving than arriving, so looks like it will start to wind down [EDIT: protest now ending], but still a big core group.

FWIW, there is a livestream with English translation on FB (unmentionable source) for those of us that don't speak Thai

Edited by eppic

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

10 years ago the "Belt and Road" was not featuring so dramatically in the minds of the "world".

10 years ago China had not built islands, or a base in Djibouti.

Outcome of present turbulence will decide which way this "domino" falls.

Try to keep up.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

They are covering themselves (but it would be fair to members to put a banner up saying this situation will not or cannot be covered)

However saying that there are much better mediums to follow this on(albeit with VPN)

26 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

With a handle like that you just have to be an ex BAOR squaddie, pleased to meet you ????????????

The old yellow suitcase! better than Padderborner, just and fondly remember running through a fog of fumes on a Monday morning. Come to think of it most morning's just worse on a Monday...

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, eppic said:

FWIW, there is a livestream with English translation on FB (unmentionable source) for those of us that don't speak Thai

Khaosod English has excellent live Facebook coverage. There is also Thisrupt and a few others.  If all of them drop out due to bad connections Thai PBS or Voice TV are alternatives. 

10 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Thank you for a true comment.

You folks on here really do dream sometimes, do you think anyone outside Thailand gives a rats a_se what happens in Thailand.....     well sorry to disappoint you but the truth is they don't ....   lol

Most worry about their own affairs and are not interested in a tiny place like Thailand.

Edited by steven100

9 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Thank you for a true comment.

You folks on here really do dream sometimes, do you think anyone outside Thailand gives a rats a_se what happens in Thailand.....     well sorry to disappoint you but the truth is they don't ....   lol

Most worry about their own affairs and are not interested in a tiny place like Thailand.

I would even go further and say that, contrary to the case of Hong Kong, no foreign country supports an uprising targeting the Thai government. 

• Like 2

I was just reading the local and see where more rally leaders have been arrested and also those involved in an incident Wednesday afternoon. 

Looks like the government won't tolerate this behavior and violence much longer.   

It'll all be over in no time ...... 

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

What is ever more strange, is when someone approves of army rule, regardless the incredible degree of incompetence shown, the baldfaced attempt to maintain control through a proxy appointed senate, the repressive tactics used, a total unwillingness to do anything to benefit the masses, and a desperate attempt to cling to power. Now, that is strange. The dinosaurs must go!

And be replaced with? 

In the past 20 years, what fundamental changes, other than political, have you noticed in Thailand between the times the army was in power and the times it was not?

Was the economy worse, the baht lower, the populace poorer, the freedom of movement lower? 

An outsider observing Thailand, without knowing who's in charge, would barely notice any difference between life in, say 2012 and 2018.

While I certainly not support army rule, I tend to be pragmatic rather than ideological. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

I would even go further and say that, contrary to the case of Hong Kong, no foreign country supports an uprising targeting the Thai government. 

And why's that? Because it's democratically elected Gov and Pm?  Hahaahah  Fantasist

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

what violence?, stop the wishful thinking the 'behavior' is just demands for social justice, democracy and freedoms the Thai people deserve, and despite the lies to the contrary they are not demanding any institution comes to an end, apart from your heroes career of course

not so sure as every video or pic I seen was demonstrators smashing barriers, wheelee bins being removed. I suspect if they protest peacefully it won't be cause for concern.  just saying.

We've seen this time & time again over the years as they tend to start off peaceful and then they turn. 

• Sad 3