A Smile Makes It All Right

PaulUSA302

At the weekend market, I was doing my bit to keep the economy strong and the Thai people working by doing some shopping. I searched high and low until I found what I was looking for. Well to be honest, I made a b-line to the first pair of camouflage shorts I saw and tried to find a pair that fit me.

I went from stack to stack trying to find a pair that would fit a 31" or a 32" waist. I looked and I looked but I was not finding my size. I asked one of the guys for assistance but he sent over an older lady. She came over but I was not getting a feeling of assistance from her. As she stood over me from the elevated platform, I felt the cold shadow of indifference... I felt as if she was looking at me as though I owed her a profitable transaction at that very moment and every second that passed beyond that point was me wasting her time.... Well that is how I summed it all up... From her voice, body language, stance and facial expression.

I asked for my size but she told me I was a 34" waist. I know my waist size and have been measured more times than I can count by other vendors on previous shopping events and my waist is 31" She took her measuring tape from around her neck, came down to were I was standing, wrapped the tape measure around my waist and announced "34!" She then pulled a pile of shorts and plucked from it the style of shorts I was looking for with an expectation for me to buy them.

I smiled and said no... I am 31" waist. She again told me "34".... I asked to borrow her tape measure and she smiled at me, pointed at my waist and said "Maybe I measure wrong, I do over belt is why." she then turned put the shorts back in order and walked away.

She was going to sucker me but the smile made it all better.

Have to agree though that at the weekend market you won't find many service sprankled vendors.

Prices are ridiculous and negotiating is almost impossible.

At least you got a smile!

woh you guys are harsh critics!

That argumentative insistance is something that I have experienced once or twice myself. Generally I just walk away, as i dont like challanging the situation. Good for you in sticking to your guns. If i have a similar situation again..i may well take that initiative instead of leaving the situation and feeling a bit frustrated for a while.

At the weekend market, I was doing my bit to keep the economy strong and the Thai people working by doing some shopping. I searched high and low until I found what I was looking for. Well to be honest, I made a b-line to the first pair of camouflage shorts I saw and tried to find a pair that fit me.

I went from stack to stack trying to find a pair that would fit a 31" or a 32" waist. I looked and I looked but I was not finding my size. I asked one of the guys for assistance but he sent over an older lady. She came over but I was not getting a feeling of assistance from her. As she stood over me from the elevated platform, I felt the cold shadow of indifference... I felt as if she was looking at me as though I owed her a profitable transaction at that very moment and every second that passed beyond that point was me wasting her time.... Well that is how I summed it all up... From her voice, body language, stance and facial expression.

I asked for my size but she told me I was a 34" waist. I know my waist size and have been measured more times than I can count by other vendors on previous shopping events and my waist is 31" She took her measuring tape from around her neck, came down to were I was standing, wrapped the tape measure around my waist and announced "34!" She then pulled a pile of shorts and plucked from it the style of shorts I was looking for with an expectation for me to buy them.

I smiled and said no... I am 31" waist. She again told me "34".... I asked to borrow her tape measure and she smiled at me, pointed at my waist and said "Maybe I measure wrong, I do over belt is why." she then turned put the shorts back in order and walked away.

She was going to sucker me but the smile made it all better.

You should rename your post "where to find camouflage shorts with a 31" waist". Sorry can't help.

woh you guys are harsh critics!

That argumentative insistance is something that I have experienced once or twice myself. Generally I just walk away, as i dont like challanging the situation. Good for you in sticking to your guns. If i have a similar situation again..i may well take that initiative instead of leaving the situation and feeling a bit frustrated for a while.

eek, if you had read as many of the OP's interesting little anecdotes as the rest of us have, you'd understand why most guys are acting in the way they are. Seriously, do a search for them. :D:D

OP, perhaps go to a shop or stall where they use the same, standardised tape measure as yourself? Or maybe just stop doing your bit for the Thai economy, since they obviously don't appreciate your valiant efforts on their behalf... :o

You are so trim. Wish I had your problem. Try buying larger size shorts if you want frustration.

I concur. I just fit into the x-large, though one tumble in the dryer on high and it is all over.

I can't believe I read this whole thread AND am replying.

btw. the best way to tell if shorts indeed fit you is to - with the button closed - wrap the waistband of the shorts around your neck. If it's snug around your neck, it will be snug around your waist.

I can't believe I read this thread

:o

I can't believe I read this thread and its replies!

Im with you guys but it's so riviting.

We have bad shorts, 31 waist, doing one's part for the poor country, mean Thai lady. It just does not get any better

Edit... crap! I forgot the smile.

Edited by Jeff1

I can't believe I read this thread

:o

I can't believe I read this thread and its replies!

Im with you guys but it's so riviting.

We have bad shorts, 31 waist, doing one's part for the poor country, mean Thai lady. It just does not get any better

Edit... crap! I forgot the smile.

It may be crap but it's our crap. You never know, stuff like this might sell a million copies one day. If you want real

crap , peruse some of the novels about BGs and farang heartaches on sale there.

Edited by qwertz

maybe the guy wanted to be felt up like chandler bing in the friends episode where the tailor did feel huim up.

in op defense, many a time ifeel thais want you to buy first and look later, i prefer the look first and then maybe i buy

Edited by blizzard

the best way to tell if shorts indeed fit you is to - with the button closed - wrap the waistband of the shorts around your neck. If it's snug around your neck, it will be snug around your waist.

That works for me wife, but my waist does not seem to have grown in proportion to my neck so this no longer works for me.

Can you believe this thread is now two pages long?

Edited by TokyoT