Impact of protests on THB vs Dollar & Sterling

19 minutes ago, Poet said:

My impression is that the markets have already factored in a Biden win, it won't make the dollar drop much.

Well, everyone thought Hillary was gonna win last time too. Thats the issue. Nobody can reliably predict what's going to happen. 

Im leaning towards doing a transfer wise soon, over the next few days when it looks like the dollar is strongest. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Actually the THB is getting stronger against Sterling,what is

it going to take,nothing seems to affect the THB,Amazing Thailand.

regards worgeordie

Yes, it appears the Baht is wearing Superman's cape, and remains unfazed by the economic decay, current political unrest, and lack of capital inflows.  The Baht is in a bubble of it's own it would appear as well.

• Like 2

With Brexit and record national debt due to an unwise COVID response - the GBP will fall significantly in my view.  Long term I believe the UK economy will recover, but we're looking at 5 years+.

I wouldn't write Trump off yet, but I don't think the election will have a huge impact whoever wins, as Trump's rhetoric has been fairly benign in the real world.

The Thai protest will weaken non-Chinese FDI, so again limited impact.

Gold is already high, so although a good way to ensure you don't lose everything in the event of a Zombie Apocalypse  it is unlikely to grow much more, and in the longer term will fall back to 2019 values.

So my view - get out of Stirling for a while.

Edited by Kinnock

2 hours ago, Poet said:

My impression is that the markets have already factored in a Biden win, it won't make the dollar drop much

If Biden wins the dollar will increase in value. It should be common knowledge that Trump favours a weak dollar

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Totally believable when the West is printing trillions of $ making their currencies worthless.

Sure, You got a really strong point there. Either you print money or you empty your coffers. All countries are struggling. However, I was very surprised over that the baht kept strong even before Covid-19. Now you can add military tactics from the government, protests and soon riots in the streets and no tourism to that.

As I give you a strong point, I am also very sceptic to how they are handling the currency and if everything really are above board. All persons who live in Thailand for a long time, many years, soon finds out that there is not much that is believable and really working in a by the book legal way. So, why would the currency and the BOT?

At least my US stocks have been climbing as of late and are back to over where they were prior to Covid.  Can not say the same for the money I moved here and put into a fixed deposit account.  On top of that my Bitcoin and altcoins are kind of stagnating as they have been all year.  If the Baht is such a stalwart currency then why are the interest rates for savings accounts and such so flippin low....

Just now, stament said:

WHOA!  Lots of debate on my post...  So do we see the THB moving much in the short-term say till the end of the year?

If the political status quo in Thailand is maintained, no. Still billions of THB to be moved into dollar/euro offshore accounts.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Barnabe said:

USD - short and medium term gains against major currencies because of all of the above; long term prospects very hard to determine, money printing like crazy but still the Deleted reserve currency 

The big unknown here is RMB, although my hunch is that long term it will make some substantial gains. 

Agreed!

1 hour ago, JusticeGB said:

If I could predict the future rates of any currency I would be a very rich man. My pensions come in during the month roughly half in the middle of the month and the rest at the end. I change my money when it comes in and don't gamble on rates just as I don't gamble on horses. 

Solid advice for OP, as you can see from the different answers here, no one knows.

8 hours ago, Matzzon said:

As you say, this is Thailand. The baht should have fallen long time ago, but seems to just gain instead. Unbelievable!

Only Thailand don't rule the world's forex markets, do they?

Nor are all the traders Thai.

Unbelievable how some posters seem to think Thailand controls and manipulates the world's currency markets! Often the same posters who like to pretend how superior their country is too 555!

• Confused 1