COVID-19 Insurance for 80+ year old retired American

I am hoping someone can help me. I apologize for not being a regular contributor before now. My father has lived with me in Thailand for 4 years now. He has been on a retirement visa. We are now in America (long story), but are very close to being able to return - All we lack is the insurance. He is retired military and on TriCare for Life. That is what we have used for the past few years in Thailand. It has the requisite insurance limits, but we have been unable to secure proof of insurance to the point that the Thai Consulate is satisfied. Does anyone has experience with getting a retirement visa using TriCare for Life as the insurance requirement? Also - we are fine with getting an insurance policy that satisfies the new requirement if I can find a company that will insure someone 80+. Perhaps Cigna Global? Anyone been able to get one with them and how did it go? Any other suggestions for a company that will insure him, or an insurance agent that can help me?

Any help at would be most welcome - Thanks so much!

Thanks! That is a hefty price to pay for the COVID-19 insurance, but it is what it is I suppose. I had never seen one for people of 80 years old, so this is helpful information indeed and I appreciate it. It is very difficult to get anyone from TriCare to sign this insurance form - I have tried every phone number and email address I have. We even drove to an Air Force base in our state and went to the TriCare office. No luck. I wonder if someone has used their TriCare for Life policy to get an OA visa? Thanks - 

On 10/23/2020 at 4:01 AM, khonkaenjason said:

Thanks! That is a hefty price to pay for the COVID-19 insurance, but it is what it is I suppose. I had never seen one for people of 80 years old, so this is helpful information indeed and I appreciate it. It is very difficult to get anyone from TriCare to sign this insurance form - I have tried every phone number and email address I have. We even drove to an Air Force base in our state and went to the TriCare office. No luck. I wonder if someone has used their TriCare for Life policy to get an OA visa? Thanks - 

The 100.000 US $ is NOT the insurance fee, but the minimum amount the covid-19 insurance would cover.  When using the TGIA covid-19 insurance provided by TIP there is no age restriction, so would be easy to get that one.

Note: If TriCare also covers covid-19 for that amount, there is no need to subscribe to the TIP covid-19 insurance.

Re the Non Imm O-A compliant health-insurance, it might be useful to contact the Thai Embassy/Consulate.  The Thai insurance-policies are not available for those over 75 years of age, so the Embassy/Consulate will probably have experience with applicants over that age and provide info on how they met the requirement.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2020 at 9:15 AM, ubonjoe said:

I think they are scared away by what is written on it where is says directors to sign it. About anybody can sign it and it will be accepted it is stamped to say they are with TriCare.

If you manage to get the visa using TriCare it will be a problem later to apply for a extension of stay since immigration will only accept insurance from a Thai company.

I have insurance for life from Anthem Blue cross(78) , it is not a Thai company Is

it time to get out?

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Note: If TriCare also covers covid-19 for that amount, there is no need to subscribe to the TIP covid-19 insurance.

It's a given that TriCare covers covid-19 as any other us-based insurance company does.

The challenge is to make them write a coverage description letter stating that they do cover Covid-19.

That is a virtually impossible task.

That's right, all of them will tell you that they cover Covid up to the maximum policy limit but will refuse to write it down. No matter what.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, muffy said:

I have insurance for life from Anthem Blue cross(78) , it is not a Thai company Is

it time to get out?

Whatever you do, DO NOT opt out of your current insurance policy.  At your age (78) it would be very difficult (as good as impossible) to find an insurer that will accept you for better conditions than you presently have.

And of course doing so to switch to a THAI insurer is a Triple Red Warning NO and close to insanity.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, unheard said:

It's a given that TriCare covers covid-19 as any other us-based insurance company does.

The challenge is to make them write a coverage description letter stating that they do cover Covid-19.

That's right, all of them will tell you that they cover Covid up to the maximum policy limit but will refuse to write it down. No matter what.

Hey Unheard;

This is very true. I know for a fact that his TriCare for Life covers COVID, but to this point there has been no way to even prove it. There is no longer even an ID card for TriCare for Life recipients - they simply use their military ID - That one really trips up the Thai authorities. I don't really want to have to purchase him a separate insurance policy just to satisfy the requirements, but we will if this goes on much longer. To someone who asked earlier: We are getting dad a new non-OA visa - hence the need for the 400,000 inpatient and 40,000 outpatient coverage. Again, TriCare works, but I can't prove it yet. Also, need COVID coverage. For me, I have the Elite Visa and have my COE already - we are just waiting on dad's insurance...

As a side note - I will say that I am very impressed with the Los Angeles Thai Consulate - always have been in my 20+ years of dealing with them. They call me several times a week to give updates and ask how we are coming with the paperwork. When I need a new link to their website to upload new documents, I just send a text message and I get the link within minutes. I am very appreciative of their service, as I know many other consulates around the world have less than stellar service. 

Wish us luck - 

17 hours ago, unheard said:

There are several reports of successful applications for the Non Imm O-A Visa where applicants were able to have their foreign/international insurer fill-in/sign the FIC and where granted the Non Imm O-A Visa on application at the Thai Embassy/Consulate of their home-country. 

So it is by no means 'impossible'.

But it will of course be of great help when you have a good personal relationship with your insurance rep, so that you can explain him/her the need for that document and he.she can do the necessary.

Otherwise it will indeed be somewhat of a Mission Impossible.

20 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Whatever you do, DO NOT opt out of your current insurance policy.  At your age (78) it would be very difficult (as good as impossible) to find an insurer that will accept you for better conditions than you presently have.

And of course doing so to switch to a THAI insurer is a Triple Red Warning NO and close to insanity.

It would in fact be impossible as the Thai companies will not  newly insure past 75.

• Like 1

I know Tricare covers covid you could look it up on their website.   They will not give you a letter and the American Embassy has done nothing to help us.  I am also covered by Tricare for Life.  You need to get insurance from one of the Thai companies they have listed to cover you  for an O/A visa or get a new visa type O for retirement or marriage to get out of having the insurance.  Being 80 your father will have a hard time getting insurance but if he must get the cheapest with the max discounts.

13 hours ago, khonkaenjason said:

We are getting dad a new non-OA visa - hence the need for the 400,000 inpatient and 40,000 outpatient coverage. Again, TriCare works, but I can't prove it yet. Also, need COVID coverage.

As your father is 80+ it will not be possible to get him a Thai policy.

Best would be to get the necessary documentation from Tricare to establish that he has cover which more than meets the 400/40 requirement and COVID requirement (same policy can meet both, does not need to be 2 separate policies).

Should that be impossible then best bet is probably Cigna Global (not Cigna US). Either their Silver Plan or Close Care. However including outpatient cover will be extremely expensive, even with a large deductible.  https://www.cignaglobal.com/international-medical-insurance

you might try discussing with the Thai Consulate if you can't get the certificate signed by Tricare. Some Consulates have accepted other documents in lieu of the certificate (but of course they will need something in writing to look at) and they may know something about Tricare.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 9:01 AM, khonkaenjason said:

Maybe try the constituent service office of your state or federal level member of Congress or state legislature. Maybe ask on some VFW Facebook groups. They may be able to steer you to the right place. 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

On 10/23/2020 at 7:15 AM, ubonjoe said:

For $100k baht insurance for covid 19 required to apply for a certificate of entry this company will do the insurance up to 99 years old. See: https://covid19.tgia.org/

For the insurance coverage to apply for a OA visa application at the embassy or one of the 3 official consulate his TriCare would be accepted if you can get them to sign the certificate of insurance. 

https://longstay.tgia.org/document/overseas_insurance_certificate.pdf

I have US insurance here ,and use it here .Are you required to have thai insurance?

7 minutes ago, muffy said:

I have US insurance here ,and use it here .Are you required to have thai insurance?

If applying for a OA visa at a embassy or consulate it would be accepted if it meets the requirements and you can get the foreign insurance certificate signed it would be accepted for the health insurance to apply.

For covid 19 insurance to get a certificate of entry it would have to state it covers it and have at least $100,000 coverage.

If applying for a extension of stay for a entry from a OA visa it would have to be insurance from a Thai insurance company.

• Like 1

It does often seems that meeting the various requirements is only part of the problem and providing adequate proof can be just as difficult.

In my own case I'm going to need to look at how the requirements affect me. My wife works in part of the Ministry of Labour and has her healthcare covered which extends to me. I don't know if that's sufficient although my wife feels it is however I'm not sure how to prove it. Maybe something to prove her employment might suffice along with the marriage certificate. I do have a card in my wallet that apparently shows my entitlement.

I'd never translated it so I've just done that with Google. I'm glad to report that according to Google it doesn't say 'Do not Resuscitate'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kimamey said:

It does often seems that meeting the various requirements is only part of the problem and providing adequate proof can be just as difficult.

Absolutely correct, the main problem often being to have the evidence of meeting the requirements accepted by the officer that is handling your application.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kimamey said:

Are you applying for extension of a OA visa entry based upon retirement? That is the only extension that requires proof of insurance.

Your local immigration office is about the only place that can answer your question about the health care coverage you have now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kimamey said:

In my own case I'm going to need to look at how the requirements affect me. My wife works in part of the Ministry of Labour and has her healthcare covered which extends to me. I don't know if that's sufficient although my wife feels it is however I'm not sure how to prove it. Maybe something to prove her employment might suffice along with the marriage certificate. I do have a card in my wallet that apparently shows my entitlement.

I'd never translated it so I've just done that with Google. I'm glad to report that according to Google it doesn't say 'Do not Resuscitate'.

If you are required to have insurance -- necessary only if you entered =in an O-A visa and seeking to extend by reason of retirement -- they do not accept coverage under Thai Social Security or Thai Civil Service SS (which is what you are describing). They logically should, but the regulation makes no provision for it and no exception to the requirement for private insurance.

However as you are married to a Thai, even if your original visa was O-A, you can get around this by extending in basis of marriage rather than retirement.

If your original visa was O and not O-A (as is true for most of us) then the issue does nto even arise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If you are required to have insurance -- necessary only if you entered =in an O-A visa and seeking to extend by reason of retirement -- they do not accept coverage under Thai Social Security or Thai Civil Service SS (which is what you are describing). They logically should, but the regulation makes no provision for it and no exception to the requirement for private insurance.

However as you are married to a Thai, even if your original visa was O-A, you can get around this by extending in basis of marriage rather than retirement.

If your original visa was O and not O-A (as is true for most of us) then the issue does nto even arise.

As I've meetings in my reply to Ubonjoe in in the UK at the moment.  My fault as I should have said. Thanks for your your information about the Thai Civil Service SS as I've not seen it mentioned before. It would be helpful if it were possible to obtain cover just for Covid19 as that's all I'd need.  We'll logically anyway. 

As I won't be returning soon I'll just find out what I can and then update things as they change which I expect they will. 

1 hour ago, kimamey said:

As I've meetings in my reply to Ubonjoe in in the UK at the moment.  My fault as I should have said. Thanks for your your information about the Thai Civil Service SS as I've not seen it mentioned before. It would be helpful if it were possible to obtain cover just for Covid19 as that's all I'd need.  We'll logically anyway. 

As I won't be returning soon I'll just find out what I can and then update things as they change which I expect they will. 

you can certainly get a COVID only policy but they often cost more than more comprehensive travel insurance.

if you are under 69, this  policy has been recommended by other TV members  https://safetywing.com/nomad-insurance

If over 69 then one of these policies  https://covid19.tgia.org/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

you can certainly get a COVID only policy but they often cost more than more comprehensive travel insurance.

if you are under 69, this  policy has been recommended by other TV members  https://safetywing.com/nomad-insurance

If over 69 then one of these policies  https://covid19.tgia.org/

I did think that might be the problem even if it doesn't make sense. I'm 66 so I'll check out your link

On 10/24/2020 at 3:57 PM, Peter Denis said:

Won't and can't op out paid by LA ,part of  pension

a