Non-Phuket natives asked to change registered address to Phuket to boost island budgets

webfact

Non-Phuket natives asked to change registered address to Phuket to boost island budgets

By The Phuket News

1603769533_1-org.jpg

Phuket Governor Narong Woonciew at the meeting yesterday (Oct 26). Photo: PR Phuket

PHUKET: Phuket Governor Narong Woonciew has called for people from other provinces who live and work on the island to officially change their registered address to Phuket in order to boost budgets approved to improve the island’s infrastructure.

Governor Narong called for the change at a meeting held at Phuket Provincial Hall yesterday (Oct 26), joined by Vice Governor Phichet Panaphong and relevant officers.  

Governor Narong explained that the simple administrative change to people’s identification cards would not only help officials keep accurate records of how many people actually live on the island, but also boost budgets allocated from the central government to carry out local infrastructure projects.

Source: https://www.thephuketnews.com/non-phuket-natives-asked-to-change-registered-address-to-phuket-to-boost-island-budgets-77777.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-10-27

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So someone in a seasonal job from some other area has to go through the hassle of getting a new I.d card to keep this guy happy ? Just so he can falsely claim the numbers of permanent residents has risen on the island to con the government out of money to be used for so called upgrades and projects ????

Sounds similar to road project in samui, seems to be ongoing for last 8 years and at times machines I assume on hire sit doing nothing for two months , while for some unexplained reason they go and start another section kilometres away before completing the area they are doing . People are getting rich for sure from these projects .

• Haha 1

Don't they need to be added to a local tabien baan (house book) in order to be registered in Phuket?

Thais are normally registered in the house book associated with a house that they or a family member own in their home province. Since most working in Phuket are renting rooms, the landlord would need to add them to his house book, and most landlords are reluctant to do this.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

For those posters with comprehension difficulties, the Gov is not asking people elsewhere to register in Phuket.  He wants the 100,000s who live permanently on the Island, but remain registered in their home towns elsewhere, to register where they actually live and use the infrastructure. Phuket's official population numbers are way below the actual, resulting in lower budget grants. 

In my experience Thais usually don't bother to change until they find they want to vote in local elections or use the 30 baht scheme at the government hospital.

(Covid has obviously changed the figures somewhat)

The reality is that most living and working permanently in Phuket, are not able to change their registration unless they, a family member or a close friend own the home in which they're living due to the tabien baan issue I described above. This was certainly the case for my Thai daughter and son in law when they lived and worked in Phuket. Landlords understandably don't want the hassles associated with maintaining the names of tenants in their tabien baan.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DrDave said:

The reality is that most living and working permanently in Phuket, are not able to change their registration unless they, a family member or a close friend own the home in which they're living due to the tabien baan issue I described above. This was certainly the case for my Thai daughter and son in law when they lived and worked in Phuket. Landlords understandably don't want the hassles associated with maintaining the names of tenants in their tabien baan.

Yes, I know what you mean about landlords. But there is no hassle or downside to allow tenants to register on their rental home tabian baan, we have plenty Thais register on our house papers.  No down side at all.

I did backfire on some I know who have lived here for years one family I know had gone back to Nakorn nowhere and could not get back to Phuket after the lockdown because they couldn't prove they lived here, 

Most of the migrant workers left the island they say around 50,000 left the island