Phuket: Bike riding foreigner loses life in u-turn collision

webfact

Bike riding foreigner loses life in u-turn collision

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1604382073_1-org.jpg

The scene of the accident that occurred earlier today (Nov 3). Photo: Ple Songkhla Thangyangklai

PHUKET: A collision between a Harley Davidson big bike and a truck early this morning (Nov 3) has resulted in a foreign man losing his life.

The collision occurred in front of the Thalang branch of the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC) on Thepkrasattri Rd just after midnight.

Capt Wichit Nokkaew of the Thalang Police was called to the scene at approximately 12:10am and was joined shortly afterwards by emergency services workers from Thalang Hospital and Kusoldharm rescue workers.

Source: https://www.thephuketnews.com/bike-riding-foreigner-loses-life-in-u-turn-collision-77864.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-11-03

• Sad 2

22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Another fatality at a U-Turn.

The truck seems to have lights on the side and the road was lit. 

But, the road was also wet. Pure speculation, too fast in the wet? ... I wonder if the deceased had had a few beers, the time was 12:10am.

The road also looks very ’shiny’... not much grip for breaking in the wet either.

Tragically, these U-Turns take so many lives...

Yes, few beers, speeding. He was a 54 year old Aussie.

Just had someone on the other thread saying that is something only Thais do. 

F73348B1-EAB0-4177-9FDC-3EDDD11941B1.jpeg

4D35BC05-431B-482B-9197-207EE40AC157.jpeg

817CFFC2-B68D-436F-B9AC-CC662E60448A.jpeg

51 minutes ago, piewarmer said:

Looks like the Harley was doing the u-turn, possibly tried to beat the truck and came unstuck on the wet road,

years ago, a car rear ended my 750 when I was stopped waiting to turn across traffic in the wet ..in my case the oncoming semi managed to stop in time

I will never forget looking up from the road at the huge bull-bar above me

sorry for the rider and his loved ones.

Very little damage to bike and it travelled a while on the verge before stopping.

How about:

Truck had nearly completed U-turn and rider, without slowing down, was looking to get round the rear of it (as many road users do) clipped truck with left bar, went out of control and onto the verge? 

I did that (on the nearside of truck, right bar) when I was 21, on my T200.

Or he just went too far to the right and and hit the kerb?

The uncomfortable implication, for some, of this version, is that the well-lit truck was well into a plainly visible, correctly executed manoeuvre, the rider saw it in good time..........and got it wrong........like I did.

Edited by Enoon
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Seismic said:

Sorry, That is nonsense here in Thailand. Take a trip down Bang Na Trad road sometime, you U-turn from 'fast' lane to 'fast' lane on a three lane per side dual carriageway. I have seen so much white paint at these U-Turns that I thought of opening a paint shop!

every U-turn is from fast lane to fast lane, what has that to do with Thailand? Blame the Americans who invented that <deleted>.

15 hours ago, bodga said:

Note the way these atrocious lorry  drivers  drive,  pulling out to take up two  lanes to turn when it really often is not necessary,  just  like  pick up drivers turning into any left turn road, they  pull  out into the far right to do it,  too  lazy to  fully  turn the wheel, they cant drive for toffee. They cant even pass each other on a 3  lane  road without taking 1.5  lanes to do it.

Yes....don't turn the wheel.....they mostly all do it and it's taken some to change the wifes habit

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Who was doing the U-turn, bike or truck ?

From the linked article -

From the initial investigation, police were informed that the truck was u-turning when the bike, travelling at high speed, hit the truck which resulted in the fatal collision.

19 hours ago, Pilotman said:

U turns are fine and not inherently unsafe, but only if people drive and ride with common sense.  Unfortunately, all to often, they don't do so. 

Is there anywhere else in the world that people can be driving along in the fast lane and suddenly come upon vehicles stopped in that lane because they are queuing to make a U-turn? And you say that isn't unsafe? Maybe you come from Tunisia, the only country in the entire world with a worse road fatality rate.

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Another fatality at a U-Turn.

The truck seems to have lights on the side and the road was lit. 

But, the road was also wet. Pure speculation, too fast in the wet? ... I wonder if the deceased had had a few beers, the time was 12:10am.

The road also looks very ’shiny’... not much grip for breaking in the wet either.

Tragically, these U-Turns take so many lives...

......and the stupidity of driving big bikes and feeling as "Easy Riders " combined with drinking..... 

will obviously never end ????