VPN on router

AlfHuy

it does seem to be down to the type of VPN you have.  I use Nord VPN, and I bypass the router completely streaming from my laptop to the smart TV.  You can always access the router on your laptop and adjust the settings, but you can add the app also onto your smart TV as well.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

and then enter in your VPN service's user ID, password and server address.

That's the part I don't like, change servers all the time, as I access content from many countries, and use "specialty servers". And my wife and nine year old daughter use their own servers too. So definitely not an option for me. 

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You don't always need a router on which you can install VPN software yourself...

Some commercial router models, especially those from ASUS and some others, come with built-in PPTP, L2TP and OpenVPN clients built into their firmware.

So if you have that kind of a router, you just go into the settings, create a VPN connection profile with the protocol of your choice, and then enter in your VPN service's user ID, password and server address.

That approach AFAIK is only going to work with your own model of certain router brands. AFAIK, none of the standard routers handed out by the various Thai ISP companies have built-in VPN clients or any ability to add them to their firmware.

So to use that approach, assuming you have your own VPN enabled router, you'll need to daisy chain it to your Thai ISP router... Meaning connect an ethernet cable from one of the LAN out ports on the Thai ISP router into the WAN in port of your VPN router... And then set the VPN router to function on a different IP subnet, meaning setting its address to something like 192.168.2.1, instead of say the Thai ISP router that may be set to 192.168.1.1, in order to avoid conflict between the two.

yes, BUT:  routers connecting over VPN don't offer much bandwidth, due to the usually light processor they are equipped with. it's not enough to encrypt/decrypt the traffic at full speed, not even for a single client.

and... does anyone know why Windows doesn't offer an OpenVPN client, and why EDGE can't connect using openVPN's socket with openVPN client?

Edited by tgw

1 minute ago, tgw said:

yes, BUT:  routers connecting over VPN don't offer much bandwidth, due to the usually light processor they are equipped with. it's not enough to encrypt/decrypt the traffic at full speed, not even for a single client.

and... does anyone know why Windows doesn't offer an OpenVPN client, and why EDGE can't connect using openVPN's socket with openVPN client?

I can get up to 100 Mbps or more on my VPN connections to the U.S. off a TH 3BB 1 GB fiber line, using my ASUS router with either the PPTP or L2TP protocols. They are lighter on encryption, so have faster throughput generally speaking, whereas using the OpenVPN protocol via the router will tend to constrain the speeds more, because of more encryption is used.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I can get up to 100 Mbps or more on my VPN connections to the U.S. off a TH 3BB 1 GB fiber line, using my ASUS router with either the PPTP or L2TP protocols. They are lighter on encryption, so have faster throughput generally speaking, whereas using the OpenVPN protocol via the router will tend to constrain the speeds more, because of more encryption is used.

what router do you have?

• Like 1

Just now, Susco said:

Why you think Windows has no Openvpn client

https://openvpn.net/client-connect-vpn-for-windows/

My Windows VPN app supports openvpn protocol and installs the TAP adapter

I meant native windows.

I have that openVPN client too, but EDGE can't use its socket.

I wonder what other Windows components snitch. It's not the way VPN is supposed to work.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tgw said:

I meant native windows.

I have that openVPN client too, but EDGE can't use its socket.

I wonder what other Windows components snitch. It's not the way VPN is supposed to work.

Sorry but I still understand your question.

The client is for all versions of windows from 7 > 10 as is the TAP driver.

My VPN has a windows app, in which I can select the Openvpn protocol. I don't have edge, but I assume every browser I use will go through the VPN, not?

38 minutes ago, Susco said:

Sorry but I still understand your question.

The client is for all versions of windows from 7 > 10 as is the TAP driver.

My VPN has a windows app, in which I can select the Openvpn protocol. I don't have edge, but I assume every browser I use will go through the VPN, not?

and here is the scoop: nope.

if you open and connect your openVPN client and then open EDGE and check your IP address in EDGE, it will give you your usual local public IP address, not the VPN's address.

Windows bypasses the VPN connection, so it absolutely cannot be trusted, all VPN connections must be done by the router if you want confidentiality.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I put a ASUS RT-AC68U router behind a TMN cable fiber optic router which is connected to the internet, so that I can use Nord VPN for all the household clients, and also for other benefits. The ASUS subnet (mask 255.255.255.0) LAN IP is set to 192.168.2.1 and TMN router is set to 192.168.1.1. In the ASUS network map, it shows internet WAN ip at 192.168.1.132 and DDNS is GO.  In ASUS VPN it has a checkmark beside the selected country. In ASUS network tools, I was able to ping www.google.com successfully, no lost packets. ASUS Clients have a dedicated manually assigned ip address like 192.168.2.101. Clients connecting directly to the TMN router have internet access. ASUS IPV6 is set to native.

Basic problem is that Clients can connect to the ASUS router but can't get out to the internet. What needs to change so ASUS clients can get to the internet?

Edited by Banana7

1 hour ago, Banana7 said:

I put a ASUS RT-AC68U router behind a TMN cable fiber optic router which is connected to the internet, so that I can use Nord VPN for all the household clients, and also for other benefits. The ASUS subnet (mask 255.255.255.0) LAN IP is set to 192.168.2.1 and TMN router is set to 192.168.1.1. In the ASUS network map, it shows internet WAN ip at 192.168.1.132 and DDNS is GO.  In ASUS VPN it has a checkmark beside the selected country. In ASUS network tools, I was able to ping www.google.com successfully, no lost packets. ASUS Clients have a dedicated manually assigned ip address like 192.168.2.101. Clients connecting directly to the TMN router have internet access. ASUS IPV6 is set to native.

Basic problem is that Clients can connect to the ASUS router but can't get out to the internet. What needs to change so ASUS clients can get to the internet?

I have similar setup using a  RT-AC86U , asus ipv6 is set to passthrough

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

I set ipv6 to passthrough. Still no luck for clients to access internet. Any other recommendations?

is the  ASUS subnet (mask 255.255.255.0)  the same size subnet mask on your TMN cable fiber optic router

Your TMN router is set to 192.168.1.1. but the asus router has set the wan ip address of internet at 192.168.1.132 

are the ip address on your TMN router between 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.131 already used by something else

My asus router ip address is 192.168.2.1  asus wan address is 192.168.1.2

3bb router 192.168.1.1  ddns is go  operation mode is wireless router ethernet cable from wan port of asus router to ethernet port on 3bb router seperate ssid for asus router so client can connect to either asus router or 3bb router

On the 1st page of the asus config you should have 

a globe icon with Internet status and underneath should be connected next line is wan address in my case 192.168.1.2 and then underneath that DDNS GO

When you say LAN IP is set to 192.168.2.1  do you mean this is the ip address of your asus router

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

I set ipv6 to passthrough. Still no luck for clients to access internet. Any other recommendations?

On mine, under the WAN / Internet connection tab on the ASUS router... You'd want:

--WAN connection type set to PPPOE

--YES for Get the WAN IP automatically

--YES for Connect to DNS Server automatically

Under the LAN / LAN IP address tab

--you want the IP address entry to be the alternate subnet IP from your ISP's router, like the example of 192.168.2.1

--All the VPN related settings set to ENABLE under the WAN - NAT Passthrough tab.

--Leave blank the fields under the DNS and WINS Server Setting tab on the LAN - DHCP Server tab.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

is the  ASUS subnet (mask 255.255.255.0)  the same size subnet mask on your TMN cable fiber optic router

Your TMN router is set to 192.168.1.1. but the asus router has set the wan ip address of internet at 192.168.1.132 

are the ip address on your TMN router between 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.131 already used by something else

My asus router ip address is 192.168.2.1  asus wan address is 192.168.1.2

3bb router 192.168.1.1  ddns is go  operation mode is wireless router ethernet cable from wan port of asus router to ethernet port on 3bb router seperate ssid for asus router so client can connect to either asus router or 3bb router

On the 1st page of the asus config you should have 

a globe icon with Internet status and underneath should be connected next line is wan address in my case 192.168.1.2 and then underneath that DDNS GO

When you say LAN IP is set to 192.168.2.1  do you mean this is the ip address of your asus router

I have attached a Word document showing Asus router setting screens and couple from the TMN fiber modem/router. This way the facts are clear. Your help is sincerely appreciated.

ASUSrouterSetup.docx

3 hours ago, onthedarkside said:

On mine, under the WAN / Internet connection tab on the ASUS router... You'd want:

--WAN connection type set to PPPOE

--YES for Get the WAN IP automatically

--YES for Connect to DNS Server automatically

Under the LAN / LAN IP address tab

--you want the IP address entry to be the alternate subnet IP from your ISP's router, like the example of 192.168.2.1

--All the VPN related settings set to ENABLE under the WAN - NAT Passthrough tab.

--Leave blank the fields under the DNS and WINS Server Setting tab on the LAN - DHCP Server tab.

I tried these settings but still no internet for ASUS clients. In the above post I attached a file showing the ASUS settings. I appreciate your help.

5 hours ago, Banana7 said:

I have attached a Word document showing Asus router setting screens and couple from the TMN fiber modem/router. This way the facts are clear. Your help is sincerely appreciated.

ASUSrouterSetup.docx 1.28 MB · 1 download

Your Asus router settings are the same as mine with one execption

On the Lan -DHCP Server Enable Manual Assignment your setting is set to yes mine is set to no

Also worth checking on your TMN router for 

1) VPN Passthrough enabled

7 hours ago, Banana7 said:

ASUSrouterSetup.docx 1.28 MB · 1 download

What I not see in this document is the settings for the VPN Client setup! I am missing something?

I use the ASUS RT-AC88U Router and I setup my VPN Client on my router that it uses the VPN only for certain services (For example when I use a IPTV service, then this have to go by VPN).
But I have the ASUS Merlin Software on my Router, because this was at that time the better solutions with the better options for me.

4 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Your Asus router settings are the same as mine with one execption

On the Lan -DHCP Server Enable Manual Assignment your setting is set to yes mine is set to no

Also worth checking on your TMN router for 

1) VPN Passthrough enabled

There is no VPN passthrough on the TMN router. Which ISP do you have and what router ISP router/modem do you have?

5 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

There is no VPN passthrough on the TMN router. Which ISP do you have and what router ISP router/modem do you have?

3bb fiberhome hg6245n fibre router 4 gig ethernet ports 6  antenna wifi 6 , 3bb does offer HBO GO and MONO Max movies for  39 baht per month

be aware the HBO go app is region restricted so if you run the app from your TV the TV needs to be connected to a router that is located in Thailand

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HampiK said:

What I not see in this document is the settings for the VPN Client setup! I am missing something?

I use the ASUS RT-AC88U Router and I setup my VPN Client on my router that it uses the VPN only for certain services (For example when I use a IPTV service, then this have to go by VPN).
But I have the ASUS Merlin Software on my Router, because this was at that time the better solutions with the better options for me.

I didn't show the VPN client page because there really isn't anything to setup, just attach/load files from the VPN provider. But here is the VPN client page for your review and comment.

ASUSvpn.png

On my 3bb router I disabled vpn passthrough and the clients on the Asus router can still access the internet

On my 3bb router I checked the BroadBand Settings » Internet Settings NAT was enabled when I disabled NAT my Asus clients were no longer able to access the internet

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

On my 3bb router I disabled vpn passthrough and the clients on the Asus router can still access the internet

On my 3bb router I checked the BroadBand Settings » Internet Settings NAT was enabled when I disabled NAT my Asus clients were no longer able to access the internet

The TMN router user options are extremely limited, no passthrough option, no NAT option, only some firewall options. I imagine there is a ISP or Tech user login too, where all the more technical options are adjustable.

• Thanks 1