Forum upgrade in progress! ×

VPN on router

AlfHuy

On 11/6/2020 at 5:55 PM, vinny41 said:

I have similar setup using a  RT-AC86U , asus ipv6 is set to passthrough

On 11/6/2020 at 10:27 PM, onthedarkside said:

On mine, under the WAN / Internet connection tab on the ASUS router... You'd want:

guys I just wanted to query. With your set ups using effectively both routers at the same time I presume you do not have the modem/router set up as an access point. Does this cause any issues with what i think is called double NAT which could cause conflict?

It used to for me on an older router I had so I have had True change the router to an access point and the issues went away.

On 11/3/2020 at 9:41 PM, tgw said:

yes, BUT:  routers connecting over VPN don't offer much bandwidth, due to the usually light processor they are equipped with. it's not enough to encrypt/decrypt the traffic at full speed, not even for a single client.

and... does anyone know why Windows doesn't offer an OpenVPN client, and why EDGE can't connect using openVPN's socket with openVPN client?

Probably because Windows is the best operating system to use with a VPN as a good VPN will have multiple proxy servers that can be accessed in that country, as against Android that doesn't have proxy servers and version 10 still has security problems.

10 hours ago, topt said:

guys I just wanted to query. With your set ups using effectively both routers at the same time I presume you do not have the modem/router set up as an access point. Does this cause any issues with what i think is called double NAT which could cause conflict?

It used to for me on an older router I had so I have had True change the router to an access point and the issues went away.

Both of mine are running as router, not an access point.

The ASUS is now working. A new ASUS firmware version appeared on Nov. 5, which I loaded. Also I got the tech user id and password from TMN for the cable modem, which allowed all changes to the TMN router/modem.

If the ASUS router is used as an access point, many features are not available, like its firewall.

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Banana7 said:

If the ASUS router is used as an access point, many features are not available, like its firewall.

You misunderstood me. It would be the ISP supplied modem/router which would normally be set up as an access point in order to avoid double NAT.

On 11/3/2020 at 9:42 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

On my ASUS models, you can enter at least a half dozen different VPN profiles and store their settings in the router firmware. Then, when you want to change from one to another, it's just a matter of clicking "disconnect" and then "connect" to the newer one.

You also get the advantage that way of having two different concurrent wifi connections in your home -- the original Thai IP one coming from your ISP's router, and then your home country or other country chosen VPN IP. And they can co-exist together just fine, providing you use different subnets and set the wifi bands to different channels on each router.

Good for mixed Thai-farang households, where the TH spouse might want an ongoing TH wifi connection, but you might want an ongoing home country/VPN wifi connection.

Anyone with a bit of brains who plays around a lot with VPN or their router should just invest in a better ASUS router. I got one too and i love the router. So much better to configure.

Once you put the old one in a special mode for pass through (bridge mode). Then your new ASUS router will do all the work with its better processor and speed. It often helps you get a better connection too.

But you are advanced enough to know for others its a bit hard. The initial setup requires some password data and other stuff but once its done its much better.

17 hours ago, topt said:

You set it up as bridge then the other router does nothing more then to act as a receiver of the data stream and passes it to the new asus router who will be the one where all the setting up is done. So the first router does not even give off any data to computers. Only to the other router. So basically there is only one router active.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

You set it up as bridge then the other router does nothing more then to act as a receiver of the data stream and passes it to the new asus router who will be the one where all the setting up is done. So the first router does not even give off any data to computers. Only to the other router. So basically there is only one router active.

Ahh yes sorry I meant bridge not access point. Thank you. :sorry:

My original question still stands just substitute bridge for access.

8 minutes ago, topt said:

Ahh yes sorry I meant bridge not access point. Thank you. :sorry:

My original question still stands just substitute bridge for access.

My answer is still the same NO as the modem in bridge does nothing more then to transfer data (without giving IP's or doing anything) to the main router (ASUS in this example). The reason why you don't replace the router is that ASUS has no routers that do fiberoptic. Also sometimes the companies don't allow a complete change.

The router in bridge really does nothing it has no wifi it gives out no IP's it really does nothing so nothing goes double.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, robblok said:

My answer is still the same NO as the modem in bridge does nothing more then to transfer data (without giving IP's or doing anything) to the main router (ASUS in this example). The reason why you don't replace the router is that ASUS has no routers that do fiberoptic. Also sometimes the companies don't allow a complete change.

The router in bridge really does nothing it has no wifi it gives out no IP's it really does nothing so nothing goes double.

Would I be correct in thinking if you use Bridge mode and you require the asus router to simultaneous access a Thai region locked app and another country region locked app that you would require to do VPN split tunneling subject to the offerings that your VPN service offers on split tunneling.

My understanding is some vpn services offer VPN split tunneling at router level and some vpn services only offer limited split tunneling through the browser extension on the client device

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Would I be correct in thinking if you use Bridge mode and you require the asus router to simultaneous access a Thai region locked app and another country region locked app that you would require to do VPN split tunneling subject to the offerings that your VPN service offers on split tunneling.

My understanding is some vpn services offer VPN split tunneling at router level and some vpn services only offer limited split tunneling through the browser extension on the client device

If you want your device(s) to have simultaneous access to both local (LAN and local Internet services) and remote region locked Internet service by a pre-selected second application then, yes, you'll want to look for a VPN service that offers "Split Tunneling" solution. Some VPN vendors may offer this as router-based providing service to ALL subnetwork connected device clients or only on a device client by client basis [see Express VPN Split Tunneling].

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2020 at 9:42 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You also get the advantage that way of having two different concurrent wifi connections in your home -- the original Thai IP one coming from your ISP's router, and then your home country or other country chosen VPN IP. And they can co-exist together just fine, providing you use different subnets and set the wifi bands to different channels on each router.

Good for mixed Thai-farang households, where the TH spouse might want an ongoing TH wifi connection, but you might want an ongoing home country/VPN wifi connection.

9 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes I am well aware of that thanks which is what I said originally apart from confusing bridge and access.

Possibly the confusion is because I quoted the wrong members and should have been asking TallGuy above as he has his set up differently - IE not in bridge mode. And he explained how he had it set up to avoid conflicts so my question is probably redundant anyway.