Driver's License Renewal in Pranburi

NCC1701A

I just noticed both my car and motorcycle licenses expired in September. :shock1: Time flies when you are having a good time. :clap2:

Anyway it has been five years since I have had to do this. I know I need a letter from immigration and my passport.

What else do I need and what is the test like now in Pranburi?   

is there any downside to having expired licenses? 

Thank you very much for your total cooperation in his matter.

Edited by NCC1701A

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

You would be better off going to the Cha Am office. I always go there.

Since Cha-am is in a different province (compared with Pranburi), is the DLT there happy to accept renewal applications from people outside Petchaburi province? If so I think I'll renew there after my licence expires in a couple of months time.

34 minutes ago, mark5335 said:

Since Cha-am is in a different province (compared with Pranburi), is the DLT there happy to accept renewal applications from people outside Petchaburi province? If so I think I'll renew there after my licence expires in a couple of months time.

Yes, no problem, I live in Hua Hin myself and did it there a few weeks ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brayka said:

No problems in Pranburi but you need certificate of a doctor.

Not for renewing 5 year licences you don't Brayka. NCC1701A, all you need is a proof of address for each licence and your passport with a valid stamp in it as per this link. https://www.dlt.go.th/en/two-year-license/ Ignore the two year bit and read further down the link. And, you just have to sit through a pointless video before renewing. They only show the video at certain times so best to check up beforehand.

I renewed mine at Pranburi 2 days after expiry and got 6 years. You can also drive on an expired licence for up to 12 months without penalty.

As regards to Pranburi vs Cha Am, I've now used Pranburi 3 times and never had a problem whatsoever. Always had good and fairly speedy service there.

Edited by phartley58
Missed a word out
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, phartley58 said:

all you need is a proof of address for each licence and your passport with a valid stamp in it, and, you just have to sit through a pointless video before renewing. 

As regards to Pranburi vs Cha Am, I've now used Pranburi 3 times and never had a problem whatsoever. Always had good and fairly speedy service there.

No mention or requirement at DLT Pranburi to do the reaction / peripheral vision tests as well?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, siamike said:

All Land Transport offices are closed until further notice and police aren't checking individual licensees.   My local Land Transport office told me to continue using my expired licensee and to check this web page for updates: https://www.dlt.go.th/en/

When did they close them again? i renewed mine 2 mth ago ! Me thinks this is old info and they are all open. I went 1 mth ago to renew my road tax.

6 hours ago, Brayka said:

No problems in Pranburi but you need certificate of a doctor.

Same as everywhere... sometimes need medical, normally if a 5 year renewal not.. Here in Chonburi ( Banglamung) for renewing for the 3rd time ( 2 months ago ) 5 years DL had to look movie (45 mins )??????  No need COF since PR. For the rest the 3 little tests. Nothing else. The 1st time I renewed the 5 years one I was also late, (Issued in Bkk), no problem. Hope this helps. If not, maybe a little trip to Temple first. 555555

On 11/4/2020 at 2:22 PM, ukrules said:

Going after your birthday has the benefit of a longer license, almost an extra year.

Medical cert maybe needed unless you're renewing a 5 year license in which case it's not needed, not in Cha Am anyway.

Once it's expired more than a year there is additional testing.

Just out of curiosity, what additional testing ?

7 hours ago, siamike said:

All Land Transport offices are closed until further notice and police aren't checking individual licensees.   My local Land Transport office told me to continue using my expired licensee and to check this web page for updates: https://www.dlt.go.th/en/

That was a long time ago.... Now even if they are submerged, they make an appointment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

When did they close them again? i renewed mine 2 mth ago ! Me thinks this is old info and they are all open. I went 1 mth ago to renew my road tax.

The offices closed in March and I checked the Rayong office in mid May, which is when I was instructed to keep checking the web page I posted earlier.  Of course it would be so very typical of them to re-open and not bother to update their webpage.  It's also likely each Land Transportation office is making up their own rules.

5 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

Just out of curiosity, what additional testing ?

There's two levels of testing, a driving test where you need to drive the vehicle and a theory test.

I think the driving test kicks in after 1 year but the theory test isn't required until a longer period of time has passed - I can't remember how long it is, it might be 2, 3 or 5 years, it's longer than 1 year though.

On 11/3/2020 at 9:22 PM, ukrules said:

What type of color vision test do they do there? Standard traffic signal lights, or one of those large circles filled with color dots (Ishihara test) and ask you to identify the number?

22 minutes ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

What type of color vision test do they do there? Standard traffic signal lights, or one of those large circles filled with color dots (Ishihara test) and ask you to identify the number?

When I went in October it was the traffic light one only in Cha Am but they did have the large circle filled with dots - just didn't use it - not for me or anyone else who was there at the same time anyway.

Edited by ukrules

18 hours ago, ukrules said:

There's two levels of testing, a driving test where you need to drive the vehicle and a theory test.

I think the driving test kicks in after 1 year but the theory test isn't required until a longer period of time has passed - I can't remember how long it is, it might be 2, 3 or 5 years, it's longer than 1 year though.

I did both theoretical and practical test back in 2000, as I didn't convert my european into Th license. Since then never anything except the eye tests... And last time about 2 months ago look movie????

2 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

I did both theoretical and practical test back in 2000, as I didn't convert my european into Th license. Since then never anything except the eye tests... And last time about 2 months ago look movie????

Yeah, they only test again if you allow it to expire and don't renew for a number of years.

On 11/6/2020 at 10:07 AM, phartley58 said:

Not for renewing 5 year licences you don't Brayka. NCC1701A, all you need is a proof of address for each licence and your passport with a valid stamp in it as per this link. https://www.dlt.go.th/en/two-year-license/ Ignore the two year bit and read further down the link. And, you just have to sit through a pointless video before renewing. They only show the video at certain times so best to check up beforehand.

I renewed mine at Pranburi 2 days after expiry and got 6 years. You can also drive on an expired licence for up to 12 months without penalty.

No colour or depth perception tests?