Living the life as an expat in Thailand

webfact

5 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

I am not really a people person so not having a good command of the language I see as a plus.  if I want something at the hardware store or the cooks supply shop or the auto parts shop I can take a pix.  They all seem to know how to say "No Hab" when they don't have it.

I have a hard time learning foreign languages I use my phone with pictures of what I need and google translate 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, J Town said:

I highly suggest you don't burn this bridge. The majority of expats who grew weary of Thailand's quirks then moved to the P.I. lamented that decision. Do a search on that very topic here on TV.

Not burning any bridges, but I need a country that doesn't gouge me for every cent just to stay and take nothing out of the economy. Cambodia or Vietnam would be acceptable, but they have Covid-related policies that are not conducive to living, at the present time. Vietnam makes you leave after thirty days and Cambodia wants a 2000 dollar deposit to enter. Not going that route. I will wait for the Philippines to re-open.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunFred said:

Vietnam makes you leave after thirty days and Cambodia wants a 2000 dollar deposit to enter. Not going that route. I will wait for the Philippines to re-open.

Probably cheaper to enter Cambodia, than it is to enter Thailand.

And in Cambodia you might get the $2k back.

IMHO at the moment easiest is to just stay where you are.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

This topic goes around and around endlessly.

Thailand does have the 'bright shiny thing' about it, and that shine can wear off for many.

When we (I) decided to move from Singapore when I was getting ready to retire my wife said I'd be tired of it by 10 years.

She got it wrong by 11 months.

I already spoke both Thai and Lao before we arrived so language was never a problem. But I think it started around year 7 when those minor irritations; traffic, power outages, internet inexplicable slowdowns, water shut offs, general bureaucratic nonsense just started to get to me.

I would also say I got bored. I wanted to volunteer at the local school to coach English and/or Spanish or Mandarin, Of course I was denied. I dont play golf, not a barfly, and there is only so much gym, TV and books to read

My wife never really wanted to move back to Thailand, so that coupled with her wanting to get her career back on track was an added catalyst, plus the fact our son decided he wasn't coming back after college in the US.

I 'think' most people that call it quits in Thailand actually go back to their home country, rather than go somewhere else.

In my experience the expats that do go the distance tend to be single and may or maybe not, have burnt bridges that they couldn't get outta Dodge even if they wanted to.

Don't get me wrong, still love Thailand, we still keep out house, but it's a vacation location now rather than a full time residence

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

A story I've heard many times:

Farang goes to immigration. Sits at a desk with an officer. Busts out his Thai. Says "I've been here for X years, you know I've been having these problems, yadda yadda". Officer nods and listens for several mins. Finally he replies, "Speak English, I don't understand you".

The IO's I meet don't seem to speak English at all.

Best not to chat with police/immigration/government officials in any country, they ain't your friends.

Easier in Thailand, I can just repeat, "I don't understand" as many times as they want to hear it.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Mike k said:

I have a hard time learning foreign languages I use my phone with pictures of what I need and google translate 

There was a TV show in England, where the contestants would have to mime a word or phrase. They were so good. Could get what they were on about in a few seconds. Not 'what's my line' but a later show.

Miming is far better than learning the local language. Which most of the time is impossible to understand as they are walking away from you. But in saying that; I've learnt how to count to ten (sib). From then on it's easy. Just put 'sib' in front; as in sib song (12) or sib ha (15), until 21, which is ye-sib ed.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KhunFred said:

Terrible advice. I refuse to learn a language which consists of a tonal collection of grunts, squeals and squeaks.

The Thai language sounds like a gaggle of donkeys on amphetamines. Thailand's time as a cheap retirement paradise for expats, has run its course. After five miserable years here, I am setting my sights on the Philippines.they, at least, speak HUMAN English. I am not at all charmed by Thailand anymore.

Lets see if you are still posting on here next year ????

Terrible advice. I refuse to learn a language which consists of a tonal collection of grunts, squeals and squeaks.

The Thai language sounds like a gaggle of donkeys on amphetamines. Thailand's time as a cheap retirement paradise for expats, has run its course. After five miserable years here, I am setting my sights on the Philippines.they, at least, speak HUMAN English. I am not at all charmed by Thailand anymore.

Couple of my pals went to PI after the exchange rate reduced their pensions to below the 'retirement extension' requirements.

They seemed happy enough there, but are both in Cambodia now.

Not sure why, they never gave a coherent reason.

Prices were about the same.

PI very easy as everyone speaks English and understands our culture, they even listen to the same music as us.

I like Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam/Philippines and could probably live in any of them (without speaking the local language).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

I dread to think what Thai's and other non-English speaking human beings say about the English language! After all, the English language is not something the humans need to breath comfortably, isn't it?

After five miserable years here... I guess you were miserable in your own country, hence your move to Thailand? May the good God help you and bless you to find eternal bliss in the Philippines.

Note to self: Your miserable life in Thailand in no way makes Thailand a bad country.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Couple of my pals went to PI after the exchange rate reduced their pensions to below the 'retirement extension' requirements.

PI very easy as everyone speaks English and understands our culture, they even listen to the same music as us.

With these conditions, would not ones own country be the best? Why be miserable in a foreign country, blaming all the natives about their food, tastes, language etc etc...?

I guess we don't all age gracefully...

• Like 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

i just had this thought.  MAYBE,  the girls that are easily available to guys serve one main purpose.

Talking to them is actually more of a pain than just living on basic instincts.   Though one or two guys here always insist what a wonderful relationship they have with their Sig Others..... personally i have never witnessed one that would work for me .     

Of course,  mine is different  !

Just now, ravip said:

With these conditions, would not ones own country be the best? Why be miserable in a foreign country, blaming all the natives about their food, tastes, language etc etc...?

I can't afford to live in a nice house in my own country, maybe I could just manage a trailer or a bedsit, but I'd still need to work.

Not sure why anyone would complain about the food, you can cook any style of food you like, the ingredients are the same.

Back in the UK I mainly cooked Mexican chilli or Indian curries.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

20 years+ 

You will be fluent by now. 
Right?

The novelty has not worn off for me, I love it here, but have been sickened by the everchanging rules mostly against expats and particularly by this bunch of tinpot soldiers who do not have the education to run a country, and are more interested in sitting round tables and making rules.

• Like 2

Just now, rumak said:

i just had this thought.  MAYBE,  the girls that are easily available to guys serve one main purpose.

Talking to them is actually more of a pain than just living on basic instincts.   Though one or two guys here always insist what a wonderful relationship they have with their Sig Others..... personally i have never witnessed one that would work for me .     

Of course,  mine is different  !

Both single guys, alcoholics, they never needed women.

All my Thai relationships have been great, those that didn't speak English at the start spoke it very well at the end.

Trying to think of any complaints I have about Thailand ........... now that there's no crowding at immigration ....... not one.

Life as an expat here is great, the only times I speak Thai are at the booze shop and 7-11, maybe 60 seconds in a day.

• Like 2

Just now, BritManToo said:

Trying to think of any complaints I have about Thailand ........... now that there's no crowding at immigration ....... not one.

Life as an expat here is great, the only times I speak Thai are at the booze shop and 7-11, maybe 60 seconds in a day.

I agree with you about living here , of course !     no better place ,  just wish we could hold back the

clock a bit.     ( i do enjoy speaking thai though ...  maybe cause it took me so long   lol )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, rumak said:

the "novelty"  wears off everywhere,  with almost everything .    i came here because the western rules and regulations  and PC  were sickening to me.   thailand felt much more FREE.   it is changing some,  (yes, immig  can be a pain) ..... but again,  when i compare it to the US   i  still feel  very fortunate every time i get that one year extension.   emphasis on VERY

I just refused to obey a lot of the rules in the UK and still managed to live all my life there without a criminal record, I was just getting too old to attract the younger females, and so came here to stay, and that has certainly paid off.

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 2

I am surprised you could live for so many years in a country where people speak such a language. Do you think your language sounds better (I assume it is American English because only an American could have such a moronic view of a foreign language). Thailand will not be the poorer when you leave. I pity the Philippines, though.