How do I stay in Thailand on a tourist visa for a year upward?

3 hours ago, Uroller said:

I take exception to the comment that Canadians are only Yanks with a Queen????????Sounds like you never been to Canada  which is very differed to from the States and that’s coming from somebody born in London, grew up and educated in Vanada and lived and worked in Los Angeles and New York. Me thinks too much fake news and huge lack of knowledge????????????

i never knew Canada had a Queen, is that the same one whose son Charlie has all the medals and never fought in a war. :cheesy:

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Nice idea and yes smart visa been chatted about. "The board of investment" brilliant!

So take a stab at what this will cost.

Even folk on annual extensions needs to pay 1900/yr. Plus keep best part of 800k in bank etc etc. Not to mention all the other options that cost and have requirements. Why no 90 day reports. 

The smart visa will cost? ....what's your guess?

10,000 baht cost. No 90 day reports because you don't deal with immigration anymore. Even the visa itself is affixed at the SMART office in BKK. Comes with a range of benefits such as using the Thai only & VIP/express queues at borders/airports, and dependants are welcome too apparently. I'm sure they'll make it as difficult as they can though.

11 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

10,000 baht cost. No 90 day reports because you don't deal with immigration anymore. Even the visa itself is affixed at the SMART office in BKK. Comes with a range of benefits such as using the Thai only & VIP/express queues at borders/airports, and dependants are welcome too apparently. I'm sure they'll make it as difficult as they can though.

"10,000 baht cost"

That's per what...year?  + Benefits. 555⁵5

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

"10,000 baht cost"

That's per what...year?  + Benefits. 555⁵5

Yes, for each year of the visa. So if you're given a 5 year visa, it'll be 50k. Expensive, yes. But, 50K for five years and taking all the stress, time and hasstle out of 90 day IO visits and yearly renewals is well worth it IMO.

7 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Yes, for each year of the visa. So if you're given a 5 year visa, it'll be 50k. Expensive, yes. But, 50K for five years and taking all the stress, time and hasstle out of 90 day IO visits and yearly renewals is well worth it IMO.

Will not happen. Not even remotely. 

Wet dream

Thailand Elite Visa. The application fee for the cheapest program, the Easy Access, is 500,000 Thai baht–around $16,500. It gives you a five-year visa and other benefits mentioned above.Oct 1, 2020

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Will not happen. Not even remotely. 

Wet dream

Thailand Elite Visa. The application fee for the cheapest program, the Easy Access, is 500,000 Thai baht–around $16,500. It gives you a five-year visa and other benefits mentioned above.Oct 1, 2020

They are already being issued, not a dream - wet or otherwise! Check out the website, there are several different visas to apply for.

The freelancer visa is a new one coming this month, along with some other changes to make them easier to apply for. There are even options for retired folks with a lower income/investment requirements. Well worth checking out if you're lucky enough to qualify for one.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Cut to chase how much does this cost per year and what is the major hurdle. 

The 10k number sounds about correct. It shown on the London embassy as 300 pounds that is around 10k baht.

Qualifying for it is the big thing. Have a look at the brochure since there is more than of category.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The 10k number sounds about correct. It shown on the London embassy as 300 pounds that is around 10k baht.

Qualifying for it is the big thing. Have a look at the brochure since there is more than of category.

Even if they relax requirements for SMART visa, my guess is that you'll have to hand over at least 30% of your earnings, and there won't be free insurance ???? 

If you are 50+ you can get retirement visa else they now have a special visa for long term tourists. It is for 3 months at a time to maximum of 9 months (will be extended for 3 mouths every 3 months) . After 9 months I am sure you will figure it out how to stay another 3 months. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, khunPer said:

The Smart Visa is not for self-employed digital nomads, check the required qualifications and requirements in the shared link.

There is a new range of freelancer visas coming this month. I was talking with the BOI folks last month via email, and they assured me that the new measures would be put to the cabinet for approval mid November. The link i shared is so that people can keep checking to see when it comes out.

They are also easing the qualifications and requirements of the current range of visas on offer, as they are too difficult for people to successfully apply for!

Edited by 2530Ubon

Op, did you read anything about visas and Thailand before?

This forum and the whole net is full with articles covering this topic.

Tourists stay here for a holiday and not for a year, or more. And being from America doesn't really matter.

Can you go to any other country that's not your own and live on tourist visas?

1 hour ago, teacherclaire said:

Op, did you read anything about visas and Thailand before?

This forum and the whole net is full with articles covering this topic.

Tourists stay here for a holiday and not for a year, or more. And being from America doesn't really matter.

Can you go to any other country that's not your own and live on tourist visas?

Wow... obviously he has done some research which is why he came to the right place - this forum - to ask such a question. I can't comprehend why this would bother you, if i was an American, I'd want to get out too!

To answer your question, yes there are several countries that will allow you live there for a year or more on a tourist visa, here are a few;

Albania

Norway (Svalbard)

Georgia

Palau

Micronesia

Equatorial New Guinea

Marshall Islands

The Bahamas (240 days without financial proof, 1 year if you can show 50k (USD) from remote working)

Edited by 2530Ubon

2 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

There is a new range of freelancer visas coming this month. I was talking with the BOI folks last month via email, and they assured me that the new measures would be put to the cabinet for approval mid November. The link i shared is so that people can keep checking to see when it comes out.

They are also easing the qualifications and requirements of the current range of visas on offer, as they are too difficult for people to successfully apply for!

Yes, I saw something about it in the news, but it's not available yet, nor are the details.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Yes, I saw something about it in the news, but it's not available yet, nor are the details.

I'm hopeful it'll be done soon. I'm soon to be married, so i'll be choosing the non o based on marriage, or this new freelancer visa. Whichever makes my life easier ????

On 11/6/2020 at 1:46 PM, CanadaSam said:

Please ignore the naysayers and just get the STV which allows you 270 days stay in Thailand, and then just visit a neighboring country and do it all over again.

Don't advertise your digital work, and do it all you want.

Enjoy your life in one of the most beautiful countries in the world, with wonderful people, really wonderful food, and lots of options for enjoyment ????

850 bucks isn't even enough to quarantine 

3 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

$850 a month is not a lot to live on anywhere what you going to eat Mama noodles everyday?

To be fair to the OP, he did state PASSIVE income without working was 850 - he will also be working online to supplement his income.

5 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

Wow... obviously he has done some research which is why he came to the right place - this forum - to ask such a question. I can't comprehend why this would bother you, if i was an American, I'd want to get out too!

To answer your question, yes there are several countries that will allow you live there for a year or more on a tourist visa, here are a few;

Albania

Norway (Svalbard)

Georgia

Palau

Micronesia

Equatorial New Guinea

Marshall Islands

The Bahamas (240 days without financial proof, 1 year if you can show 50k (USD) from remote working)

Also Seychelles and Philippines.   I'm sure many others.

On 11/6/2020 at 10:06 AM, Huckenfell said:

The USA is an internationally considered "High Risk"  country, same as UK and Europe. But both Australia and NZ are Low Risk. I don't know about Canada, but they are only Yanks with a Queen, so probably same as USA.

Canada is considered high risk too with high internal numbers reported during past few weeks.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/canada/

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2020 at 8:27 AM, kerlimeke75 said:

Bringing in $850 a month passive income without working and will work digitally as well.

Will immigration have an issue with me doing visa runs? essay writer

I understand they view it from an economic standpoint and don’t want backpackers here. Low end foreigners are useless to Thailand, to my understanding. My question is how do I ensure my stay is without trouble from immigration?

I am from the US.

my issue got solved guys u the best