Moving to Thai farm Issaan

maulibels85

Maybe one more point, I would rater live with low budget in Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Kanchanaburi or any other low cost place than in a rural village in Isan. 

First of all, there will always be a need to get somewhere like a decent tourist place to reset, to chit chat <deleted> and more serious things. 

It is always good to have monay to share the cost when there is a family emergency or need for something. I always contribute our share when there is something like a hospital bed for grandmother, or private room at hospital, etc. 

3 hours ago, todlad said:

Many people have said living in Isaan is boring: life everywhere can be boring.

To be true, I was quicker bored and restless in Hua Hin than here, and here, I can stay inside the farm area for a week, before I go outside. 

It is all about creating daily routines, and the days goes as a candle light blown in the wind ???? 

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Exactly. Colour me happy. Oh no Big C... still can't have everything.

In Phuket we have Supercheap's they really are cheap but dont stock everything a Farang needs I can live with that and they sell beer anytime

2 minutes ago, J Town said:

I spent a month with my former gf, a little village 20 clicks south of Sa Kaeo. The rubbish/plastic burning was a bridge too far for me.

You dont need to be up there for lighting fires, I live in Phuket and behind my house is empty land apart from some workers living there the other day they lit a fire 2m from my back wall burning plastic and I had the back door open all this toxic smoke and fumes coming over the wall, I went out to them put that <deleted> fire out, they did I wouldn't mind it's quite a big piece of land but no they got to put next to my house.

On 11/5/2020 at 3:57 PM, Donekys said:

I just moved to the family farm in Isaan after covid closed our business on a tourist island in south Thailand. Been here since May. It's killing me! I am very bored.

How can one get bored on a Farm, As I understand  A Farm is a place where one Works, may that be raising chooks/ducks/cattle or growing crops, rice /wheat/corn/rubber/and Fruit. 

So if you are bored than what are you doing on a farm. Roll up your sleeves and get stuck into it .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, digger70 said:

How can one get bored on a Farm, As I understand  A Farm is a place where one Works, may that be raising chooks/ducks/cattle or growing crops, rice /wheat/corn/rubber/and Fruit. 

So if you are bored than what are you doing on a farm. Roll up your sleeves and get stuck into it .

Depending on where the farm is the work permit nonsense might be a problem

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

Ever heard about a farmer who got caught working? I never heard about anyone driving their wife to the marked to sell either got caught. Working on your own land is a myth you will get busted for working. If true someone have to post the proof of it. 

2 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Ever heard about a farmer who got caught working? I never heard about anyone driving their wife to the marked to sell either got caught. Working on your own land is a myth you will get busted for working. If true someone have to post the proof of it. 

The only one likely to cause trouble would be another foreigner.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

Sorry but to me, these thoughts are just so negative guys. Planning for failure? Why did you come here, what are you looking for?

For so many failure is a reality. 

For very many others failure is always a possibility so a plan B at the back of your mind is only common sense. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tagged said:

This puzzles me a bit. Long time ago in a bar in Udon Thani the farang owner was happily working away and I queried if he wasn't worried about the local law. He looked a bit surprised and said no they don't bother about that here. Possibly the brown envelope syndrome or possibly the good old days. 

3 minutes ago, rott said:

This puzzles me a bit. Long time ago in a bar in Udon Thani the farang owner was happily working away and I queried if he wasn't worried about the local law. He looked a bit surprised and said no they don't bother about that here. Possibly the brown envelope syndrome or possibly the good old days. 

I would say a bar is a different area, and I have heard about bar owners been kicked out, but those guys was always in trouble with something anyway or someone

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 1

We hear a lot about people going off to live in a village but never in a town. I had five years in a Nakhon and found it OK. Walking distance to Big C, 7, bars, hospitals, a park with a lake and the town centre in general. There were farangs met regularly for a "few" drinks, no-one forces anyone to go but you are welcome if not a nutter. And nutters are not only found in Pattaya. 

Even living there I needed a fairly regular break in Pattaya or Bangkok so don't think I would last in a village. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, rott said:

And nutters are not only found in Pattaya. 

Im not so sure about that. To be earnest, I have only met nutters in Thailand, but most is all different if they not only sit and drink all day long, than it is same same. 

You must be a nutter to survive year after year here, and so far I have some years to go before I can decide if I can stay until I get to old. 

So far I have only met a handful guys I can travel with for days or a week who I feel comrfortable around who is not my gf, or any other girl for that sake, but for now gf. 

As others have stated, living in Issarn is quite different.  I would also advise to not sell your home in the USA and either rent it or just let it sit.  If heat is a problem you will really notice it in April as it gets very hot then.  Farming is hard work and long hours to be successful

6 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

.  Farming is hard work and long hours to be successful

I did digging dikes the first year, but not doing any physiacal work here anymore, just small things, the others cant do as I like to have it done, I will do. So I would say at least 4 months it is to hot for me to comfortable work outside, unless it is early in the morning, and the last hour before sunset. We pay her parents to work 4 days a week each and pay them 10 000,-

If he come here to think he is going to work like a thai, then good luck, Im 52 in good shape, but I do my workout in the gym, and pay people to do the rest. Managing is a full day job to, and pay attention to the bank account, take care of the animals, read news and tv forum, and make new routes for the next motorbike trips as well. 

Hehehe 

Edited by Tagged

1 minute ago, Tagged said:

I did digging dikes the first year, but not doing any physiacal work here anymore, just small things, the others cant do as I like to have it done, I will do. So I would say at least 4 months it is to hot for me to comfortable work outside, unless it is early in the morning, and the last hour before sunset. We pay her parents to work 4 days a week each and pay them 10 000,-

If he come here to think he is going to work like a thai, then good luck, Im 52 in good shape, but I do my workout in the gym, and pay people to do the rest. Managing is a full day job to, and pay attention to the bank account, take care of the animals, read news and tv forum, and make new routes for the next motorbike trips as well. 

Hehehe 

I volunteer for digging as an excellent way to keep active. You are right about the weather, of course ... dripping sweat in the high season!

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Family  farm , Isn't he one of the Family ,should be able to work on that .

Work permit ? Who knows ,blend in with other farm hands what they don't know wont hurt. 

Can always obtain a WP.   ????

12 hours ago, Tagged said:

Hehehe 

Never been one for watching others work, I muck in help out, occasionally neighbours, will not see people struggle if I can help, no return, except maybe a few who will put in a good word when others seek to make derisory comments about the farang. Worth the effort I feel. But it is spontaneous not calculated. Same with employing locals it can pay dividends, you don't need to become best mates but there is a modicum of mutual respect in that you don't go past them looking to pay others unless really necessary. And guess what, always something they can teach you if you are willing to listen.

4 hours ago, 473geo said:

Never been one for watching others work, I muck in help out, occasionally neighbours, will not see people struggle if I can help, no return, except maybe a few who will put in a good word when others seek to make derisory comments about the farang. Worth the effort I feel. But it is spontaneous not calculated. Same with employing locals it can pay dividends, you don't need to become best mates but there is a modicum of mutual respect in that you don't go past them looking to pay others unless really necessary. And guess what, always something they can teach you if you are willing to listen.

Paying for the party for everybody, to be working full time is not going to happen. If we made money out of our minifarm, yes, it would be in my interest to work as much as possible, but this is just a familily project to keep them busy,  be as much self sufficent as possible. 

You have to know or understand there is a fine balance between becoming the stupid falang, and the one who made it possible for the family to have a better life. 

Helping out is something different, and of course you help out when you can and it is needed. And I like to puzzle with my things, my small projects and do not worry, Im able to keep myself busy. 

• Like 1