Moving to Thai farm Issaan

maulibels85

3 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

Well summed up. I try to fit in, not stand out. Follow the example of others in the village.

We had 4-5 poeple working for us 8 months straight, and always hire local people for the more heavy work, as well buy as much local goods we can get in the quality we need and want, so we support as much as we can and I believe that is important. But will always stick out no matter, Im a falang, a foreigner who do things different, house look different, the dog have better kennel than most around us have houses, and the rumor is among the neighbours they wish they was a falang dog. ????

On 11/9/2020 at 8:50 PM, kickstart said:

I do think so ,for a farang to get a WP to work on a farm  the farm must employ I think it is 6-7 Thai's and the farm must pay 50 000 baht in taxes per year, you will be luck if half the village pays that in tax in a year.

How do I know this ,I had a WP  to work on a Thai farm ,had one for some years ,then this government took over,went to renew my WP, and they told me above ,I do not think it is them moving the goal posts or making new rules ,just enforcing the existing ones that had gone lax for some years ,put me in early retirement .

They are quite a few farangs who have farms of they own ,we are one ,never had a WP , as I wrote before ,keep yourself to your self ,lean a bit of Thai ,help your neighbour's now and then, you should be OK .

What you say is not correct.... 4 Th Employees, WP for farming purposes not possible...... What you mention about Taxes also not correct.... Minimum salary for a Farang to get a WP is : 50000Thb/month, and as I said not possible for farming.....

• Like 1

jomtienisgood said:

'Minimum salary for a Farang to get a WP is : 50000Thb/month, and as I said not possible for farming.....'

So how does a teacher on less than B50000 per month get a work permit?

Just a question, no drama. Have a friend who checked last month where his work permit and teachers licence were (because of the pending crackdown) and the school said don't worry, no probs, so he stopped work and is waiting, but I doubt if he is getting B50000 per month.

3 minutes ago, carlyai said:

jomtienisgood said:

'Minimum salary for a Farang to get a WP is : 50000Thb/month, and as I said not possible for farming.....'

So how does a teacher on less than B50000 per month get a work permit?

Just a question, no drama. Have a friend who checked last month where his work permit and teachers licence were (because of the pending crackdown) and the school said don't worry, no probs, so he stopped work and is waiting, but I doubt if he is getting B50000 per month.

That is correct, Teachers are under a different status of Min income......

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 11/5/2020 at 8:42 PM, NCC1701A said:

rent the house in the USA. the rental income will be needed. never sell it. 

ask yourself this question. are you comfortable with putting 800,000 in a Thai bank and leaving it there year round? I am and this one thing makes dealing with Thai immigration so much easier. That is the first class way to go with getting a retirement visa. do not go the marriage visa route. 

if you think can can't do this one thing, i would rethink coming here until you have the cash to do so. 

Why not the marriage visa?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 473geo said:

Following my early morning cycle sprint, my excuse for short!! Having the excitement of forgetting my mask and risking a fine!! It came on to rain, so I sat with a coffee or three and read this thread to refresh my memory.

Nothing much to add, clearly some guys as myself are enjoying Isaan and others have failed or fail to see the attraction. Perhaps much as when I see gated community it conjures the image somewhere to escape from not somewhere to enter

Off to feed the cattle with my wife now, busy busy

Don't forget to feed your wife too.555555

24 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Don't forget to feed your wife too.555555

My wife is in charge of the food side of things, a very good cook, in so far that she pleases me with variation, just enough to keep things interesting but always along the lines of something she knows I enjoy, Bacon and and home made chips for breakfast this morning, my son enjoys this too. A little different from my effort of toast and strawberry jam on occasion. But that is the beauty of Isaan within reason you can tailor it to your taste. No need to rely on standard restaurant fare.

7 hours ago, bermondburi said:

Lived in the village in Buriram for a couple of years. Bought land, built a house there. No real problems as such and I get on with all the family fine. Tend to keep out of the usual day to day dramas. I've loved seeing the land change over the past 15 years, the trees growing, shade increasing etc. And it's great to VISIT for a few days. 

Love to visit and chill out for a few days but there's no way I'd want to be there all the time. Some do like it though. If anything it's easier now. Internet coverage is good everywhere, Tesco 7km even has wine. When I first went the nearest atm was 30km away, and Korat was 90km for a baguette. 

Left for Bangkok after a couple of years, and then left Thailand nine years ago. 

Bought another house in Pranburi a few years ago and I love it there, as does my wife. I've always wondered about the ferrang in Issan, how many actually would choose to live there if it wasn't for their wives. I just don't see the attraction. I also find a lot of the landscape in Isaan boring compared to the south. Mile after mile of the same old flat land with intermittent changes of rice, rubber, and cassava. But if you like the quiet life.....

To the OP , heed the advice given by others. 

Don't rush into anything. Definitely don't buy or build for at least a year. Don't make any big purchases. Don't plan on making any money from farming. Look at it as a hobby.

Do look at other areas.

Do get to know the family.

My biggest positive about Isaan would be that the people are genuine, and honest, and fair enough. If anything a bit too honest in that they're naive in many ways. And friendly enough too. Definitely not out to rip you off as some would make out. 

So whatever you do. Good luck. 

Monthly progress reports required.

1529815080939.jpg

IMG_20210116_141243.jpg

IMG_20210114_210834.jpg

Isaan I tried for 4 years , Korat , Udon same ugly landscape , Boring , Not many Choices of restaurants especially Korat , now in Jomtien if I go anywhere it will be South of Thailand 

2 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

Isaan I tried for 4 years , Korat , Udon same ugly landscape , Boring , Not many Choices of restaurants especially Korat , now in Jomtien if I go anywhere it will be South of Thailand 

I guess looking at the same hills down south for 4 years will be different? Accepted beaches restaurants are in closer proximity, but having 'done' Phuket for years before it became more concrete than sand and natural habitat, also some incredible NZ beaches, Hua hin, Cha Aam, which to me is ok but nothing special, then home in Isaan is where we are most comfortable. Landscape here is changing daily, farang and young Thai buying up land for new properties going up daily. This area of Isaan seems quite attractive to many.

19 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

None of them

(Except maybe very few rare exceptions)

Of course most of them will deny this fact

Why deny it? Same as every singel man coming to thailand deny they come for women and not temples ? 

When first have a woman, Isan is a great place to have a base!

Edited by Tagged

2 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Why deny it? Same as every singel man coming to thailand deny they come for women and not temples ? 

Well, I have friends that live in Cambodia and the Philippines but when they want serious top notch medical services they fly here. I only get to see them when they have a medical problem. Especially true for my friend who lives in Cambodia.

If you have decided you no longer want to live in your home country and you are looking for somewhere else to live you will probably go for the place that ticks the most boxes. Woman are just one of those boxes and not the only one.

19 minutes ago, Denim said:

Well, I have friends that live in Cambodia and the Philippines but when they want serious top notch medical services they fly here. I only get to see them when they have a medical problem. Especially true for my friend who lives in Cambodia.

If you have decided you no longer want to live in your home country and you are looking for somewhere else to live you will probably go for the place that ticks the most boxes. Woman are just one of those boxes and not the only one.

Cambodia and phil os often for those who have given up thai women ????

Of course it is more voxes to tick off when moving, the same goes for making the decission moving to Isan! Often we have different reasons also, not only the woman, but for sure I would not stay anyplace in the world without a woman. Living Alone is not for me

31 minutes ago, Denim said:

I disagree. There are some nice towns in Isaan with all the big Malls.  Living in Isaan doesn't mean you have to live in the ass end of nowhere. Much rather there than Bangkok , Pattaya  Phuket for example.

I've lived in Pattaya and Bangkok and would never dream of moving back there. Don't even go to those places for a break now.

Those that don't like it after trying it usually just move away if they can afford it and take their wives with them.

You don't disagree, you just misunderstand my comment

i have never writed the towns in Issan aren't nice

most of the farangs living in Issan aren't in these nice towns anyway

they are in small villages, where their thai gf\wife is coming from

these farangs would have never come here alone

they didn't even know this village existed to begin with

45 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

You don't disagree, you just misunderstand my comment

i have never writed the towns in Issan aren't nice

most of the farangs living in Issan aren't in these nice towns anyway

they are in small villages, where their thai gf\wife is coming from

these farangs would have never come here alone

they didn't even know this village existed to begin with

I'm one of the ones who moved to Isaan with the old lady. You know at first it's a kick in the ass to live (part time) in a rugged Isaan village. My idea to buy land and then came the house. After like 6-7 yrs of being there part time I decided That no way was that going to be my retirement place. No way. Now some of you Isaan folks live in places where the locals make good money and don't exist on a small piece of rice field and a cash job here and there. You will have a different perspective as to those who's inlaws have no means of support except for you. They might be good people who don't drink much but they still need $$$$. And finally there's education for our kid, no English program schools around.

Now those of you who live say in Udon and surrounding areas, you have it differently than those who live near Sakon Nakhon in my opinion. All I'm getting at is there are different scenarios for everyone.

Oh, and we moved 600Km away from Isaan and we live a short ways from the beach, good schools near by, lots of restaurants, Pattaya is only 45 min away. I can sit in my front yard, have a beer without the neighbors coming over for a party. We cook for our household, not bunches of other people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 473geo said:

My wife is in charge of the food side of things, a very good cook, in so far that she pleases me with variation, just enough to keep things interesting but always along the lines of something she knows I enjoy, Bacon and and home made chips for breakfast this morning, my son enjoys this too. A little different from my effort of toast and strawberry jam on occasion. But that is the beauty of Isaan within reason you can tailor it to your taste. No need to rely on standard restaurant fare.

That's the correct attitude...

6 hours ago, bermondburi said:

I also find a lot of the landscape in Isaan boring compared to the south.

I found your post to be excellent, 'bermondburi' thoughtful well balanced,well considered..and with photos to boot-which is a big plus!

On the road to Surin there is a slight ridge (150 metres?) just before Khantarorum-or was it Sisaket and Kantharalak?

Well..it must be jolly flat if I can remember that ridge after 5 years!????

DSCN5045.JPG

Edited by Odysseus123

5 hours ago, 473geo said:

Following my early morning cycle sprint, my excuse for short!! Having the excitement of forgetting my mask and risking a fine!! It came on to rain, so I sat with a coffee or three and read this thread to refresh my memory.

Nothing much to add, clearly some guys as myself are enjoying Isaan and others have failed or fail to see the attraction. Perhaps much as when I see gated community it conjures the image somewhere to escape from not somewhere to enter

Off to feed the cattle with my wife now, busy busy

And that kind of sums up what I don't get. Not knocking you, but I don't see the attraction. Each to their own.

3 hours ago, Tagged said:

When first have a woman, Isan is a great place to have a base!

They will deny it because they probably never want to accept

the fact that even if the farang is the provider and the main financial source it's their Thai wife\gf who finally decided where they are going to live

That doesn't mean few years later some of them are not happy with the situation, if you are old enough and you like the rural life, then you can have some good days and few areas can be enjoyable surrounded by nice people

But again my comment was an answer to Berdmondburi question:

''I've always wondered about the ferrang in Issan, how many actually would choose to live there if it wasn't for their wives.''

And my answer was ''none of them'' because none of these farang would have the idea to come here if it wasn't for the wife or the gf

Who in his right mind will come in Thailand for an holiday or for retirment  and suddenly for no specific reasons decide to go on a tour with the visit of a village in the middle of nowhere with 0 touristic attraction and at 10 or more kms from the main city then out of the blue decide it will be a good idea to live in this specific place? Seriously...

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

Just now, 473geo said:

Then you have Isaan where people can live of a small piece of land work occasionally to pay for few beers, I enjoy living in that relaxed - mode 'gated community' full of people who think they have 'made it' no thanks

But you can do that in Pattaya, Chiang Mai, et al ....... no need to move to the back of beyond with few civilised comforts.

31 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

But you can do that in Pattaya, Chiang Mai, et al ....... no need to move to the back of beyond with few civilised comforts.

Maybe just me but I have always found cities to be full of people who actually don't give t0ss about each other, very different to my rural Thai experiences

But for sure we all like to feel we are in the right place for us, for me life has always been an ongoing project, right now is going well, and very much according to plan, not being a person who was 'dragged' to live with my wife and family, but one who patiently spent years creating a lovely hobby for a retirement, very ably assisted by my wife, I can spend my years with those that love me, relaxed and content. I am capable of working and do so, the locals as they pass give the thumbs up, one of my relatives was struggling to find time to move some straw, take my truck he says, I don't have a Thai licence, but that it appeared was of no consequence, as it happened he managed to fit us in, saved me having an attack of principles like so many on the forum, and yes I loaded and unloaded the straw. Isaan life keeps me active and busy. No need for city gym membership for me. No matter how good the views of the lady on the bike in front!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ireland32 said:

Please remember that Korat (Nakhon Ratchasima) is quite a large province. There's lots of restaurants near where I live and the landscape is far from boring. Plenty to see and do, supermarkets, banks, DIY stores within 10 minutes etc. etc.

Pak Chong has some really good bars and clubs if you like nightlife - they're mainly Thai style but for me that's a plus

Yes, there are some god awful parts (in my opinion) but its a very varied province.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Yes. It sounds like you've never actually lived on a farm in Isaan. Its not for everyone - you may think you'll keep yourself busy but you may struggle with the heat.  The further up into Isaan you get, the more isolated it can be. 

Before you commit any substantial investment in your 'retirement', I'd recommend trying 6 months there first.  I'm not a farmer but I come from a farming background in the UK and when I'm in the UK I live way out in the wilds but way out in the wilds of Isaan is a completely different story - I can't take more than 2 weeks of it there.

There are so many aspects to discuss that it would take all day but some of the main things are:

Distance to civilisation.

Ability to speak Thai.

Other English speaking Westerners nearby.

Family - are they nearby? Can you accept them walking in and out of your house whenever they please? Insanely drunk male family members insisting you sit and get drunk with them.

Constant requests for 'loans' from family members (you'll never see the money again by the way).

Heat.

Mosquitos.

Dogs barking until 2am.

Confused chickens crowing from 3am.

The list goes on and on - some are fine with it, many don't last - try it before you buy it.

You make it sound like people in Phuket should be careful they are not disturbed by the sound of the waves!!! City dweller?

• Haha 1