Moving to Thai farm Issaan

maulibels85

13 minutes ago, 473geo said:

You make it sound like people in Phuket should be careful they are not disturbed by the sound of the waves!!! City dweller?

Not at all - did you read my post or skim read it?

If you like dogs barking and chickens crowing all night, that's fine. As I said, some can hack it, some can't - I twin walled my house and installed double glazing.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

For a supposed farmer you come across as a bit of a wuss, I found your list more of a 'what generalisations can I spout about Isaan if I look hard enough' mosquitoes for crying out load easy dealt with, heat, try a couple rooms with aircon to chill on occasion in the heat of the day, or rise with cockerels instead of waiting for them to wake you and get with early morning Isaan flow when it is cool!! or work in the cooler evening. Relatives asking for money yes another oldie leave it to your wife, asking for drink? don't pay don't provide it soon subsides.  I could go on......

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2020 at 8:08 PM, Lacessit said:

I would agree with all of your points, except #1.

I can withdraw all my cash from my Thai bank accounts, and convert it to another currency which I can take out of Thailand.

Or I can let the bank convert it for another currency, then transfer it overseas.

Or simply buy gold here, and sell it in my home country.

Re point #6, my Thai GF occasionally asks me if she can borrow 1000 baht. We look at each other, then both laugh.

We look at each other, then both laugh.

What about (mine always says)????

23 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

If you like dogs barking and chickens crowing all night, that's fine. As I said, some can hack it, some can't - I twin walled my house and installed double glazing.

You need to get out and do some graft, sleep comes easier

12 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

There's always one insn't there?

Again, you fail to read my post fully - I actually said I'm not a farmer.  The things I listed are things that will be high on many people's lists - I repeat, some can hack it, some can't.  I have aircon thanks - I'm talking about trying to work outside in the heat. Work in the evenings?  Evening lasts about 30 minutes in Thailand, I wouldn't get much done. Rise with the cockerels - you may enjoy getting up at 3am, most westerners won't.

Call me a wuss all you like buddy - I'd suggest your the exception to the rule.  I've known scores of people try the rural idyll in Isaan and most have failed. Again, its not for everyone and all I'm suggesting is the OP tries it before he makes committments.

I've had a home in Isaan for 6 years by the way.

Yes but you see I am failing to see the list of positives in your post!!!! Because if one gets it right, life is a great deal more acceptable than your sad tale of woe

Edited by 473geo

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

Maybe just me but I have always found cities to be full of people who actually don't give t0ss about each other, very different to my rural Thai experiences

I'm 10Km from the moat in CM, it's as rural as any Issan village.

But I have modern facilities in a very short drive.

Yeah, I can see or hear buffaloes most days.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm 10Km from the moat in CM, it's as rural as any Issan village.

But I have modern facilities in a very short drive.

Yeah, I can see or hear buffaloes most days.

Exactly, you don't have to follow the little lady to Isaan to find a quiet lifestyle.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Yes but you see I am failing to see the list of positives in your post!!!! Because if one gets it right, life is a great deal more acceptable than your sad tale of woe

'Sad tale of woe' - a little over dramatic. 

I've had a home in Isaan for 6 years and had some involvement with the region for 19 years.  My current home is between Khao Yai and Pak Chong - I find many positives living there because I get the best of both worlds - its rural but not isolated. I actually chose to live there - it had nothing to do with a wife, I wasn't married at the time.

However, I several years ago I spent a lot of time up near Yasothon in an isolated village and I'd never wish to return there again. Personally I can't think of one positive aspect of living in that area that isn't outweighed by the negatives.

I also lived in Bangkok for 6 months and I'd never wish to live there again either.  I'd suggest its rare for a westerner to enjoy living in a rural area up in deepest Isaan but I guess it depends on what you want from life.  There are some that seem to like it and others that can't take it - I also know of several that would glady move back to civilisation if they could.

I find nothing stimulating about sitting on a low wooden platform doing nothing for large parts of the day as many rural Thai's do - stimulation is what I seek.  When I retire, I want a little more out of life than waiting for god. At my Isaan home I can have my breakfast sitting on my balcony looking over to the mountains of Khao Yai national park.  I get up at 6 by the way, I find nothing useful in waking in the dark and fumbling around. I only have to travel for 10 minutes to purchase items for one of my many projects and shopping is available in the same location.  I also enjoy going for a drink occasionally and eating out at one of the many local restaurants.  I can do all of these things whilst still enjoying living in a rural location.

The OP hasn't indicated where he plans to settle and who knows, like you he may like isolation and the lack of facilities? On the other hand he might like the things most of us do. You have to accept that you are the exception rather than the rule.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

At my Isaan home I can have my breakfast sitting on my balcony looking over to the mountains of Khao Yai national park. 

Another couple of days and they'll finish my balcony, just need to bolt on the railings, tile and paint.

My view is of Doi Suthep and rice paddy.

balcony.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 473geo said:

What you don't know is I was raised in the countryside, worked on a farm in my younger years, moved to office work in London and have seen many facets of how people live, kid themselves their life is rewarding, by upgrading properties, vehicles, going out to fine restaurants, basically spending to justify the hours work sucks out of their lives

Then you have Isaan where people can live on a small piece of land work occasionally to pay for few beers, I enjoy living in that relaxed mode - 'gated community' full of people who think they have 'made it' no thanks

Cant explain why you like to live in the mountains in europe to someone who never felt the beuty of the differnt seasons, and never had the feeling of being truly free alone in the wilderness. Almost the same goes for Isan with its diversity. The good thing, we are free to leave whenever we want, and go on holiday to their paradises, and it feels like holiday and not day to day experience that gets truly boring after awhile. 

Im also born and rised on a farm country side, and appreciate the freedom that comes with it, but for sure, not for everybody. 

A2E6CA24-184B-4BBA-8DCA-3E0DF77098C2.jpeg

0598A8CD-7D1F-4F9C-8C21-023DF6A0D921.jpeg

872A4EE5-3681-4243-A273-8F9AEFD3B6FE.jpeg

4E35B06C-254F-46E6-827E-761C207FA4D2.jpeg

30D8D2AF-DD44-4688-AA7A-34F4AA5086F2.jpeg

AC6BEA68-BAA7-445C-A342-EAE9C2AF8853.jpeg

245098E7-06E8-4021-B2AF-2545D14D2FE7.jpeg

A52D2E48-53C4-48EB-8C38-D093A6A67490.jpeg

• Like 2

Finally if the op ever returns a few positive views of rural Thailand which I am sure he is keen to experience - it's like drawing teeth!!!

I would post a few of our grassland and sprinkler system, new cow shed and rice straw barn, and the quality cattle we have reared, the mango trees we planted 10 years ago that deliver fresh fruit for the whole family. You see the important views in my life change on a regular basis, but only to those interested in farming.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

You see the important views in my life change on a regular basis, but only to those interested in farming.

More of us may be interested in farming in Thailand if we were legally allowed to participate in the business.

5 minutes ago, How2 said:

I am married to a Thai, we live on our farm in Issan for 20 years now.

Over that time we have seen over 30 farang came and go. There are 4 of us left now. We keep to ourselves and have a get together perhaps once every month of so. If you can entertain yourself with music, reading, hobbies as painting. If you have projects around the house/farm daily and if you can accept the Thai community way of life ... boom/boom (15" base speakers)  music for weddings, funerals and all holidays. Soy dogs fighting and barking most all nights and when in heat. Thai families are usually good, accepting and understanding, but you will never understand how they live, values, beliefs, ghosts and luck.

The big question is not Thailand or Issan, the big unknown is you. Can you adapt? and can you adapt to Thailand. Coming from USA to Thailand will be a big contrast Capitalism and materialism at its worst to simplicity at its best. It's the silence and lack of stimulation that will be your biggest test.

It is all in your head, and willing to adopt or as you say living outside a society you never will completely understand.

Arm, farming, used to live remote, and willing to walk the extra mile to thrive and keep yourselves busy. As well have resourches to manage to escape once and awhile to reset yourselves, as well do not make this as your final destinarion, but have a plan when you get older and might need to move somewhere else a bit more urban with facilties that kan take care of an old man.

Everything is a journey, and at once you decide this is it, you slowly start dying. Isan is not my final destination for sure, but as long it makes my gf happy, Im happy, her family is happy, im pleased to stay as long I can.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 473geo said:

I am rather surprised by how remote some of you are painting Isaan, I have a doctor who has become a friend over the years, 2 kilometers down the road, I think it was because when she had bells palsy I enquired of her health before we addressed a small issue of mine. A local rural hospital in the same town, a major hospital 10 klms away, 50 minutes to an airport that can fly me to Bangkok in an hour.

Plan is to make this my final home, develop it, right now adding another bedroom as my family grows, an outside covered dining area, a shed for my son to pursue his current hobby of fixing motorcycles, rather than doing it on the front porch. Two children to get through college and help make their way in life, but always know there is a welcome at home for as long as they wish.

My wife will take the very best care of me when I reach old age if necessary, as she will her mother and any other relatives, that is also why we are where we are, family ties, strong, and enduring

Fade away in Isaan, no not me fellas, I have the strength, ability and resilience to keep going for many more years, active and enjoying life, but as some one said above each to their own.

I have yet to have a day where there is no stimulation, nothing to do, but when those days do occasionally creep in, I will enjoy, because I planned and worked long and hard that I could wake up in the morning to the beautiful smile from my wife, and look forward to sharing everything the day has to offer with her and my family

That is one specific spot in Isaan

There are plenty of places way more remote than you can image

Edited by bwpage3

13 hours ago, 473geo said:

I am rather surprised by how remote some of you are painting Isaan, I have a doctor who has become a friend over the years, 2 kilometers down the road, I think it was because when she had bells palsy I enquired of her health before we addressed a small issue of mine. A local rural hospital in the same town, a major hospital 10 klms away, 50 minutes to an airport that can fly me to Bangkok in an hour.

Plan is to make this my final home, develop it, right now adding another bedroom as my family grows, an outside covered dining area, a shed for my son to pursue his current hobby of fixing motorcycles, rather than doing it on the front porch. Two children to get through college and help make their way in life, but always know there is a welcome at home for as long as they wish.

My wife will take the very best care of me when I reach old age if necessary, as she will her mother and any other relatives, that is also why we are where we are, family ties, strong, and enduring

Fade away in Isaan, no not me fellas, I have the strength, ability and resilience to keep going for many more years, active and enjoying life, but as some one said above each to their own.

I have yet to have a day where there is no stimulation, nothing to do, but when those days do occasionally creep in, I will enjoy, because I planned and worked long and hard that I could wake up in the morning to the beautiful smile from my wife, and look forward to sharing everything the day has to offer with her and my family

Posts are automatically duplicated themselves for no reason. It takes forever once you hit the save button. Have IT investigate!

Edited by bwpage3

4 hours ago, bermondburi said:

Admittedly, my time in Isaan was all in the South, but I definitely find the landscape boring.

Ah yes, those boring hills down South. The drive along the 24 was so much more interesting.

Nice shots, but you fail to understand, looking at our homes, our cattle, our grassland, our mango trees, our banana trees, our papaya trees, our riceland all producing, and or keeping us busy and active, is much more pleasing to the Isaan farmer.

As I said, you want scenic span and variation, go visit NZ beautiful country

Thai lady lures farang out to the farm, the classic tale. Reminded me of this, though in reverse. Go on YT and look up "Sara" by Starship. You may remember the classic 80's tune. The video goes like this:

1) Opening scene is of a farmhouse. A young lady angrily storms out of it, hops in her car, and leaves her man in the dust, on the long road back to civilization.

2) We then begin to learn through flashbacks, that the young man had inherited the farm from grandpa, and lured his city chick out there to try the farm life.

3) Initially it looked good, with drunken parties and dancing. We also see flashbacks to grandpa's happy childhood on the farm.

4) Then turmoil struck, in both pasts. Grandpa's mom too left the farm for some reason, down the same road. Then a tornado comes and rips through it. Interspersed with this, in the near past, the young couple's parties aren't so fun anymore.

5) Finally, the young man keeps staring down the road, reflecting on both pasts. The moral I guess is, while things turned out bad, it's nothing new really and could've been worse, and he and grandpa must both move on.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Thai lady lures farang out to the farm, the classic tale. Reminded me of this, though in reverse. Go on YT and look up "Sara" by Starship. You may remember the classic 80's tune. The video goes like this:

1) Opening scene is of a farmhouse. A young lady angrily storms out of it, hops in her car, and leaves her man in the dust, on the long road back to civilization.

2) We then begin to learn through flashbacks, that the young man had inherited the farm from grandpa, and lured his city chick out there to try the farm life.

3) Initially it looked good, with drunken parties and dancing. We also see flashbacks to grandpa's happy childhood on the farm.

4) Then turmoil struck, in both pasts. Grandpa's mom too left the farm for some reason, down the same road. Then a tornado comes and rips through it. Interspersed with this, in the near past, the young couple's parties aren't so fun anymore.

5) Finally, the young man keeps staring down the road, reflecting on both pasts. The moral I guess is, while things turned out bad, it's nothing new really and could've been worse, and he and grandpa must both move on.

It for sure true for some, but not everybody, and if you believe so, you got quite a narrow mind if you can not see any advantages of living on the country side.