WHO picks Thailand among 4 countries as example of effective Covid-19 handling

rooster59

8 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

120.000 what? This county is 300k people. 12 deaths in the last week here. Very old people who were not in the prime of their lives by a long shot.

Population in Indonesia 270 million just short of the US, deaths 14500 and this is a third world country.

Tell your former boss.

1 minute ago, NorthernRyland said:

What is your point? Lockdowns don't work. More elderly will die in the coming winter but the epidemic has been over since late May and no second wave (of deaths!) will occur. This virus came out of China and the Asians are probably more immune to these sars-like viruses. 

I am not Asian and I don't live in Thailand anymore we never had a lock down where I live

and had no local transmission for well over six months we don't even wear masks.

So what is your argument? You don't mind if your parents die who worked all their life ?

And don't tell me it is just a flu I had 3 friends died in Germany 2 of them nurses in their

30th and 1 friend aged 45. I know 1 person who is in ICU in Bangkok but not reported

as Covid-19. Get a life.

• Like 2

And soon they will refer to Sweden as a successful country as well ....no doubt ! Over here there has been no strategy what so ever and people have died in large numbers - alone and scared . Thailands strategy ?? Hmm , well a total success ?? Not really and no resting for people unless you pay big bucks. The Thai economy will nor recover for many many years to come. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

I am not Asian and I don't live in Thailand anymore we never had a lock down where I live

and had no local transmission for well over six months we don't even wear masks.

So what is your argument? You don't mind if your parents die who worked all their life ?

And don't tell me it is just a flu I had 3 friends died in Germany 2 of them nurses in their

30th and 1 friend aged 45. I know 1 person who is in ICU in Bangkok but not reported

as Covid-19. Get a life.

My parents in Germany are dead anyway, and I don't have real friends in Germany (Old Heidelberg) anymore - only scroungers. 

And now I don't care about Germans anymore. Why should I? 

• Confused 2

17 hours ago, Guderian said:

Hang about, South Africa's a Covid disaster zone with some of the longest and strictest lockdowns anywhere yet it still has had 3/4 million cases and over 20,000 recorded deaths. What on earth is successful about that, the country is a lesson in how not to handle the virus. Indonesia, like the Philippines, has nothing to boast about either. If these are the best examples the WHO can come up with of countries "successfully handling" the situation, then matters must be far worse than I thought.

Totally agree.

14 hours ago, tandor said:

..Spare us please!...of course Thailand will show that she has very few cases...hmmm...you know why?...cause they tested hardly any...you think we're all stupid?

There was a post just recently asking if anybody knew anyone who had the virus, no one did apart from the likes of in the UK.

I'll put the question in another way. Does anyone know or know someone who knows of anyone here in Thailand who thinks they have or had the symptoms of the virus in say,  since June?

• Like 1

Is there any ressemblance of critical thinking among ordinary thais?Do they really believe this BS?

Of course, Thailand has done good and better than many Western countries, but with very low testing numbers...Thai Government is full aware of they dont have the resources and capacity to contain the virus, should the numbers increase, if borders will be open and they just keep selling this BS to thai people

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, drenddy said:

Is there any ressemblance of critical thinking among ordinary thais?Do they really believe this BS?

Of course, Thailand has done good and better than many Western countries, but with very low testing numbers...Thai Government is full aware of they dont have the resources and capacity to contain the virus, should the numbers increase, if borders will be open and they just keep selling this BS to thai people

If there are symptoms there will be tests...so the cases for symptoms must be low. The bottom line is how many deaths...About 60 in Thailand compared to 60,000 in the UK with a similar population! Where would you rather be?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Currently the US has lost 0.0007% of its population, mainly elderly. The epidemic is over  and life will go on eventually. 

Tell that to the Danes and others.

Danish scientists are particularly concerned about one mink-related strain of the virus, found in 12 people, which they say is less sensitive to protective antibodies, raising concerns about vaccine development.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-54842643

To date, six countries, namely Denmark, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Italy and the United States of America have reported SARS-CoV-2 in farmed minks to the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE).

https://www.who.int/csr/don/06-november-2020-mink-associated-sars-cov2-denmark/en/

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Tell that to the Danes and others.

Danish scientists are particularly concerned about one mink-related strain of the virus, found in 12 people, which they say is less sensitive to protective antibodies, raising concerns about vaccine development.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-54842643

To date, six countries, namely Denmark, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Italy and the United States of America have reported SARS-CoV-2 in farmed minks to the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE).

https://www.who.int/csr/don/06-november-2020-mink-associated-sars-cov2-denmark/en/

Numbers are actually low in Denmark.Of course, there is a spike in cases, but positivity rate is around 1.5 and they test alot.Free and widespread testing.If there's something they did good, the danes, is that they have enhanced testing capacity.

Regarding mink..They are acting out of a principle of caution.

OK so WHO won't mention Taiwan, in fear of offending Dr Tedros' master Xi, the remaining megalomaniac in charge of a global power. South Africa is probably South Korea, Anutin would have just seen South and Africa would have been first to come up. Maybe Uzbekistan is supposed to be Uruguay by the same logic. I have no idea what Indonesia is doing there. 

But be that as it may and despite the economic carnage which is mostly hidden, and the low testing rate Thailand appears to have dodged a bullet for now. There may be many reasons for it, but one I haven't seen mentioned much, is that it is a unified country, they all speak and understand Thai, there is no rubbish from anti maskers etc, it is monocultural in the main. And I think that has helped. Also without doubt a highly effective decentralised public health system down to the village level, even to the same style of building across the country, plus the  fairly effective communication method of waking everybody up with loudspeaker broadcasts to get any message across. 

In Australia for instance the Victorian outbreak became much worse because of the failure of multiculturalism to integrate ethnic communities with the broader community (nutshell analysis).

Edited by Bluetongue
SPELLING
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, jkcjag said:

If there are symptoms there will be tests...so the cases for symptoms must be low. The bottom line is how many deaths...About 60 in Thailand compared to 60,000 in the UK with a similar population! Where would you rather be?

I do not dismiss Thailands firm response to Covid-19, but there is a lot of indoctrination and fear mongering in this agenda.

If Thailand, ever, will initiate a wide testing of population, numbers will definitely be much higher.

I have always wondered how the “new normal” education and policies are being introduced to businesses catering to foreigners. I can still go into restaurants where none of the condiments have been cleaned for what seems like ... ever. Also where is the soap and sanitary towels for  washing and drying your hands. Where is the New Normal standards in mainstream businesses. Just saying.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ravip said:

Nothing.

Just the amulets.

Next...

Ravip
image.png.7041410471464ba25f9d5650e7066578.png
I am sure that Niger and Burundi employed the same sophisticated Covid prevention measures since they are virtually identical to Thailand in terms of Covid infection per million. 

5 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Just what exactly did Thailand do that was different than Italy, Belgium, France, Spain and Portugal? 

France has tested about 270,000 tests per million which is the lowest of the countries you listed,the rest are above 300,000 tests per million,Thailand is at 14,000 tests per million which indicates that by not testing so much you can keep the numbers lower therefore with lower numbers you are able to manage the pandemic better than those with higher numbers.This pandemic isn't about the virus it's all about the numbers.None of us knows just how the numbers are counted,if a person is tested positive then has more tests then those tests are added to the total might be one of the ways the higher numbers are reported,we just don't know.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

In my local paper today in Colorado: "4 new deaths, 3 in their 80s and 1 in their 90s, all died while in long term care nursing homes".

The virus is killing people who were over their life expectancy and who were already indoors 24/7. How is this lockdown making any sense anymore???

..the majority of the causes of deaths of old people in facilities has been consistently recorded for decades by the facilties' general practitioner. Causes of Death are already predictable by each of their 'clients' medical history held on premises, and 'heart failure' and or 'chest infection' are added to the Death Certificate to make it nice and 'fuzzy' and acceptable by the families and authorities. Nice and easy; no post mortem and direct to a funeral. But, in amongst all that can be bacterium and viral infections that go undetected and have the potential to rip through a retirement village or aged care facility etc.

More and frequent testing is a must for all elderly folk, who are mixing still with young people ie their families on visitations and the US's fixation with birthday celebrations and every other family reunion is just a hot-bed for viruses. 

..the majority of the causes of deaths of old people in facilities has been consistently recorded for decades by the facilties' general practitioner. Causes of Death are already predictable by each of their 'clients' medical history held on premises, and 'heart failure' and or 'chest infection' are added to the Death Certificate to make it nice and 'fuzzy' and acceptable by the families and authorities. Nice and easy; no post mortem and direct to a funeral. But, in amongst all that can be bacterium and viral infections that go undetected and have the potential to rip through a retirement village or aged care facility etc.

More and frequent testing is a must for all elderly folk, who are mixing still with young people ie their families on visitations and the US's fixation with birthday celebrations and every other family reunion is just a hot-bed for viruses.