Celebrations erupt in major U.S. cities after Biden election win

rooster59

11 hours ago, Tagged said:

My experience it have always been like this, it just feels like it is a new thing. 

Our individual experience does not nesseserily reflect reality. For example, while there has always been division, it has rarely been so even. I recall at the height of the American Revolution approximately 1/3 favored remaining with the strongest power on the face of the globe at the time. 1/3 favored independence. And 1/3 wanted to not take sides. Division? Yes, but not to this extreme. You might cite the Civil War but the populace numbers would be lopsided.

44 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Did u vote without knowing this whicj has been on his website for months?

Just saw this on his website:

I pledge to be a President who seeks not to divide, but to unify.

Who doesn’t see Red and Blue states, but a United States.

He said this in his first statement and 10 seconds later bragged about rebuilding a strong blue wall across the country.

Is there some reason to read further?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

There are confrontations going on in cities all over the US.  Peaceful citizens celebrating Biden's success are being confronted by armed Trump supporters.  A disaster waiting to happen.  It's not the liberals that are the violent ones.  You know that.

Liberals are quite peaceful now, because they won .

Although they did get violent  for the previous four years

(BTW, has there actually been any violence from Trump supporters?)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, CorpusChristie said:

Liberals are quite peaceful now, because they won .

Although they did get violent  for the previous four years

(BTW, has there actually been any violence from Trump supporters

You really don't know of all the violence and attempted acts of violence from Trump psychos ! Remember Charlottesville ?  Typical of Polarised views of yanks ! Either a liberal or conservative. No room to be in the middle. Experiment of 250 years of democracy ending 

35 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Do try and follow the thread , I asked whether people who voted for Biden knew what his policies were 

So from someone whom you claim didn't know the answer you extrapolated that Biden  "is supposed to be a leader, leading , not having "experts" telling him what to do"

Seems a somewhat dishonest inference, no?

And the fact remains that the odds are overwhelming that Biden would rely on expert advice as did sensible leaders of various nations. Whereas the evidence is overwhelming  that Trump had no use for science in formulating his policy goals, whether it comes to climate change, pollution, or covid-19. 

And it's useful to point out that no one could know what Trump's plans were for his next term since he himself couldn't manage to say what they were going to be even when questioned by uncritical interviewers such as Sean Hannity  and Maria Bartiromo.  Instead, when asked,  he just bounced off into blather. So such a question directed at a Trump supporter would have been pointless. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tug said:

Yes indeed it’s like a dark miasma has been blown away a new clean healing breeze wafting across the country and the world for that matter we are back World it’s been a long dark four years we are back!!!

It's nice to see there is no rioting and looting as would have been the case had Trump won. Trump did some good things but it's time for a new leader. Joe will be there for 4 years but then what? Can the US keep relying on people in their 70's to run the country?   

• Like 2

22 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Guess all the businesses who boarded up their stores can remove and restore all the plywood. If Trump won It would have been needed. 

Interesting ;

So you suggest that Democrats would not have accepted a loss gracefully , yet ignore the fact that Trump and some of his minions have actually shown that they haven't !

On 11/8/2020 at 9:42 AM, placeholder said:

Do you understand that Biden offered a detailed plan that included increased financial support for social security, increased financial support for Obamacare, increased support for creating alternative energy infrastructure...etc? Whereas Trump never offered a straight answer even to friendly interviewers like Hannity and Bartiromo?

Of course, Trump was a fraud. And his economic mismanagement of the country, putting the US into unrecoverable debt for generations to come is criminal. The only way out is what he and the Fed have been trying to gin up for the past two years---sky high inflation. But is Biden any better? He wants to create more debt than Trump. Where is the money for Obamacare, which I support, going to come from, if he is going to give free medical care to 20 million illegal aliens, which is also in his "plans?" And how is all this Trump-Biden spending going to effect me as someone living in Thailand? A little over two weeks ago, you got 31.30 baht to the dollar. Today, you get 30.50. The dollar is crashing, because no matter who is president, they plan to create money out of thin air. Will Biden be worse? Could easily be so. Trump was indeed an imbecile who only had one strategy, inflate the stock market bubble and make wealth inequality as great as possible. What is Biden's plan for that? I know Elizabeth Warren had one.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, John Drake said:

A little over two weeks ago, you got 31.30 baht to the dollar. Today, you get 30.50. The dollar is crashing, because no matter who is president, they plan to create money out of thin air.

Still better than the 25 baht to a $ when I came here. Trump inherited something around $15,000,000,000 debt, he actually did pretty well, IMHO. I expect the debt to increase under Biden and yes, the US$ might become worthless soon, but you can't blame Trump.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Still better than the 25 baht to a $ when I came here. Trump inherited something around $15,000,000,000 debt, he actually did pretty well, IMHO. I expect the debt to increase under Biden and yes, the US$ might become worthless soon, but you can't blame Trump.

The U.S. national debt has ballooned under the administration of President Donald Trump, increasing by nearly $7 trillion in less than four years.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Of course, Trump was a fraud. And his economic mismanagement of the country, putting the US into unrecoverable debt for generations to come is criminal. The only way out is what he and the Fed have been trying to gin up for the past two years---sky high inflation. But is Biden any better? He wants to create more debt than Trump. Where is the money for Obamacare, which I support, going to come from, if he is going to give free medical care to 20 million illegal aliens, which is also in his "plans?" And how is all this Trump-Biden spending going to effect me as someone living in Thailand? A little over two weeks ago, you got 31.30 baht to the dollar. Today, you get 30.50. The dollar is crashing, because no matter who is president, they plan to create money out of thin air. Will Biden be worse? Could easily be so. Trump was indeed an imbecile who only had one strategy, inflate the stock market bubble and make wealth inequality as great as possible. What is Biden's plan for that? I know Elizabeth Warren had one.

I don't have the details of Biden's economic plan, but a number of economists have already said Biden's plan would be better for the economy than Trump's.  Increased spending?  Probably, but it'd be offset by increasing taxes on corporations and rich folks.  Removal of tariffs should help both businesses and consumers.  As usual, there should be some winners and losers.  As for the stock market...

[The results are in: The stock market likes Joe Biden]

[Wall Street was already expecting a Biden victory as the the election appeared to tip in the Democrat's favor throughout last week. But investors are now able to react with more certainty: CNN projected Saturday that Biden would become President of the United States as his path to victory in Pennsylvania appeared to deliver him enough electoral votes.]

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/08/investing/global-stocks/index.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

The U.S. national debt has ballooned under the administration of President Donald Trump, increasing by nearly $7 trillion in less than four years.

It increased more under Obama(8 billion), which was an even larger percent.

Reagan increased it by even more.

Roosevelt takes number one spot(in percentage). 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Berkshire said:

I don't have the details of Biden's economic plan, but a number of economists have already said Biden's plan would be better for the economy than Trump's.  Increased spending?  Probably, but it'd be offset by increasing taxes on corporations and rich folks.  Removal of tariffs should help both businesses and consumers.  As usual, there should be some winners and losers.  As for the stock market...

[Wall Street was already expecting a Biden victory as the the election appeared to tip in the Democrat's favor throughout last week. But investors are now able to react with more certainty: CNN projected Saturday that Biden would become President of the United States as his path to victory in Pennsylvania appeared to deliver him enough electoral votes.]

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/08/investing/global-stocks/index.html

Historically the US economy has faired better under each Democrat President....by quite a margin 2% to 4%...from memory.

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

It increased more under Obama(8 billion), which was an even larger percent.

Reagan increased it by even more.

Roosevelt takes number one spot(in percentage). 

To be fair, Obama was dealing with the fallout from the largest financial crisis in history bar the Great Depression (Roosevelt).

Edited by Surelynot
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

As for the stock market...

And just why would I think that is a good thing? More wealth inequality. What good does it do to increase the taxes on "rich people," when those rich people mainly have their wealth in assets such as the stock market or ownership of items not taxable. How about taxing people's current stock value?  Hmmm. I think the AOC person proposed that. I think it's a great idea. Sure go ahead and increase the tax on people on their income over $400,000 per year (I would make it $200,000) but tax their stock portfolio value for the same amounts. And, btw, how is opening the border and driving down people's working class wages, as Biden is promising, going to reduce wealth inequality?

• Like 1

Just now, Neeranam said:

Hmm. My point was that Trump was better for the economy than Obama. Many US people will be paying for removing Trump, just wait. Many voted with their hearts, not their pocket books. 

As many pundits and economists repeatedly point out...Trump simply benefited from a continuation Obama's economic policies......I'm not an economist so this is only an observation, not a comment as such.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

As many pundits and economists repeatedly point out...Trump simply benefited from a continuation Obama's economic policies......I'm not an economist so this is only an observation, not a comment as such.

Trump reminds me of Takhsin. Great for the economy but lacking in other areas. 

13 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

To be fair, Obama was dealing with the fallout from the largest financial crisis in history bar the Great Depression (Roosevelt).

Trump had to deal with the Covid. Look what the unemployment figures did under him until Covid. 

Look at the GDP for this year, a record! 

• Like 1