Health officials chasing down Phuket connection over Krabi COVID patient

webfact

1 hour ago, Ganesh108 said:

Probably works in an Indian restaurant, not hard to figure out. There are many Indian chefs in Thailand. 

Thais in general detest Indian food. Personally I love it.

I am not sure being a short order cook or waiter in an Indian restaurant, or any other restaurant for that matter qualifies you for a work permit

46 minutes ago, Pikasso said:

My Indian mate owns an Indian restaurant and can't get a work permit for his own brother to work in his kitchen, so not that easy!!

Exactly what I thought was the situation. 

I was led to believe that unless you are at managerial level or the owner of the business it is almost impossible.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

One article said that but in today's BP it says he came in February...which makes more sense given the travel restrictions that were in effect 3 months ago

Thanks...:wai:,

yes I saw that later, and it explains better why he is here and can apply for work permit (wife/family).

6 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I didn't need to do a medical or COVID-19 test when I renewed last month?

Am I special?

Thailand's Employment Department has issued a new regulation that requires a medical certificate for all initial and renewal work permit applications, including those filed under the Board of Investment (BOI), the Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand (IEAT) and the Petroleum Act, which previously did not require a medical certificate. The regulation is effective August 19, 2019.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hasitha77 said:

Thailand's Employment Department has issued a new regulation that requires a medical certificate for all initial and renewal work permit applications, including those filed under the Board of Investment (BOI), the Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand (IEAT) and the Petroleum Act, which previously did not require a medical certificate. The regulation is effective August 19, 2019.

My work permit is issued under the Petroleum Act, and I did not have to do any medical on renewal.

1 minute ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

My work permit is issued under the Petroleum Act, and I did not have to do any medical on renewal.

I dont know much details about it. may be your company tipped them off to make things easy ????

4 minutes ago, hasitha77 said:

I dont know much details about it. may be your company tipped them off to make things easy ????

We do everything by the book and through one of the industry's most respected logistics firms. 

FWIW I believe your information to be correct, not trying to disprove it here. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MasterBaker said:

"small amount" is this something you can measure? say, if i have 3mg of the virus in my body...

Yes, it is easily determined - the PCR is a cycle test (often referred to as a photocopier test) - each cycle multiplies the RNA into DNA - cycle one is virtually undetectable but each subsequent cycle multiplies the virus - if say they can detect the virus after 5-10 cycles then there is a massive infection of the tested cells...if they run the 20-30 cycles then there is very little infection.

https://www.genome.gov/about-genomics/fact-sheets/Polymerase-Chain-Reaction-Fact-Sheet

Well a  few Burmese  tested  .... 1000, already inThailand  ,,,How  was an Indian  let in?...India  is in lockdown   000,s  dead 

just a time bomb  waiting to explode 

Wait until all the Chinese  are   back in  for visits

Then see  virus really  take hold this  time.....hope for the poor Thai  I am wrong

Good  Luck Thailand 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Yeah, scary times.  But the economy is in the toilet and many are going out of business.  There's got to be a way to help the tourist economy without letting the virus get out of control.

No easy answers.

Here's one:

Get the hotels/guest houses, restaurants/bars etc etc reduce costs so that domestic tourism can thrive.

8 hours ago, MasterBaker said:

"small amount" is this something you can measure? say, if i have 3mg of the virus in my body...

Yes its called Viral Load and is determined via testing. 

Now if that correct testing has been performed, and if that is the genuine result, is not clear. However it is of course something that can be measured. 

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I didn't need to do a medical or COVID-19 test when I renewed last month?

Am I special?

Renewed my work permit in krabi in August, a Covid test was required then,,,,, I did hear they were not requiring the Covid test anymore in September,,,,,,obviously now they are requiring it again,,,,,thailand seems to like testing ferang ...think they need to start testing Thais again.

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

He was doing a medical to apply for a work permit, which means he did not have one yet.

Medicals are not required for annual renewals as far as I am aware.

He opened the restaurant in April 2019.

He went to Singapore for a short while and returned in February this year.

He has a work permit.

I have to provide a medical certificate for my work permit renewals - every year for the last 18 years. Last one was April this year. I was not tested for Covid.

He may have has a fever prompting the medical staff to delve further.

The medical certificate may be a local requirement?

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, taninthai said:

Renewed my work permit in krabi in August, a Covid test was required then,,,,, I did hear they were not requiring the Covid test anymore in September,,,,,,obviously now they are requiring it again,,,,,thailand seems to like testing ferang ...think they need to start testing Thais again.

It is a pure money maker for them to test foreigners and if found asymptomatic place them into an isolation ward at a hospital.  Those costs will be between 200K Baht and 300K Baht, so as I said before a pure money maker for them as well as the foreigner paying for the tests.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Dukeleto said:

The big question is not who he has given it to but who gave it to him? I guess thats not really important in the context of the official line that there is no Thai to Thai domestic transmission in Thailand!

That isn't the official line. Show me ANY statement from a Thai official that tates there is NO local community transmission. But what I can guarantee that whatever transmission there is, is at an extrememly low level. There hasn't been local going to hospital and testing positive for covid for months. 

8 minutes ago, taninthai said:

I renewed my WP last month. No covid test required. It would only be required for those recently entering to country. 

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So he has been in the country for a long time already and prior to the closures if the borders.  Who knows how, when or where he picked up the virus as it seems he has traveled extensively.  Good luck on the track and trace...

By this weekend 290 people tested negative for Corvid.

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

I renewed my WP last month. No covid test required. It would only be required for those recently entering to country. 

I had been in the country for 1 year when I renewed my work permit in  krabi,it was a new requirement to get Covid test for work permit applications from around July/August time In krabi province no other province seemed to be requiring it.

cost was 2500 bht in government hospital or 6100 in private hospital.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, w94005m said:

Pneumonia pre covid was the 3rd largest killer in Thailand. So they fall in there extremely easily, unless every death is tested, which it is not.

Three of wife’s parents neighbours died within a week in issan . No reason stated for any of them but they were all over 70 and one woman she said was at her house perfectly fit a few days before talking away to her and her parents . This was within less than a km radius and my wife had been at 3 different hospitals with her father the week before all this and everyone of them was packed to the seams with people. Not once was her father tested or asked about COVID when he was admitted to two of these hospitals to stay during the two weeks before . 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

Three of wife’s parents neighbours died within a week in issan . No reason stated for any of them but they were all over 70 and one woman she said was at her house perfectly fit a few days before talking away to her and her parents . This was within less than a km radius and my wife had been at 3 different hospitals with her father the week before all this and everyone of them was packed to the seams with people. Not once was her father tested or asked about COVID when he was admitted to two of these hospitals to stay during the two weeks before . 

I recall reports of significant increases in Viral Pneumonia cases in December and Jan. 

Back track though the Thai Mistry of Public Heath and those same reports are no longer present (they’ve been removed).

I recall a very specific report on 3rd March referring to the increase in Viral Pneumonia cases, shortly afterward that report was removed and the count number for Covid-19 started from scratch. 

IMO: Covid-19 passed though Thailand in Nov / Dec / Jan  / Feb... and at the time was simply considered Viral Pneumonia because no one knew much about Covid-19 until late Jan. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TERMINATOR3AB said:

Keep   your   borders  closed  Thailand  

Wait for a working  vacine 

Just  news....  

A  new  Mutant  Virus  has emerged in denmark  and  transferred  to  UK

The  scary  thing is that is shows  resistance  to all  trial  vacines  ...vacines  will have no effect

It was  from Minks...  little animals  bred for there  skins ...found  so far in 8  farms in denmark....workers .. friends  and  other  contacts have  the  virus  now in UK

Again animals  can  spread this virus  

Chinese  still eating bats .... so  care must  be taken  before  letting Chinese  back in Thailand  

Mutant  strains of this  clever  Virus  can still  occur 

Let your  super  rich carry Thailand ....and  the huge  Rich  Companies  

Start  to think of human  life  ....not  profit  ...care for the Thai people  with this huge  division  of  income  gaps ...forget  tourism  for now 

Good   Luck  Thailand 

This pretty much nulls all current vaccines, so expect more lockdowns globally and Thai borders to remain closed... I’ve not seen my children and loving wife in Bangkok for nearly a year because of these restriction and its impacting them significantly not seeing me....breaks my heart.

Under care at a hospital although exhibiting no symptoms.

So in other words he's under arrest.  ????

And now let me get this straight - no symptoms.  So why did he get tested?

Does anyone want to start asking questions here?  Oh I forgot, it's Thailand.  

2 hours ago, TERMINATOR3AB said:

Keep   your   borders  closed  Thailand  

Wait for a working  vacine 

Just  news....  

A  new  Mutant  Virus  has emerged in denmark  and  transferred  to  UK

The  scary  thing is that is shows  resistance  to all  trial  vacines  ...vacines  will have no effect

It was  from Minks...  little animals  bred for there  skins ...found  so far in 8  farms in denmark....workers .. friends  and  other  contacts have  the  virus  now in UK

Again animals  can  spread this virus  

Chinese  still eating bats .... so  care must  be taken  before  letting Chinese  back in Thailand  

Mutant  strains of this  clever  Virus  can still  occur 

Let your  super  rich carry Thailand ....and  the huge  Rich  Companies  

Start  to think of human  life  ....not  profit  ...care for the Thai people  with this huge  division  of  income  gaps ...forget  tourism  for now 

Good   Luck  Thailand 

It hasn't 'transferred to the UK'. What has happened is that the UK government has actually responded quickly (!!!) and banned entry to anyone coming from Denmark. Cases of the virus in mink have also been discovered in south east Sweden and a single case in the Netherlands.

In all cases, the mink have caught the virus from humans. The problem comes if the minks are then able to pass the virus on to other humans.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-54867653

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-54842643

31 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Under care at a hospital although exhibiting no symptoms.

So in other words he's under arrest.  ????

And now let me get this straight - no symptoms.  So why did he get tested?

Does anyone want to start asking questions here?  Oh I forgot, it's Thailand.  

He was tested for his work permit. Apparently a requirement in Krabi.  Yes, even asymptomatic you are isolated and it will cost between 200k thb and 300k thb by the time he exits without being treated 

13 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Who cares.  This is a big deal.  Probably got it from migrant workers crossing over from Burma illegally. 

Sadly, seems we can't let our guard down just yet.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/11/06/thai-ministry-of-public-health-announces-60th-reported-covid-19-death-this-morning-three-infected-burmese-immigrants-being-sent-back-to-home-country-for-health-treatment/

Which you will never can. Even a vaccine will not keep you completely safe. Quess we have to deal with this virus and pick up the normal life asap. You can stay in a lock down forever but that wont make the virus disappear. The only way to deal with it is to let it go arround and build up immunity. There is no other way im afraid.