Thai auto industry must adapt quickly to EV production, govt warns

webfact

Thai auto industry must adapt quickly to EV production, govt warns

By THE NATION

800_5616b4d27e0c0c5.jpg?v=1605109931

The Energy Ministry has warned that businesses in Thailand’s automotive industry must adapt quickly to the growing trend for electric vehicles (EVs).

Prasert Sinsukpraser, who heads the ministry’s Department of Alternative Energy Development and Efficiency, said the Thai EV industry would grow rapidly between 2020 and 2024, including the manufacture of batteries.

The growth would have a big impact on Thailand’s auto industry, the second biggest in Southeast Asia, since manufacturers will find it difficult to adapt their production methods from internal-combustion-engine vehicles to EVs.

Prasert explained that conventional vehicles consist of around 20,000 to 30,000 auto parts, while EVs use only 2,000 to 3,000. Thai manufacturers of gear systems, engines and axels would find the transition especially difficult, he said.

“Producers must adapt themselves to the EV market. The battery will be the core of EV production. And if Thailand can be a leader in the EV battery industry, we can be winner in EV industry.”

The government would offer incentives for EV battery producers to build both production and assembly plants in Thailand, he added

It also aims to boost demand by promote EV battery usage, first within government subsidiaries and then for the public.

Noting rapid expansion of the global EV battery market, he said battery sales in China had increased by 175 per cent in 2018 alone, driven by the surging EV industry.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30397789

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-12

• Like 1

Always amazes me that humans think they have the "right" or to pollute the atmosphere.  Oh I cannot carry a bag of groceries 1 kilometer home, I must burn fuel and go fast to get to a store.  I cannot wait for the MRT, BTS (BKK) or a baht bus (Pattaya) to get to where I am going,  my time and convenience is more important than the health of our planet.  I need to drive my car outside the city to enjoy "nature" or take a vacation.

All BS

Delivery trucks, taxis, trains, planes should all go electric.  Personal vehicles should not be allowed. Autonomous EV's can deliver your groceries or take you to a hospital when speed is of the essence.

Climate change needs to be reversed quickly.  As populations grow, the need to stop burning fossil fuels is more important than ever.  

Done with my take on reality and the human condition.  Thank you 

Edited by Skallywag
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Wouldn't even consider an ev until there's a decent network of charging stations available.

What is the max mileage you can drive an ev   when the tank starts to run dry I think it is going to take a lot longer than 15 minutes pull up to the pump time to recharge

6 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Always amazes me that humans think they have the "right" or to pollute the atmosphere.  Oh I cannot carry a bag of groceries 1 kilometer home, I must burn fuel and go fast to get to a store.  I cannot wait for the MRT, BTS (BKK) or a baht bus (Pattaya) to get to where I am going,  my time and convenience is more important than the health of our planet.  I need to drive my car outside the city to enjoy "nature" or take a vacation.

All BS

Delivery trucks, taxis, trains, planes should all go electric.  Personal vehicles should not be allowed. Autonomous EV's can deliver your groceries or take you to a hospital when speed is of the essence.

Climate change needs to be reversed quickly.  As populations grow, the need to stop burning fossil fuels is more important than ever.  

Done with my take on reality and the human condition.  Thank you 

Don't forget we have to kill all the cows to stop them farting

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Skallywag said:

As populations grow

There's the problem  right there  too much "population"   either we find a way to control that or mother nature will,

well I hope she finds a way,  either that or we find a way to get to the Moon then Mars  and who knows where else in the rest of the cosmos to keep up the ever increasing "population" expansion.

18 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

What is the max mileage you can drive an ev   when the tank starts to run dry I think it is going to take a lot longer than 15 minutes pull up to the pump time to recharge

You may be pleasantly surprised. Cutting edge EV range 300+++ miles, charge time at a super-charger 15-30 mins.

Of course, there's still the power infrastructure issue, but many EV users will charge overnight at home (slowly, but you are sleeping) and few will use a full "tank" every day.

Madam has decreed that our next new vehicle will be an EV, with my normal commute I would never need to visit a charger outside our home again.