Irish PM says on Brexit: Biden wants a deal so Johnson should knuckle down

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Hi from France said:

I feel the UK is ruled by people just like you.

Your perception is limited to your own daily life, the rest you just don't care about, you are unwilling / unable to use expertise and repeating slogans like "take back control" as the UK has precisely... lost control.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/nov/15/if-only-there-were-a-vaccine-protect-britain-from-brexit?CMP=

Unfortunately forums are full of people like you who only read responses to their posts, I don't need slogans, I don't need people to tell me life in the UK is on the decline when it is not, I do not need the EU blaming the UK when clearly there are issues which the EU is not capable of solving, namely making a trade deal with the UK when members of the EU might be expected to increase contributions or loose benefits!! Due to the UK departure, understandable, but lets not hide this important fact.

How many times, Brexit is decided, people in the UK are not against a trade deal beneficial to both parties, working together, I am becoming increasingly doubtful the EU has the capability to achieve a trade deal.

Time will tell,  no end of projection, economic reasoning and procrastination will budge a big problem within the EU. Yes caused by the UK departure but not an issue the UK can resolve!!

So throw all the figures calculations projections wifi comments into the mix add the Irish, and good old Joe, all you like, the bottom line is are the EU capable of making a suitable trade deal with the UK who has now left. yes or no? Perhaps that is just too bloody simple for the 'experts' who feel the need to ruminate over every option and possibility!!

What will it matter how the UK respond if France veto the deal because they are not happy with their fisheries allocation - you see the problem!!  The EU has no solution other than to try and force the UK to agree to all their demands, is that realistic? Is that negotiation? No, the inflexibility of the EU is the problem not the UK.

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1

Well I guess on a level playing field that would work both ways. But any sensible person would conclude that is the wish of neither of the negotiation teams. However it may well be the EU for all it's bluster and indignation is powerless to prevent it

9 hours ago, 473geo said:

Government stimulus and support, create jobs, subsidise automation to cut labour costs, there are possibilities, maybe one has to be a bit of a narcissist to work it out  

I’m not sure what the reference to ‘narcissist’ is but you clearly didn’t think through the fact automation is rapidly replacing people’s jobs.

I also take it that ‘Government stimulus and support’ is limited to warm words of encouragement and not financial backing, which would be in breach of WTO and any other agreements the U.K. wishes to trade under.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m not sure what the reference to ‘narcissist’ is but you clearly didn’t think through the fact automation is rapidly replacing people’s jobs.

I also take it that ‘Government stimulus and support’ is limited to warm words of encouragement and not financial backing, which would be in breach of WTO and any other agreements the U.K. wishes to trade under.

Could you explain how automated manufacturing will replace jobs that do not currently exist, and how assistance with set up costs breach WTO rules ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hi from France said:

I see what you mean, but in this level playing field, the EU sets most of the rules. 

The good news is there are rules, IF there is a deal.

Absent a deal, the big players USA, EU China will impose their conditions as we go.

..Doing what is best for them, each time on each sector and the UK will be Lebanized. 

Sure and while the UK will 'forced' to abide by WTO guidelines other countries will take attempt to take advantage ah Ok

24 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Could you explain how automated manufacturing will replace jobs that do not currently exist, and how assistance with set up costs breach WTO rules ?

Fact - Automation is replacing workers across all sectors of industry.

Explain how industries that don’t employ people help the economy?

wrt subsidies, you’ve already expressed your disbelief in anything that you can’t see for yourself without any intermediary - so I’ll direct you to the WTO

https://www.trade.gov/trade-guide-wto-subsidies

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Fact - Automation is replacing workers across all sectors of industry.

Explain how industries that don’t employ people help the economy?

wrt subsidies, you’ve already expressed your disbelief in anything that you can’t see for yourself without any intermediary - so I’ll direct you to the WTO

https://www.trade.gov/trade-guide-wto-subsidies

Automation requires controllers, goods also require delivery to local markets, logistics if travelling overseas, for example - where a business did not previously exist this is additional employment

I don't need a guide to the WTO thanks I have already experienced moving companies to countries where 'preferential' introductory 'rates' were offered

17 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

WTO treaty rules are inoperative, as there is no means to enforce them anymore

You know the WTO's Appellate Body has been paralyzed by Trump since December 10, 2019 don't you ?

Funny that, countries looking to 'level the playing field' with import tarrifs

• Confused 1

Automation requires controllers, goods also require delivery to local markets, logistics if travelling overseas, for example - where a business did not previously exist this is additional employment

I don't need a guide to the WTO thanks I have already experienced moving companies to countries where 'preferential' introductory 'rates' were offered

You clearly have no idea about what automation is doing, for example, logistics and specifically delivery are squarely in the cross hairs of automation.

But I spotted your switch, ‘cheap labour overseas to automation’ at home.

So either cheap foreign labour gets the jobs or automation does.

Oh, and I’m an automation engineer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You clearly have no idea about what automation is doing, for example, logistics and specifically delivery are squarely in the cross hairs of automation.

But I spotted your switch, ‘cheap labour overseas to automation’ at home.

So either cheap foreign labour gets the jobs or automation does.

Oh, and I’m an automation engineer.

Without automation you would be out of a job - remember I said replace cheap labour abroad with automation at home  to negate the cheap labour costs - new business more employed like you - you don't have to act dim to try and make a point

You think bringing business back will affect the automation in progress right now? I never said the current automation plan will cease you just make things up to suit your rhetoric not clever at all

Without automation you would be out of a job - remember I said replace cheap labour abroad with automation at home  to negate the cheap labour costs - new business more employed like you - you don't have to act dim to try and make a point

You think bringing business back will affect the automation in progress right now? I never said the current automation plan will cease you just make things up to suit your rhetoric not clever at all

I’m not arguing against automation, I’m pointing out the flaws in your belief that the U.K. is somehow going to bring manufacturing back to the UK.

it’s not going to happen.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

If you read the article you linked it provides no statements on any manufacturing having been returned to the U.K.

They will when brexit & C19 is out the way. 

Until then as always we can agree to disagree. 

Just now, 473geo said:

Covid over, pound falls, tourists pour into the UK to benefit from good exchange rate, who knows Europe might get the spin off,  UK won't begrudge that Rob that's not who we are ????

Who would want to visit the UK ? Been there once the weather is as bad as the Netherlands. I would say the UK is not a great holiday country like Spain or France. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Who would want to visit the UK ? Been there once the weather is as bad as the Netherlands. I would say the UK is not a great holiday country like Spain or France. 

You would, and for sure an anti-Brit would think like that....:coffee1:

Just now, 473geo said:

They'll come for the fish and chips Rob

Come on Brit food is as tasty as Dutch food (not tasty at all). France is known for its food the Brits and Dutch are not. 

Was surprised to see that there are still 39 million people going there, less then half of that of Spain but still more then expected.

I can only say I visited once, prefer Germany over the UK (Food and holiday wise). Prefer Spain and France over Germany. 

• Like 1

A post linking to the Bangkok Post, which isn't allowed on this forum, has been removed along with several replies.

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com
In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Come on Brit food is as tasty as Dutch food (not tasty at all). France is known for its food the Brits and Dutch are not. 

Was surprised to see that there are still 39 million people going there, less then half of that of Spain but still more then expected.

I can only say I visited once, prefer Germany over the UK (Food and holiday wise). Prefer Spain and France over Germany. 

You are out of touch with many Eastern alternatives to English food in the UK Rob but yes I don't see many Dutch restaurants, or German for that matter