It's back! Lousy air quality...ugh

Guderian

2 minutes ago, Guderian said:

The AQI is bad and rising this morning, 170 an hour ago and over 180 now. Much higher and we'll be in the list of the top 10 most polluted cities in the world.

Way to go Thailand - not!

181740872_AQI21-1-21.jpg.d2be3b2a56af39f77469c7689b2c8b4f.jpg

The air pollution is dreadful today....Buildings only 1 mile away or less are very fuzzy....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

The air pollution is dreadful today....Buildings only 1 mile away or less are very fuzzy....

Thank you very much for keeping us updated like this. Maybe some of the pollution is due to the energy Big Brother Hardware is using????

Just joking;;;;

31 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

About a year ago, you may remember, we had much the same problem. That prompted me to buy my first N95 face mask. Little did I know that, all too soon, such things would become a normal part of our lives all year long.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

Most of the pollution is coming from Bangkok. At 14:15 on 21 Jan  2021 it is over 500 US AQI in Samut Sakhon, just south of Bangkok. Here in Pattaya it is in the 160-180 range according to IQair Airvisual. Less than 50 is considered safe.

1 hour ago, Rimmer said:

Unfortunately a burning ban announced today untill tomorrow will have absolute 0 effect

it's just hot air (No pun intented)

Thailand needs desperatly a permanent ban on outdoor burning with a REAL enforcement

and fines REALLY paid. Untill then people will continue to die in this unbreathable air

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Unfortunately a burning ban announced today untill tomorrow will have absolute 0 effect

it's just hot air (No pun intented)

Thailand needs desperatly a permanent ban on outdoor burning with a REAL enforcement

and fines REALLY paid. Untill then people will continue to die in this unbreathable air

Does that also mean we cannot BBQ anymore, obviously in full respect of distancing, etc....:cheesy:

32 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Does that also mean we cannot BBQ anymore, obviously in full respect of distancing, etc....:cheesy:

I am afraid even a BBQ contributes to the bad air quality

only one doesn't have an impact, but millions have

and we all know how people like BBQ

now it's a choice, a tasty food on the grill at the moment

or healthy lungs for you and your family, including your children, for all the life ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Banana7 said:

At midnight 22 January 2021, here in Pattaya, now is the best quality air in the last 24 hours, and also the best quality air forecasted for the next 24 hours, the air quality is a dire 168 AQI. Peak should be about 4 P.M. on Saturday. Be glad you're not in Bangkok, where AQI is above 600!

Here are the details from https://air.plumelabs.com/air-quality-in-Pattaya-6LX1

AQI

• 168 PM2.5
  • 156 PM10
  • 8 NO2
  • 137 O3

µg/m³

• 118 PM2.5
  • 168 PM10
  • 15 NO2
  • 218 O3

Some news articles claim the pollution is coming from burning rice fields but if you look at
and click on air quality, you'll see the pollution is coming from Bangkok, not rice fields burning in Northern Thailand.

Saudi Arabia along with North Africa has been hammered with pollution for months I guess they cant much blame the rice and sugarcane farmers burning there as easy scapegoats like they can in Thailand....

• 2 weeks later...

Bloody hell this chem-fog pollutions stuff just won't go away....Its been hanging around Pattaya for months now......Even the media has gotten board with trotting out their whipping boy of farmers burning fields...Now they don't say anything about the source of the pollution....

Another bad day today....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

For the most part, the poor air quality in the last month hasn't really bothered me as it hasn't smelt of anything in particular. Occasionally, some idiot (I live in South Pattaya so it's not likely to be a farmer) burns rubbish and you can smell the smoke, but mostly it's been odourless. Now this morning I can smell something outside that's not smoke from burning rubbish, but it's equally unpleasant and I can't identify it. Does anyone know what it is (assuming you can smell the same niff)?

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

This morning 2 February 2021 202 US AQI in Pattaya.

Boy if you guys lived in a high condo facing east towards the mountains you could really see good the pollution Pattaya has been swimming in every day for months...... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Boy if you guys lived in a high condo facing east towards the mountains you could really see good the pollution Pattaya has been swimming in every day for months...... 

True

i have this view from my balcony and it's really an apocalyptic spectacle

this permanent smog looks like a sci-fi movie about the end of the world

unfortunately it's real and happening now

sad, really sad

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

True

i have this view from my balcony and it's really an apocalyptic spectacle

this permanent smog looks like a sci-fi movie about the end of the world

unfortunately it's real and happening now

sad, really sad

Are you sure it's not a Covid-swarm??? 555555

• Haha 1

Here in Jomtien, I haven't opened my windows for days.  Trying to get a hermetical seal but the <deleted> gets in anyways.

Air purifier is on constantly this week.  I can usually look out my window from the 15th floor and see all down the 

beach to Bang Saray.  I can't see squat these days.

• Like 1

I have been in Pattaya for many years....I honestly never remember the air quality being particularly bad...Sure there were some bad days or string of days here and there,but as I remember it did not stay long....

For you guys that have been paying more attention to this than me, how do you remember past years?......Was the air quality this bad for this long before?

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

I have been in Pattaya for many years....I honestly never remember the air quality being particularly bad...Sure there were some bad days or string of days here and there,but as I remember it did not stay long....

For you guys that have been paying more attention to this than me, how do you remember past years?......Was the air quality this bad for this long before?

I am sure it was already a nightmare last year

not sure for 2 years ago in Pattaya, but it was a

big concern in Chiang Mai area 3 or 4 years ago already

and it seems to be worse years after years

it coud be linked to the fall on the rice price after the end

of the Taksin rice schem with the farmers skiping in mass

to sugar cane instead

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1