Thai embassies scrap 500k THB financial requirement for single entry tourist visa

1 hour ago, 2long said:

I think you will find that a huge reason for the positive test case numbers is that in Europe they're increasing testing all the time, hence more positives.

That would only be true if the percentage of positives as compared to the overall number was remaining the same - but it's not. The percentage of tests coming back positive is increasing just about everywhere, showing that the disease actually is more prevalent.

Just to take France as an example, an article in Pharmaceutical Technology points out that:

This increase in cases cannot be fully explained by increase in testing capacity, as the percentage of cases tested positive continues to rise steadily.

CoVid-19 resurgence in France

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NorthernRyland said:

I continue to be confused. Are you saying there are still SETV available for Americans? Why did they introduce the new 9 month tourist visa then? I thought the borders were only open to particular categories of visas that didn't include the common tourist.

The STV (the new 9 month tourist Visa) was their first attempt to attract tourists.

But it was limited to applicants from low-risk covid countries only, and also carried the mandatory 400K/40K health-insurance requirement.

That STV did never fly, and some 2 weeks ago they made a new attempt by introducing the 60-day SETV open for everybody irespective of age or country you are coming from.  But they slammed the 500K THB for 6 months on your bank-account, on the requirements.  And obviously that was of course an obstacle for those interested in that option (the 500K THB was not the problem, but the fact that you needed to show that you had parked it for 6 months on your bank-account).

So now that 6-month 500K THB requirement has been dumped.

If they now clear the confusion about the insurance needed for such application, then we might see a higher influx of people applying for that SETV.  Of course, with the mandatory 15-day quarantaine on arrival, it is not for family holidays but for those with a compelling reason to return to Thailand and this for a sufficiently long time.

I take it that ALL visa categories are now available? 

Not all of them. There still several that are still not available.

Where does that leave us with the STV? The last I heard it had some steep financial requirements but they've been changing the rules constantly.

They have already dropped the financials for the STV.

4 hours ago, baansgr said:

With most Western countries experiencing upwards of 20,000 new infections a day....do you seriously want Thailand to stop or even reduce quarateine...The figures already for ASQ show over 700 have returned carrying the virus

Yep.  It seems that many in society are more interested in money than the well being of others.  Shame that but will never change.

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I think peole would rather the quarantine be removed, the insurance isnt much and probably not a bad idea

Yes remove the way over price of insurance. Than check to see if they were vaccinated before, if so  than remove the quarantine. Put a fast track on the best imported vaccines. Also forget the wrist bands, I have been told Thailand is a free country so this might upset a few tourist. Also after we all had the vaccine lets forget about the mask, it's getting very hard to tell the pretty girls from the not so pretty ones.

Dear friends!

Don`t worry, there will be other requirements tomorrow, or next week!

They are working HARD to streamline and make things easy/hard.

It never stops!!  Surprises, good or bad, coming up, every day!

Cheers!

Clearly they don’t seem to understand let alone accept the fact that their requirements to apply for a single tourist visa are simply outrageous ????????‍♂️
They ask way too much money ( remember their thick mentality is that westerners are all rich WRONG ???? ) While I agree and understand the fact that a fit to fly and or COVID negative test certificate is necessary in order to get on board of a plane I strongly disagree to the fact that you have to have that kind of money which most people haven’t especially in the current climate plus they have to pay with their money for the quarantine hotel stay as well ?!
The least they should do is  refraining from asking people to have that huge amount of money in their bank accounts  which only makes restrictions even harder creating disgust  and eyes rolling to come to Thailand just to be ripped off but also asking to pay for the their quarantine hotel bills where they are supposed to stay !  Show some Thai hospitality for a change ! Start to pay at least for their quarantine Hotel bills instead of having the same destructive Thai mentality which is only based on ripping off westerners ????????‍♂️

5 hours ago, JomtienRay said:

Amazing..!!

dropping the 500,000 to attract more tourists.. 
I see they have also just introduced a discount domestic travel and accommodation plan for expats living currently in Thailand..
Apparently the penny has only just dropped that this could be a good source of increasing domestic tourism..!!
Truly amazing..

I missed that. Where do I find it.?

4 minutes ago, StrandedBusinessPerson said:

Really, I missed it. Beach villas still look like a good deal from here, but I am really far away at the moment ???? 

the price has nothing to do with it. will it increase in value.no.i remember people that i knew for many years telling me.how there condo s was worth some up to 8 million and he sold for 3.2 million.he had paid 5 million when new,in pattaya.there are at this moment over 2000 condos for rent. 8000 baht a month will get you a new one bedroom with huge communial pool. 100,000 baht a year with water and gas.same type to buy are minimum 4million.now this is something that will loose value from new. do the maths.and also go look condo,s and housing that was built 30 years ago.if its not already pulled down.it is empty and falling apart. unless its a bar area.and there going to get pulled down aswell soon.

13 minutes ago, Ramdas said:

Clearly they don’t seem to understand let alone accept the fact that their requirements to apply for a single tourist visa are simply outrageous ????????‍♂️
They ask way too much money ( remember their thick mentality is that westerners are all rich WRONG ???? ) While I agree and understand the fact that a fit to fly and or COVID negative test certificate is necessary in order to get on board of a plane I strongly disagree to the fact that you have to have that kind of money which most people haven’t especially in the current climate plus they have to pay with their money for the quarantine hotel stay as well ?!
The least they should do is  refraining from asking people to have that huge amount of money in their bank accounts  which only makes restrictions even harder creating disgust  and eyes rolling to come to Thailand just to be ripped off but also asking to pay for the their quarantine hotel bills where they are supposed to stay !  Show some Thai hospitality for a change ! Start to pay at least for their quarantine Hotel bills instead of having the same destructive Thai mentality which is only based on ripping off westerners ????????‍♂️

Dont cry about it .Be like me.Just dont go ,you are not missing anything.

I actually think that Thai people - particularly the people running the country - don't have a clue about farangs, our  lifestyle, society, or the way we live. 

Undoubtedly someone governmental made a  wild guess at $25,000 being a reasonable kind of pocket-money sum for someone foreign, without having the vaguest idea whether this was a lot of money or not.

And quickly found out the reality.

9 minutes ago, rott said:

I missed that. Where do I find it.?

Google "expat travel bonus thailand" or something similar and you should find it.  Here's a list of participating hotels:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BVpwagf4slI7sctyeyn755z4JvdIA1my/view

and here's a news article on it:

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/11/18/tat-launches-expat-travel-bonus-campaign-special-deals-only-for-expats-in-thailand/

AirAsia, Nok Air and one other I can't recall at the moment are the airline's involved.

Archived