New reno started

Bagwain

I am going to do a flowing picture thread with a Reno we just started in Phuket. 

Approx 10 yr old pool. 10 x 4 with a Jacuzzi.

Original job done well actually. (Unusual as to what we normally tackle)

Demolish existing surface. 

IMG-20200915-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20200915-WA0005.jpg

8_IMG-20200915-WA0007.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, johng said:

The  "sharp" corners around the steps  look  like the could cause a few injuries to the unwary

if it where my pool all corners and 90 degrees angles would have large radiuses..I'm always stubbing my toes on something ????

They are not aharp. The tiles are beveled!

In the US pools are typically plastered with tile around the water-line. What are the advantages and disadvantages of going all tile?

And why are most all the pools here so shallow?

Edited by Yellowtail
added text

On 12/1/2020 at 4:30 PM, Yellowtail said:

In the US pools are typically plastered with tile around the water-line. What are the advantages and disadvantages of going all tile?

We also tile around the waterline if the pool is an skimmer system. If overfllow then we can PebbleCrete over the edges. We also use tile as barrier breaks to help with PebbleCrete application. We do a special grout that last a lot longer. As apposed to plaster pools, PebbeleCrete last as long as the pool & gets better with age! Quartz crystal based and has a 5 yr product warranty. Most waterparks PebbleCrete due  to it wearability & longivity!

There is a higher % of pools more shallow here. I think it is age related. Probably more in Phuket, than Pattaya!

Edited by Bagwain

34 minutes ago, THAIPHUKET said:

Could the jacuzzi also serve as a counter-current for swim training? 

It certainly can. In this pool though, a lot of demolision and concrete removal would need to be done. Then the concrete wall would have to be core drilled. A big job.

1 hour ago, Bagwain said:

It certainly can. In this pool though, a lot of demolision and concrete removal would need to be done. Then the concrete wall would have to be core drilled. A big job.

It would be better suited to either of each end though!

We did 2 in this pool. We had them running whilst filling with water!

This pool was a standard 1.5 m depth.

2 x 3 hp pumps to run these.

04032013(008).thumb.jpg.a654a75fc6b5144545dceefd04473007.jpg04032013(001).thumb.jpg.d6f07aa404bda55898db23965b6f3e1c.jpg

Edited by Bagwain

On 12/1/2020 at 3:13 PM, Bagwain said:

We are renovating an existing pool not building a new one!

Or haven't you noticed?

Also quite capable to do any design! 

Which I have done many times.

If you can't take critique maybe don't post, like you say it's a renovation for someone... not everyone has the same taste...

If you do laps or play around you don't need a deep pool. If you prefer a nice temperature you don't want a deep pool. A shallow pool is cheaper to build and cost less in equipment? If you only do laps or play 120 cm is enough to enjoy. Maybe Thais think you can not drown in a shallow pool? What is the advantage of a deep pool anyway?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

If you can't take critique maybe don't post, like you say it's a renovation for someone... not everyone has the same taste...

Nothing to do with critique. He told from the beginning it is a renovation. Indeed not everybody has the same taste I hate these rounded pools and different depths . If I make a pool I want to do laps the condo from my son in BKK has these nice long so called beautiful pools (3) but no strait line for laps.

Edited by SomchaiCNX
  • Like 1

If you do laps or play around you don't need a deep pool. If you prefer a nice temperature you don't want a deep pool. A shallow pool is cheaper to build and cost less in equipment? If you only do laps or play 120 cm is enough to enjoy. Maybe Thais think you can not drown in a shallow pool? What is the advantage of a deep pool anyway?

11 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Right on the ball SomchaiCNX! Everyone to their own tastes! I personally like a deep end as when I like to jump in I do a back flip into the deep end. Howevere I am getting to Frig@in old for that. Trouble with the depth is the temperature! Shallow warmer, deeper cooler! This has a major diffrence to what you like. I have a long time in the industry with also the health side. Colder water is great for the nervious system if used the right way. Warmer is good for rehab! I could go on for ages. But this is the main 2. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bagwain said:

Right on the ball SomchaiCNX! Everyone to their own tastes! I personally like a deep end as when I like to jump in I do a back flip into the deep end. Howevere I am getting to Frig@in old for that. Trouble with the depth is the temperature! Shallow warmer, deeper cooler! This has a major diffrence to what you like. I have a long time in the industry with also the health side. Colder water is great for the nervious system if used the right way. Warmer is good for rehab! I could go on for ages. But this is the main 2. 

I know a triathlon athlete that complained about the cold water during the Thai winter in the north. Olympic pool at the old sea game stadion in CNX. He moved to Phuket during the winter whenever possible. I have arthrose so that's why I like a warmer pool ???? And yes I understand the deep side but I'm getting to old for that.  If I build a pool I want to use it, not just to have one or to show off. 

23 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

I think the typical pool in the US has a deep end and a shallow end. The deep end is for diving.

I don't doubt a shallow pool is cheaper, but I don't think tile is cheaper than plaster, and all the pools here seem tiled while most of the pools in the US are plastered.

I was wondering about the advantages and disadvantages of plaster verses tile. 

16 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I think the typical pool in the US has a deep end and a shallow end. The deep end is for diving.

I don't doubt a shallow pool is cheaper, but I don't think tile is cheaper than plaster, and all the pools here seem tiled while most of the pools in the US are plastered.

I was wondering about the advantages and disadvantages of plaster verses tile. 

1st, I have never seen a plastered pool in Thailand. Epoxy coated yes. (Needs redoing on a regular basis as they don't know how to apply it properly. "In general")

2/ Tiling is cheap in Thailand due to labour costs.

3/ I prefer only to deal in PebbleCrete as it is the hardest surface on the market and gets better with age. 

4/ Average domestic pool - Tiling takes 2-3 weeks. PebbleCrete 2-3 days.

Pic of a PebbleCrete pool we did approx 3 yrs ago!

20201203_131037_1600x777.thumb.jpg.ed16f4e2abe82297f4106d5051781225.jpg 

Correct me if I'm wrong but this Pebblecrete is imported by an Australian based company?

A French Company imported another technique with liners  but now their former Thai partner is their competition.

Maybe no American company thinks it's worth the risk to start with the plastering technique here?