First time retirement visa: use Thai Visa Centre agent or a legal firm in Bangkok?

Hello,

I’m applying for my first retirement visa. I'm considering using Thai Visa Centre or a well-known legal firm in Bangkok to process my in-country non-O visa retirement. I want to choose the best agent b/c COVID has changed options for getting a first time retirement visa, most notably needing an agent to get one in-country. 

Is it better to use a lawyer (more expensive 52k baht with multiple entries; without 48k) or TVC agent (35k not sure if that includes multiple entries; waiting for reply from them)?

My concern is if there are problems later such as immigration changes regarding getting a non-O in-country, would I be safer with a legal firm. 

Will a legal firm have more clout if the problem arise?

Thank you.

There is no need for engaging an agent or a legal firm for something as simple as applying in-country for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa.

>> I did PM you a comprehensive Guideline document for long-stay in Thailand for +50 years of age, which outlines all the details and options of such application.

To access your PM messages just click the letter icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

22 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Do the 12 month extension (it is not a visa) yourself.

1,900 Baht and easy.

It appears that the OP is applying for a non o retirement inside Thailand. It's a visa.

It is a simple process provided he can satisfy the financial requirements.

Subsequently the annual extension can be obtained. Again provided he can provide financials.

OP, out of curiosity, what kind of permission of stay are you currently on? Unless I'm missing something, an in-country non imm o visa requires a visa exempt 30 day entry or 60 day tourist entry. Both of these are hard to get with the borders closed. Did you recently enter, with a subsequent 14-day quarantine?

5 minutes ago, JimGant said:

OP, out of curiosity, what kind of permission of stay are you currently on? Unless I'm missing something, an in-country non imm o visa requires a visa exempt 30 day entry or 60 day tourist entry. Both of these are hard to get with the borders closed. Did you recently enter, with a subsequent 14-day quarantine?

If the OP entered visa exempt or tourist for last entry into Thailand, he can apply for non O retirement/marriage at immigration.

Mmmm 1.900 Baht or up to 52.000 Baht, which one would I do.....the answer is simple.

I have a lot better things to do with my money than give it to an agent ,God forbid a lawyer.

Sure I was a bit apprehensive when I did my first one, the last few years it's actually gotten

easier ,there are enough posts on here explaining what you need,it's just bits of paper.......

regards Worgeordie

My advice is contrary to those above. For the first extension I would suggest to use an agent for the simple reason that there might be unexpected issues as you first transition.

Which is exactly what I ran into earlier this year when I went to do my first extension at CW. Without going into details it was owing to a paperwork mistake I had unknowingly made (no, not in the application itself but to do with my previous status). The agent helping me (from TSL Associates) sorted the matter out after a fair bit of discussion with the IO, though I did have to make a quick roundtrip in that time to my former workplace to get docs from HR that the IO wanted.

Could I have resolved the matter on my own? Maybe, but it would certainly have been difficult given I am not a fluent Thai speaker and the stress of my legal status hanging in the balance would have been particularly unpleasant. To my mind the agent easing me through was worth every baht I paid.

Next year? Should be a routine DIY.

Added: As the guy above says, this forum is an invaluable resource for info re DIY. I assiduously make notes everytime I see relevant info. Thanks all!

Added after rereading OP: You should be fine with any reputed agent or legal firm that does this kind of work. The agent eases the way by (a) communicating well with the IO (often being on friendly terms from multiple visits) (b) dropping a little tea money.  There is no need for "legal clout" at the IO. And once your PP has a valid stamp you're good to go. You'll have no issues till your extension expires.

3 hours ago, Why Me said:

My advice is contrary to those above. For the first extension I would suggest to use an agent for the simple reason that there might be unexpected issues as you first transition.

Which is exactly what I ran into earlier this year when I went to do my first extension at CW. Without going into details it was owing to a paperwork mistake I had unknowingly made (no, not in the application itself but to do with my previous status). The agent helping me (from TSL Associates) sorted the matter out after a fair bit of discussion with the IO, though I did have to make a quick roundtrip in that time to my former workplace to get docs from HR that the IO wanted.

Could I have resolved the matter on my own? Maybe, but it would certainly have been difficult given I am not a fluent Thai speaker and the stress of my legal status hanging in the balance would have been particularly unpleasant. To my mind the agent easing me through was worth every baht I paid.

Next year? Should be a routine DIY.

Added: As the guy above says, this forum is an invaluable resource for info re DIY. I assiduously make notes everytime I see relevant info. Thanks all!

Added after rereading OP: You should be fine with any reputed agent or legal firm that does this kind of work. The agent eases the way by (a) communicating well with the IO (often being on friendly terms from multiple visits) (b) dropping a little tea money.  There is no need for "legal clout" at the IO. And once your PP has a valid stamp you're good to go. You'll have no issues till your extension expires.

please go into details.

what was wrong with your application 

8 hours ago, JimGant said:

Op did not mention it, but from what he wrote I presume he would enter Thailand on the new 60-day TouristVisa, which would allow him in the last 15 days of the permission to stay that Visa would provide him on entry, to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa at the IO of the province where he intends to stay.

never use a lawyer:

1st; go ask at your immigration!!! as many have different rules

IF you have the 800,000 in the bank for 2 months or can show at least 4-6 months of deposits/transfers into ur thai bank from overseas (1st time application) before the date of ur application..... do it yourself.  1,900 baht

If for whatever reason u cant do the financials ,, use thai visa center

FYI:
a multiple re entry permit for tvc is 4,000 baht,  do it yourself for 3,800
Dont forget your tm30 needs be done

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

If the OP entered visa exempt or tourist for last entry into Thailand, he can apply for non O retirement/marriage at immigration.

Yeah, the way it used to be. I was just curious about the OP, since visa exempt border entries are on hold, and tourist visas are limited to the special tourist visa category, with numbers limited to 1200, certain countries exempted, 14 day quarantine, coe's, etc. So, just curious about the OP's current permission of stay circumstances...

Peter Denis has put a lot of time and a lot of effort into his checklist.

If you read it carefully and follow his advice, you should be able to complete your extension without problem.

His checklist is informative, up-to-date, accurate...and absolutely free.

17 minutes ago, JimGant said:

So, just curious about the OP's current permission of stay circumstances...

Not one follow up post from OP, which is always disappointing.

My guess is that he entered visa exempt or tourist visa and has been on amnesty and perhaps extension since.

Now looking for agent to obtain a non o from that last entry into Thailand and perhaps annual extension based on retirement or .....

He mentioned TVC agent so again just a guess but think he wants/needs agent option.

I already suggested earlier that he does not need a lawyer. In fact the lawyer will most likely use agent that they are familiar with.

49 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Yeah, the way it used to be. I was just curious about the OP, since visa exempt border entries are on hold, and tourist visas are limited to the special tourist visa category, with numbers limited to 1200, certain countries exempted, 14 day quarantine, coe's, etc. So, just curious about the OP's current permission of stay circumstances...

You cannot apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa from the STV (limited only to low-risk covid countries). 

But irrespective of age/nationality, you can now apply for the 60-day TouristVisa (which is not the same as the STV) and which would allow a subsequent 90-day Non Imm O Visa application.

Since a few days also the requirement to have 500K THB seasoned for 6 months on your bank-account has been scrapped (as it was obviously blocking many to apply for that Visa option as nobody in his right mind keeps 500K unmoved for 6 months on a regular bank-account).

Just now, Peter Denis said:

But irrespective of age/nationality, you can now apply for the 60-day TouristVisa (which is not the same as the STV) and which would allow a subsequent 90-day Non Imm O Visa application.

Thanks, Peter. Was not aware of this avenue. In fact, looking at the Thai Embassy Wash DC website, I don't even see where I would have this option, should I need it? Is this visa restricted to certain countries.?

(Apologize for being obtuse -- I don't read TV cover to cover, so probably have missed some pertinent Inm information.)

To be 100% certain I used an agent. She only charges me 30,000 baht per month. For that I also get benefits in kind and her house to live in. It was also a money back guarantee for the retirement extension as I told her she only gets the 30k a month if I'm here.

Seriously, it depends how many boxes the op can't tick. 

38 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Thanks, Peter. Was not aware of this avenue. In fact, looking at the Thai Embassy Wash DC website, I don't even see where I would have this option, should I need it? Is this visa restricted to certain countries.?

(Apologize for being obtuse -- I don't read TV cover to cover, so probably have missed some pertinent Imm information.)

Hi Jim,

No problem.  It is difficult keeping up with the almost daily changes on options to return to Thailand.

Many of the Embassies/Consulates websites have not yet been updated on these latest changes (the usual Thai chaos/confusion we are all accustomed to and love so much...).

Attached the link to the thread (obviously quite popular).

55 minutes ago, DaLa said:

To be 100% certain I used an agent. She only charges me 30,000 baht per month. For that I also get benefits in kind and her house to live in. It was also a money back guarantee for the retirement extension as I told her she only gets the 30k a month if I'm here.

Seriously, it depends how many boxes the op can't tick. 

Not making much sense of the above comment, If she is your gf she  might be taking advantage.

Sorry for my late response. I was on an education visa before Covid, and after that a medical visa. I've been told (by an agent and a law firm) they will convert me to a Non-O/retirement visa and help with bank requirements. 

My overriding concern is which source (agent or lawyer) offers more of an insurance policy for any future problems (e.g. like TVC's legal issues earlier this year, which worried a few people who used them for visa). 

It seems to me a legal firm and their customers would have less to worry about.

Thank you in advance.

2 minutes ago, ambj1994 said:
Sorry for my late response. I was on an education visa before Covid, and after that a medical visa. I've been told (by an agent and a law firm) they will convert me to a Non-O/retirement visa and help with bank requirements. 

My overriding concern is which source (agent or lawyer) offers more of an insurance policy for any future problems (e.g. like TVC's legal issues earlier this year, which worried a few people who used them for visa). 

Thank you in advance.

Nothing resulted from unrelated police visit to TVC earlier this year. Putting TVC aside, you have many options regarding use of agent.

My advice is to use one with office, website (legit) and known. 

Regards legal firm....you will find most use an agent they are familiar with. 

Forget your "insurance policy" comment.

The stamps and even receipts from imm are 100% legit. Disregard the nonsense anti agent cowboys on Thaivisa. They seriously have no idea.

For the record I don't need or use agent for my situation, however have helped friends needing their services. 

19 hours ago, ambj1994 said:

Since you mentioned in your original post that it would be your 'first retirement Visa' I presumed that you planned or actually did enter on the 60-day Tourist Visa, because ONLY applicants on a Tourist Visa (or those having entered Thailand VisaExempt) can apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa at their local IO.  My initial response and the PM I did sent you were based on that presumption.

However, you now indicated that you are staying in Thailand on a 'medical Visa' and hence you can only apply for an extension of stay, and your options are limited to what the initial Visa on which you entered Thailand allows you.  Be aware that when you apply for a 1-year extension of stay, that IO will require evidence that you met the (financial) requirements during the previous period your Visa or extension provided you.  And also that when changing the reason for your application (in your case from medical to retirement) that the new 1-year extension of stay will start from date of application (and not from the end date of your current permission to stay).

Archived