Is dual pricing at Thai golf courses still an issue?

ASEAN NOW Golf

Is dual pricing at Thai golf courses still an issue?

Screenshot 2020-11-26 at 15.34.57.png

Image: Screenshot of an 'offer' in 2019 from one golf club in Thailand where dual pricing was in place

Living in Pattaya I can only talk about my own observations, but one of our viewers recently asked if we could post a topic on this thorny subject.

They mentioned that the Navy Courses adopted dual pricing. Maybe so, and I suppose as they were originally opened to allow navy personnel to play, it would be fair to assume that they would get preferential treatment and rates.

That said, when I went to Plutaluang Navy Course last Saturday, and their rates were posted for all to see by reception. Green Fee THB200, Caddie Fee THB300 and Cart THB500. These rates were for weekdays and weekends, until end of December. 

Carts were not compulsory on Weekdays, therefore at THB500 a round weekdays, the club is offering great value already.

Sure, the dual pricing issue, especially at palaces and museums, has been wildly condemned and it would seem public pressure has made a difference.

Golf course owners can be a fickle bunch. Some clubs who rely on golf vacationers, try to keep rates high, but I am sure quietly offer locals a lower rate. 

However, from what I can see, Covid 19 has had a major impact on bookings, and hopefully it is slowly seeing the end of dual pricing.

With prices so low is there any point in clubs offering dual pricing?

But who better to ask than you golfers out there? What are your experiences over the past 6 months?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thaivisa Golf said:

did not think there was a high season this winter????

Nor did I but I have discovered this last week that some courses are definitely raising prices -

Treasure Hill putting their green fee up to 850 in December and all in 1400.

KK said to me today for next week (so December) gf 950 - currently 750 and "promotion" price gf+cf+c 1700 - currently 1250...............

KK = Khao Kheow

Edited by topt

Haven't seen many "foreigner" separate pricing but I guess they diguise it by giving the reduced rate to Thai residents.  I live here and have a Thai drivers license so never an issue to get the lower rate.

The courses do seem pretty slow generally the rates I have been paying are 1/2 to 1/3 of normal rates for this time of year.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Haven't seen many "foreigner" separate pricing but I guess they diguise it by giving the reduced rate to Thai residents.  I live here and have a Thai drivers license so never an issue to get the lower rate.

The courses do seem pretty slow generally the rates I have been paying are 1/2 to 1/3 of normal rates for this time of year.

Your Thai drivers license get you a lower rate where?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darkside Gray said:

Can hardly call it a golf course. Goat track yes!

Yes, I do think it is very low for anyone to complain about reduced cost for military personnel.  It is common place worldwide just a deserved benefit for serving their country. Reduced costs for locals for many activities are not uncommon in many countries.

Those course options are mostly for high handicappers or those who cannot afford the green fee, caddie fee at a real course. But, it is less then 10 bucks sad if people even complain about that.

• Like 1

All clubs or nearly all have dual pricing but nothing to do with Thai/Farang.

You make an arrangement for 20 guys to play 3 times a month on their quietest day of the week & you will get a remarkable discount. If we didn't would go somewhere else.

Anyway going to for example a National Park why should not Thais get a lower price than Farangs?. In a round about way it partly belongs to them

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes, I do think it is very low for anyone to complain about reduced cost for military personnel.  It is common place worldwide just a deserved benefit for serving their country. Reduced costs for locals for many activities are not uncommon in many countries.

Those course options are mostly for high handicappers or those who cannot afford the green fee, caddie fee at a real course. But, it is less then 10 bucks sad if people even complain about that.

Funny coming from the guy who takes his own diet coke to restaurants, classic kineow

On 11/26/2020 at 5:23 PM, bkk6060 said:

So where do you get a lower rate showing your Thai DL ? Where are the courses that are 50% or 33% lower?  Thanks

1 hour ago, keithsimmonds said:

So where do you get a lower rate showing your Thai DL ? Where are the courses that are 50% or 33% lower?  Thanks

It depends on your age and the day and time you play.

Burapha, Greenwood, Eastern Star, Crystal Bay,  Green Valley to name a few are greatly reduced from their normal high season prices.

If they post a "visitor rate" and you have proof that you are a resident not on holiday at several of the places you can get a reduced rate.  But, you need to ask and usually show ID that you live here.  

King Naga is another which is not that great but at least 18 holes never crowded is now 850 b on sport days everything included.

I suggest you get on the phone and ask as promotions and rates are constantly changing.

Also are you a PSC member? Attached are the recent PSC rates.

PSC Golf Rates - November 2020.pdf

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Crystal Bay, 

What rate do you manage to get here as they have a flat high/low season rate of 750 and have had for a few years? Our group managed to get a whole 50 baht reduction on that recently.......

That is the PSC rate.

22 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

It depends on your age and the day and time you play.

Burapha, Greenwood, Eastern Star, Crystal Bay,  Green Valley to name a few are greatly reduced from their normal high season prices.

If they post a "visitor rate" and you have proof that you are a resident not on holiday at several of the places you can get a reduced rate.  But, you need to ask and usually show ID that you live here.  

King Naga is another which is not that great but at least 18 holes never crowded is now 850 b on sport days everything included.

I suggest you get on the phone and ask as promotions and rates are constantly changing.

Also are you a PSC member? Attached are the recent PSC rates.

PSC Golf Rates - November 2020.pdf 68.11 kB · 3 downloads

I am a member of  PSC and i am constantly looking and listening for up coming offers. Never played Crystal Bay or Green Valley so no comment the other 3 courses my Thai DL counts for nothing nor my Pink card,in fact since the resumption of golf the only place my Thai DL has got me any thing is a 100baht discount at Emerald..good on them though.

1 hour ago, keithsimmonds said:

I am a member of  PSC and i am constantly looking and listening for up coming offers. Never played Crystal Bay or Green Valley so no comment the other 3 courses my Thai DL counts for nothing nor my Pink card,in fact since the resumption of golf the only place my Thai DL has got me any thing is a 100baht discount at Emerald..good on them though.

Using a Thai driving licence is just a myth, no one asks for it. Golf courses don't even check for PSC card if you go with a bar group 

26 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Using a Thai driving licence is just a myth, no one asks for it. Golf courses don't even check for PSC card if you go with a bar group 

Ha.

How would you know?

You admit in previous posts that you do not even play golf in Thailand as you do not want to pay the caddie fee.  So, any input you have on these golf threads seems out of touch, out of date and meaningless.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Ha.

How would you know?

You admit in previous posts that you do not even play golf in Thailand as you do not want to pay the caddie fee.  So, any input you have on these golf threads seems out of touch, out of date and meaningless.

Maybe you're losing your memory and by the way you are avoiding the question further up about the prices you've paid, what you said sounds made up. As for me I played most of the courses in the Pattaya circuit for 5 years, I then switched to the Sattahip Navy courses 

• 3 months later...

I played at a golf course in Melbourne when I was on holiday 3/4 years ago. 

I was charged over $400 for a round but my Australian friend was charged $200, so less of the Thai double pricing moans. Thais pay 5,000 baht more than Ozzies. 

If you are a member of the Royal Bangkok golf club, you get discount. 

Some golf courses in Scotland also give discount to locals. 

Edited by Neeranam