Brexit negotiations restart in person as clock ticks down

rooster59

5 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

I see the National Farmers Union has today (to placate  those who will accuse me of cherry picking - it was OBR yesterday) of the ‘catastrophic scenario of a no deal brexit’ 

Cue a brexiteer saying they don’t know what they’re talking about or adding them to their humoungus list of bias parties ????

I can't see anything like that on their site, where did this come from?

• Like 1

I see the National Farmers Union has today (to placate  those who will accuse me of cherry picking - it was OBR yesterday) of the ‘catastrophic scenario of a no deal brexit’ 

Cue a brexiteer saying they don’t know what they’re talking about or adding them to their humoungus list of bias parties ????

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 7by7 said:

It seems that the government, as well as most poultry farmers in the UK, do not share the Grocer's view!

I am reminded, @nauseus, that the NFU don't, either.

One million people sign food standards petition

They do not want to see chlorinated chicken or hormone-fed beef on their supermarket shelves and nor do they want to see food imported which has been produced in lower welfare or environmental systems than is legally allowed in this country.  Farmers, animal welfare groups, environmentalists and now the public have made their voices clear.

Despite it's biased, misleading headline (surprise, surprise, where do they get their subs from?) even the Express had to admit it

"When we hear about the chlorination of chicken, I think the chlorination bit is actually slightly misleading.

"People think about chlorine, but actually the challenge with the US production system is that their chicken production uses five times the level of antibiotics that our production in the UK does.

"We're really proud to have reduced our antibiotic use dramatically in UK farming."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 7by7 said:

I am reminded, @nauseus, that the NFU don't, either.

One million people sign food standards petition

Despite it's biased, misleading headline (surprise, surprise, where do they get their subs from?) even the Express had to admit it

OMG it's back to the chlorinated KFC again!

Nitey nite - don't let the tv bedbugs bite.

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

And yet you keep missing. 

Give up and emigrate to an EU hell hole. 

ouch touchy ! 

Given you haven’t come up with any economic answers in 4 years I would say it’s a direct hit every time - only it’s getting tedious pulling Brexiteers apart now. 

Any hell holes in particular ? Moss Side ? Toxteth? Any U.K. coastal town ? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nauseus said:
16 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

Expand  

I can't see anything like that on their site, where did this come from?

The NFU have actually been warning of the catastrophe of a no deal Brexit for at least two years now!

No-deal Brexit 'catastrophic' for British farming 24/9/18

Why a no-deal Brexit is catastrophic for British farming 10/4/19

Welsh (NFU) farming chief says no-deal Brexit "hugely concerning" 16/10/20

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

OMG it's back to the chlorinated KFC again!

Yep, more facts.

6 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Nitey nite - don't let the tv bedbugs bite.

Nighty, night. Hope the facts don't give you nightmares!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Well the last one didn't and top of the list was the NFU site I looked at.

Wonder what you put in.

I put "NFU warns of no deal Brexit" and the links I posted above were all on the first page!

Though I admit, not the first result. That was A no-deal Brexit must be avoided at all costs, UK Farming Roundtable warns 15/1/19.

I used the three I did to avoid duplication and as I wanted to give an even spread; I also put them into date order

You'll notice that all links, except the Welsh one, are from the NFU website.

Edited by 7by7
Addendum
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Wrong; again. 

How many more times do you have to be reminded of what it actually said on Boris' bus?

The Vote Leave campaign bus in May 2016.

Symbol of democracy? When Boris lied about the amount we paid and lied about what he'd do with the money we saved?

Then you voted to sacrifice the economic benefits of membership to attain something we already had!

Not the big red bus regurgitated,read what it says" lets " not exactly a legally binding agreement,anyway pales into insignificance when one considers the lies told by project fear.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hi from France said:

as it turns out, the EU purpose is to protect and help european farming develop. 

US farming is completely different and uses lowers standards to produce cheaper food (and more obesity). The EU know very well the UK and UE interests converge (and diverge from those of the USA).

Thus quality food, rules of origins are as precious to the UK as to the EU.

It is very unlikely the UK will sacrifice his farmers to get a deal with the USA. Farming is much much bigger than fishing

On the other hand the agricultural subsidy system is deeply corrupt.

The Money Farmers: How Oligarchs and Populists Milk the E.U. for Millions - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Who Keeps Europe’s Farm Billions Flowing? Often, Those Who Benefit - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

And there's this

Europe must act on intensive farming to save wildlife, scientists say | Food | The Guardian

The Common Agricultural Policy | Friends of the Earth Europe (foeeurope.org)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Hi from France said:

because we followed the debates in the Commons and listened to the speeches of prominent brexiters.

The aim of Brexit is 1/to turn the UK into some "Singapore on Thames", drain EU companies headquarters with low taxation and 2/undermine europeans industries with lower regulatory standards (faster rule making, but also lower pay for workers, higher pollution...). As well as subzidzing heavily some industries (like One Web bought by the decision of Cummings)

We can have that with China 7800 kilometers away and not on the single market, same from Canada 6800 km away.

... Now, accepting that "a channel tunnel away from us" in another matter entirely.

That's why the level playing field is a prerequisite for the UK to gain access to the single market.

So who decides what is a level playing field? The EU,the UK or both? And what happens if neither can agree, as it is now?

17 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Then I await your definitive quote from it, with page number(s), once you've read it.

Roman Law and the Idea of Europe - Kaius Tuori

Introduction (page 1, para 1, first sentence).

"This book explores the controversial role of ancient Rome and its legal heritage,
Roman law, in the making of the idea of a shared European legal tradition".

7 hours ago, Hi from France said:

Plain and simple, this is what happens when you deal with a bigger player than you. 

But don't worry, the other major players US and China will want a piece of you too and they might be be a bit more brutal. I suppose you can see how China deals with Australia right now : they do not negotiate for years, simply blackmail the "weakest party" into submission. 

Now, there's not much there to complain about, between world powers "it's just business" and this is how the UK used to run things in its own empire.

So you support and advocate bullying then?

Thought so.

• Confused 1