Brexit negotiations restart in person as clock ticks down

rooster59

3 hours ago, Hi from France said:

You're fine really, you are contributing seriously and you're welcome correcting my mistakes ????

From remote Thailand, did your position on Brexit change since 2016? Do you think the UK is getting now what was promised then?

Thank you for your kind words. I sometimes either start a post or reply to someone elses and then realise that what I am writing is not what I mean to say, Then it is go into Google and search around for the subject and realise that I was wrong from start to finish and rewrite my post or reply.

Back in 2016 I decided to vote leave though back in 1975 I voted to stay in the EEC. I. along with millions of other people were lied to by the then UK PM, Edward Heath and the Tories. I was quite happy remaining in the EEC but over the years it changed politically and morphed into the monster that it is now which of course is the EU.

Back then there was no internet, mobile phones etc so it was much easier to hide things  from the voters. The EU changed from the EEC with little political control to where it is now with 27 countries plus the UK, each having the opion of vetoing and in many cases trying to get 27/28 countries to agree on something is almost impossible.

Back to the 2016 referendum.

My [position hasn't changed and I voted to leave and not remain. The PM at the time, David Cameron stated that leave means leave completely. No hard or soft Brexit, just in or out. There was a referendum with Leave or remain as the only 2 options and the Leavers won the vote democratically and expected the rest of the country to follow. It was a badly worded and thought out referendum given by a PM who thought he would win hands down.

It has split the UK and in the 4 1/2 years since the referendum there are a lot of hard core Remainers who have constantly fought against that result, quite a few are on TVF and from me they will remain nameless. Their opinion is worth the same as mine. 

At the end of this month the UK will leave the EU with or without a deal but perhaps a fuded up compromise which will satisfy both sides but in name only. Next year it will rumble on I expect.

Would I change my vote. Not at all but I would love to change a lot of the politicians on both sides if only I could.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nauseus said:

It seems that you include my ID "nauseus" intentionally so that I will not only read this absurd rubbish, but also repost it, which I certainly won't be doing.

Choose another bait but make it tasty.

Wrong.

I included your ID because you are the one who posts about the absurd notion that there is an EU army more frequently than any one else; as the context makes clear.

That he said he saw my first post because you quoted it is a side issue.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Wrong.

I included your ID because you are the one who posts about the absurd notion that there is an EU army more frequently than any one else; as the context makes clear.

That he said he saw my first post because you quoted it is a side issue.

Wrong.

It looks like you included my ID because you want to draw me into yet another argument.

I have posted that the EU intend to have an army but not that they have one already. Supporting evidence was provided then. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hi from France said:

Thank you

Above all one very important thing, as a Erasmus student in the UK I was, quite disappointed hearing the english talk about the EEC "we cannot avoid it", the least you can say is even the most learned had very little enthusiasm and had this feeling like looking down on us while profiting without contributing and most of the time vetoing  the construction of Europe.

Anyway I'm very proud on my European citizenship and enjoy the free movement for my holidays

so I really see no problem in the brits leaving, for me it's a "take back control" and "get our savings back from London" moment. It's an opportunity and I'm still amazed by how stupid this move was. My feeling is the brits has it all and lost it stupidly reading idiotic tabloids. They had the financial leadership, with the European Banking Authority of the EU, they had the medical leadership with the European Medicines Agency, or the security center for  Galileo, now we have them back. They had japanese transplants manufacturing our cars, now we'll get them back...

Anyway, until now we are both happy. I get back what belongs to me and you're free to sail away who knows where.. (I really wonder where are the sunlit uplands promised to you, its no fun being on your own in the new de-globalized world we see today)

The real problem come when I read your posts and things like that

there I see reed (likewise with the other poster here, less kind/serious than you but with the same rethoric => the EU as some third-Reich monster with tentacles). 

please understand I really resent reading this, even more than the brits putting our fishermen out of business because their EEZ was extended in 1982

Now we go from a position of near indifference "dear neighbor do you business separately it's fine, really" and "I'm not sure why we let you in in the first place" to a situation in which I really feel the need to make you swallow back your words. 

As well as Boris Jonhson's words that we in France are "Little turds"...

There are 36 hours left for the negotiations (which were sometimes fun to watch but mostly quite awful)

.. and to my surprise now I'm really ready to loose some money knowing each time we pay one €, the UK will pay six times that.

This is clearly a loose-loose for the benefit of Russia, China, the USA .... but I'd enjoy it a bit nonetheless ????

Hola, Lose Lose, or was it Jose Jose? Big words. Joose Joose even bigger.

In all likelihood this will work out, some broken toes here and there, otherwise OK.

re vaccination in UK next week before EU approval of the drug,

are those adhering to EU legislation free to do so when feeling pressed or

is BJ fiddling int. agr. again

last time WA/Irish border, very recently,

BJ received massive flak from within and outside UK, political level, msm and plebs

the criticism here on TVF was rather massive, he got way more than deserved me thinks

ayway, will he pass with flying colours completely flak free this time

just wondering

2 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I think you are right.  Cameron massively underestimated how easily the people in the UK could be manipulated by lies and bull.  If it had remained as a simple in or out without any explanation of the possible consequences then it would probably have been a very different result.  However it became a political football and as usual with political footballs, the truth was very quickly kicked into touch. 

What we have now is damage limitation but with a suicide jockey in the chair.  Like the USA under Trump, the UK has lost a lot of it's credibility and we are stuck with mess  of a government for some time to come.

28 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Don't flatter yourself.

Whatever form of words you've used in your numerous posts on the subject; none of the 'evidence' you provided supported any intention by the EU to create an Army independent of member states and answerable only to the Commission.

If you want to post your 'evidence' again, up to you; but doing so wont change the facts.

OK but for anyone that might be interested in real facts, check section 5, particularly "Defence Union" and especially Macron's comment. 

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/resources/library/media/20171023RES86651/20171023RES86651.pdf

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

OK but for anyone that might be interested in real facts, check section 5, particularly "Defence Union" and especially Macron's comment. 

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/resources/library/media/20171023RES86651/20171023RES86651.pdf

You can post that as much as you like; but the EDA, which is made up of the armed forces of each member state apart from Denmark, is not, and never will be, the same as an EU army!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 7by7 said:

You can post that as much as you like; but the EDA, which is made up of the armed forces of each member state apart from Denmark, is not, and never will be, the same as an EU army!

Ah! So a European "fully deployable European armed force by the beginning of the next decade" is not an EU Army then. Righty Ho. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, david555 said:

( mean time ....from good old fun Express ... ????)

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1367603/Brexit-news-house-of-lords-boris-johnson-eu-state-aid-rules-blocked-latest

Lords inflict defeat on Boris’ Brexit plans as plot to ditch EU state aid rules HALTED
BORIS JOHNSON has suffered a humiliating Brexit defeat as the House of Lords backed a Labour motion urging a delay to the dumping of EU state aid rules.

By LAURA O'CALLAGHAN
PUBLISHED: 00:00, Thu, Dec 3, 2020 | UPDATED: 00:10, Thu, Dec 3, 2020

Peers backed the regret motion by 278 votes to 258 in a ballot in the upper chamber on Wednesday evening. The vote marks an embarrassing defeat for the Government over a move to ditch EU state aid rules in the absence of an agreed new post-Brexit subsidy regime for the UK.

The vote comes just four weeks from the end of the Brexit transition period. Ministers had argued with the ending of the period, Brussels would no longer have any jurisdiction in the UK and so "makes no sense to leave these rules on our statute book".

Fierce criticism in the Lords came about in response to a Government regulation, which would see the UK from January 1 follow World Trade Organisation (WTO) rules on subsidies and other international commitments agreed in free trade agreements, with the option to legislate for a home-grown system.

more...

Losing to the HoL is more routine than humiliating these days.

• Like 1