Forum upgrade in progress! ×

COVID in Chiang Mai?

Lacessit

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

My GF is telling me there is a report in Thai on Facebook saying there has been an outbreak of coronavirus in Chiang Mai. Any confirmation of this in other media?

I read about it in the place we can't link.There's also reports in this thread.

42 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

My GF is telling me there is a report in Thai on Facebook saying there has been an outbreak of coronavirus in Chiang Mai. Any confirmation of this in other media?

Your GF is telling the truth

more details here

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/11/28/chiang-mai-officials-announce-domestic-covid-19-case-details-given-at-press-conference-patient-went-to-a-pub-shopping-mall-movies/

the behaviour and the total course of the young thai girl infected are totally astounding

Answers are going to be asked soon, including why she has escaped to the quarantine at the border

• Haha 1

I'm not going to fear monger and say there are tanks in the streets, F16s flying overhead, and a wall around the province that is 10 km high.  I won't scare anyone into believing there are zombies on Loy Kroh drinking beer and falling asleep in their beer....hey, that's my friend!!

i think they said 150 was like affected.  multiply that by 1 billion, divide by 11/4, subtract the square of 87 to the 11th and then multiply by infinity .......  possible number in 11 minutes.  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Aren't Buddhist supposed to stop all these worldly desires or at least try to control them.

And Christians are all about peace and love - not making war... 

And not to the extent you mention, but it was normal for Thai people returning from abroad, usually after a couple of year stint working abroad to have a party in the village... I bet there is such a thing as a homecoming party in your culture too - right?

And no, it is not normal now in the time of covid... but surely 1 person's behaviour does not define a religion... 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

A timeline of the woman's movements. I can't vouch for its accuracy, but the source is usually reliable.

A list of everywhere the COVID-19 positive 29-year-old woman went.

- she entered Thailand illegally on Nov. 21 in Mae Sai, Chiang Rai then caught a bus to Chiang Mai -the name of the bus company isn't mentioned but it's not hard to guess

- she then used Grab to travel from Arcade Bus Station to D Condo Ping in Fa Ham where she lives

- she visited Central Festival Nov. 21-22; the condo she lives in is next door hence she regularly visited

- she was at Kingsway Club KTV on Sirinton Road in Santitham Nov. 24, some reports say she was working there while others say she was visiting

- she went with a "male friend" and stayed at the Vidi Conidium on Santisuk Road, Santitham at 2 a.m. Nov. 25

- she had breakfast at the Chang San restaurant in Santitham Plaza Nov 25 before returning to her condo. - She then had lunch at Shabu Shabu in Central Fest and saw a movie at Major Cineplex Theatre 6 at 4:30 p.m.

- On Nov. 26, she called a Grab to take her to Rajavej Hospital with symptoms including cough, headache, diarrhea and nasal congestion.

- she tested positive to COVID19 at 10 p.m. then was transported to Nakornping Hospital and put in isolation.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

- she entered Thailand illegally on Nov. 21 in Mae Sai, Chiang Rai then caught a bus to Chiang Mai -the name of the bus company isn't mentioned but it's not hard to guess

She is Thai and came in on a bus so why do you say she entered illegally?Are not everybody entering Thailand quarantined?Why wasn't she quarantined?Sounds a bit suss and the authorities a just saying she entered illegally to divert the blame.

• Like 1

A live test of their track and trace system, including the Thai Chana app. (hope you've all still got on your phones up there in CM)

Let's see how effective it really is in practice. They've done well in the past when isolated cases have popped up. I'm confident they'll contain this one as well.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

She is Thai and came in on a bus so why do you say she entered illegally?Are not everybody entering Thailand quarantined?Why wasn't she quarantined?Sounds a bit suss and the authorities a just saying she entered illegally to divert the blame.

The word illegally is used because she either skipped or escaped from quarantine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AlexRich said:

If it were bubonic plague I’d condemn her, what’s the evidence of mass infections following her actions?

There is an incubation period, the next two weeks will provide the evidence one way or the other.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Yes. She’s 24, not 94. 

Really? When I was 24, I didn't smoke or drink alcohol or go partying.

When I reach home from abroad, I would just rest, eat home-made meals and watch TV if I am not working.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There is an incubation period, the next two weeks will provide the evidence one way or the other.

Interesting times ahead for sure! This is an update from last night..... possibly from the same source as @Lacessit previous post.

• From Oct 24 to Nov 23, the woman was in Myanmar. On Nov 23, she developed a fever, watery diarrhoea and lost her sense of smell.
  • On Nov 24, she still had a fever, and developed a cough and a headache. Around 5am on that day, she travelled from Myanmar to Mae Sai district of Chiang Rai by public van.
  • Around 11am on Nov 24, she left Chiang Rai for Chiang Mai by bus.
  • At 2.51pm the same day, the woman arrived at her condominium in a Grab car. That night, she used another Grab car to visit a karaoke bar in the Santitham area with two friends. They smoked a cigarette and shared it.
  • On Nov 25, she stayed overnight at a condominium with one of the friends who had returned from the entertainment venue around 2am. Two other friends who lived in the room opposite came to the room to drink alcohol.
  • About noon on Nov 25, the woman left the condominium in another Grab car. She arrived at her condo building at around 1pm.
  • Between 3.30pm and 8.30pm, she used another Grab car to visit a shopping mall and watched a movie there, had meals and went shopping. She wore a face mask most of the time. She later used another Grab car to return to her condominium.
  • On Nov 26, the woman took a Grab car to a private hospital in Chiang Mai for a medical check-up around 3.30pm after she lost her sense of smell, had watery diarrhoea and a body temperature of 36.9C. She underwent a Covid-19 test.
  • Around 10pm, she was sent to Nakornping Hospital for another Covid-19 test. On Nov 27, the tests turned out positive.

Of the 326 people who came in contact with the woman, 105 were deemed at high risk of infection and 149 low risk. Officials said 72 people were in close contact with her.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If she entered Thailand through the porous border without going through passport control, it will be illegal entry.

31 minutes ago, sanmyintmaung said:

If she entered Thailand through the porous border without going through passport control, it will be illegal entry.

On second thought, she probably entered illegally to avoid the 14 day quarantine. Wasn't she already felling not well in Burma?

Edited by rabas
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, rabas said:

On second thought, she probably entered illegally to avoid the 14 day quarantine. Wasn't she already felling not well in Burma?

Yes, being sick was the first reason why she was back at home in Thailand

it's still astonishing to see her behaviour since her entry in Thailand.

Even with a minimum of knowledge about  the virus she could have done the link with her health problem and at least doing a self quarantine in her condo or go directly at an hospital.

Maybe a brain scan should be required in her case? I bet they''ll find an empty skull

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Quarantining people is not normal, please don't make it acceptable.

Quite acceptable to me, if I thought I was infectious I would do it voluntarily, and I'd accept anything compulsory for the good of other people. What would you do, sir?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Quite acceptable to me, if I thought I was infectious I would do it voluntarily, and I'd accept anything compulsory for the good of other people. What would you do, sir?

Perhaps you should get tested for infection everyday because you maybe infected by someone without knowing in fact you may have already been infected and infected others without knowing and someone may have died because you don't test everyday and your disregard for the personal safety to others by not testing everyday is a gross dereliction of the well being of your fellow humans.If you don't test everyday you should remain in quarantine for the rest of your god forsaken life and live in fear of putting others at risk by your selfish behaviour.Would you do that voluntarily if it reduces the risk to others?What if that was made compulsory by the powers that be would you blindly accept that?Or do you have a limit to how far you would be willing to go?

We can take this kind of thing to any level which is determined by those who hide behind the wall of self righteous protection of putting others at risk.There are so many things that put people at risk and the biggest risk to life is being born.Should we stop people being born because not only are they at risk but they might put others at risk by infecting others with viruses which may cause people to die.

As to what I would do,I would continue with the old normal of risk taking that has been a way of life right up until 2020.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Perhaps you should get tested for infection everyday because you maybe infected by someone without knowing in fact you may have already been infected and infected others without knowing and someone may have died because you don't test everyday and your disregard for the personal safety to others by not testing everyday is a gross dereliction of the well being of your fellow humans.If you don't test everyday you should remain in quarantine for the rest of your god forsaken life and live in fear of putting others at risk by your selfish behaviour.Would you do that voluntarily if it reduces the risk to others?What if that was made compulsory by the powers that be would you blindly accept that?Or do you have a limit to how far you would be willing to go?

We can take this kind of thing to any level which is determined by those who hide behind the wall of self righteous protection of putting others at risk.There are so many things that put people at risk and the biggest risk to life is being born.Should we stop people being born because not only are they at risk but they might put others at risk by infecting others with viruses which may cause people to die.

As to what I would do,I would continue with the old normal of risk taking that has been a way of life right up until 2020.

My my, you do rattle on. A bit of logorrhea creeping in.

It's not rocket science, if I have symptoms such as coughing, sneezing or running a temperature I present myself at the nearest hospital. Then follow the science. If I have no symptoms, then I don't know if I am infected until a medico tells me.

What is your old normal of risk-taking? On a big bike without a helmet, perhaps?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

What is your old normal of risk-taking? On a big bike without a helmet, perhaps?

Funny you should mention that as that's exactly the sort of thing I did and the cops would often try to book me for it until I said if you do I'll film every vehicle that overtakes me on double yellow lines and fill the courts with useless prosecutions then they would walk away saying next time,yeah yeah what ever.I also used to ride no hands down a big hill hanging onto the seat behind my back and my chin over the gooseneck!I would also hang on to trucks going up the same hill and anywhere else I could grab on.I used to ride in Sydney and rarely stop at traffic like and intersections a bit like the movie Premium Rush.Definitely an adrenalin junky really so risks don't worry me that much.I've never and probably will never go to a hospital for coughs and sneezes or a runny nose as I've said before I've suffered to much hay fever I would be making daily visits and if you test positive for Covid you get bunged away into hospital then have to pay all the costs,so not interested at all.The Thais seem to put it into perspective by ignoring this silly virus nonsense until it goes away. 

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Confused 2